E-newsletter causing fatal error - exceeding memory

Hi

I am getting the following after updating e-newsletter.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 523800 bytes) in /home/schoolin/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 766

Please advise

Thanks

Stef

Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

When you run more code, more information being processed, more users loading your site, etc, you need more memory. You can increase.

You could edit your php.ini file or add your own (depending on setup):

memory_limit = 256M

httaccess:

php_value memory_limit 256M

If your PHP supports then you can edit your wp-config.php file and add the following line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '96MB');

You would change the memory in those to whatever it is you require.

If you are not sure how or have further issues then it would be best to ask your host to help you out with this one.

Cheers.

Stefanie

Hi

Finding it a little frustrating with my host who are slowly increasing the allocation but I wondered if the might be something else to this.

E-newsletter has always been fine. Has there been a substantial increase in the need for php memory with the latest version or do you think there is the possibility that something else might be causing the issue.

Thanks for all the help.

Stef

Stefanie

HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPP

I have just noticed this is a problem on every site I have.

Some of these are live and all hell is set to break loose in the Morning.

Please can you provide a link to download a previous version so I can roll back or please can you help me find a way to decrease the memory usage.

I have been in contact with my host and it is going to cost me several hundred £'s to upgrade which I really can't afford for the sake of a plugin update.

Thanks

Stef

Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

How did you find that?

Your error was:

Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes

67108864 bytes = 64 megabytes.

E-newsletter has always been fine. Has there been a substantial increase in the need for php memory with the latest version or do you think there is the possibility that something else might be causing the issue.

Not really that much, but it has included more features that members keep asking for. So it would use more memory.

I have just noticed this is a problem on every site I have.

How many sites you using on the same account?

Keep in mind they all use the same memory, so the more code, the more db queries, the more users you have hitting you site, the more memory you will consume.

You can go back to previous versions from the project page, click on the change log, all versions are then listed. Screenshot included.

I have been in contact with my host and it is going to cost me several hundred £'s to upgrade which I really can't afford for the sake of a plugin update.

Hmmm, even Hostgator allow a max of 256 which is reasonable. Some of the more popular sites I've run or been involved with require much more than that.

Keep in mind it won't be for the sake of a single plugin, especially if you're running multiple websites on a single account.

Lets make an analogy, your hosting account is a single lane narrow road leading to a shop (your site). Each site also has it's own junction onto that road. The cars flow to the site, the busier you become, the wider road (connection & memory) you need.

Stick another few junctions (sites) on there, then add in all the cars (site traffic) from that junction, going down the same road, but to another shop (site).

Well if the road isn't wide enough (connection & memory), then everything is going to bottleneck and go real slow until finally the road degrades and stops being usable (memory exhausted error). You then need to fix that with more investment (connection & memory).

The more strain you put on your host with more plugins, more complex themes, more traffic, the more memory it will require.

Running a multisite installation with multiple sites will also use more memory.

Whether it's now, or further down the line, if you're hitting problems with just this upgrade then you may need to consider swapping host, or upgrading to another solution.

You might also like to check your error logs, your end users could be getting these errors whilst using your site and never reporting it.

Take care.

Stefanie

Hi Timothy

Thanks for the quick response.

I am using a reseller package which allocates set values of resources to each individual domain and so I am not effected by other domain usage.

The site in question only has 1 user which is the test base and is not being logged into by the customer. Typically, I am supposed to hand over on Tuesday!!!

The reason I wonder if there is an issue with e-newsletter, is that the domain and e-newsletter specifically has been operating perfectly with only 64mb of php memory allocated. This has been doubled to 128mb to try to resolve this and it is still not enough. There must have been a substantial increased in load for this plugin as nothing else has been changed.

Also, I have just switched off all other plugins and it still exceeds the memory usage.

I can confirm this is an issue on all domains with the exception, ironically, with a single domain hosted on a cheap platform elsewhere. Go figure.

I guess I will have to install an older version as it seem the only way forward in the short term.

I also guess I will be changing hosts as I am not prepared to pay what my current hosts are asking. Any recommendations?

Thanks for getting back to me so soon

Stef

Timothy Bowers

That wasn't a big increase in the last update, here is the last changelog:

- Added ability to disable automatic newsletter subscription on user registration with WordPress
    - Fixed unnecessary string problem
    - Removed PHP warnings
    - Other small improvements

A simple check was added, a fix, removal of some warnings and a few other small improvements. So not much really changed.

Can you share the full error log please?

I can confirm this is an issue on all domains with the exception, ironically, with a single domain hosted on a cheap platform elsewhere. Go figure.

It's on another host and it works fine?

Perhaps a clue there.

The other site is also a single site.

I also guess I will be changing hosts as I am not prepared to pay what my current hosts are asking. Any recommendations?

We did do some reviews recently, you can read here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/category/wordpress-hosting/

These are the reviews of one of our writers, they are based upon her experience.

I'm afraid I would be biased in my suggestions. Therefore I usually recommend taking a look here in addition to those reviews:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

You can read reviews of hosts, and find tons of special offers.

Any chance you can estimate the expected memory usage of e-newsletter? Would you expect 128mb to be enough with only 1 member and no other plugins installed?

That does seem high for a single plugin and one user. Maybe worth checking your access logs as well as your error logs.

Keep in mind that the larger the newsletter (images included too) the more memory used, but it shouldn't be a huge amount.

I took a look at the memory on page load for your site, I see it spiked at over 20mb and continued to fluctuate. Screenshot attached. I also see you had some cookie plugin running, any others?

Take care.

Timothy Bowers

Something happened to one of my old clients (I don't take new ones on, this was a client I maintain before I started working here yesterday, really odd that it came at the same time as this thread.

He got memory errors, even with all plugins/themes disabled. Only happened after he updated the WordPress core.

I did a refresh of his files (removed all older WP ones, then uploaded a fresh set. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some bodged update. That didn't fix it. But other sites on the same server were perfectly fine and unaffected. Very odd as it was stripped back to just WordPress.

I quickly did a restart of some of the services including Apache, and the site was back online.

If I'm honest I'm not 100% sure what caused this, I didn't really have time to investigate further. But it started when WP was updated and this site has now WPMU DEV plugins/themes. So it has to be some kind of memory leak, cPanel/WHM was also recently updated on that server too.

I wondered though if there could be something related to what you're experiencing. Thought I'd share my experience with you.