e-Newsletter email preview feature not working

When I try and send a preview email from one of my multisites within e-Newsletter, the preview fails. The error says, "Failed to generate email body."

How do I fix this?

• timstrifler
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Patrick,

I just updated to the latest version of the plugin (2.5.6), but the same error was happening on the previous version as well as this new version.

I get the same error whether it's activated network wide or site by site.

And yes I save it before sending the preview.

A couple other things worth noting:
    -When I return to the "Newsletters" screen. The plugin has created 1-2 blank newsletters in addition to the one I just created.

-Although the preview isn't working. The newsletters still send fine.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@timstrifler

Yah, I've also noticed that anytime you click the Create Newsletter button/link, a newsletter is created, even if it is not saved. Thanks for the reminder, I'll bring this up with the plugin developer.

For the preview not sending issue, I presume there is a sent-from email entered, at least in the General Settings?

• timstrifler

So a few other things I found out:

The plugin will create newsletters when you click the create button, even if you don't save (as you pointed out). However, it also creates new blank newsletters every time I click the send button to send the preview newsletter and responds with the error "Failed to generate email body." I tried several times to try and send a preview email and it created a new blank newsletter for every click.

The next thing I found out is if I create a new newsletter, and then save it, and close it, and then reopen it, the preview feature works.

• Ian

Yes, I have this same issue too. Latest installed version: Newsletter 2.5.7

HOW TO RECREATE BUG:
    ------------------------------------------------
    If I create a new newsletter, add subject, add content, click the 'save newsletter' button and then try to send Preview To Email, I get the error:
    Failed to generate email body.

If I add more content and click 'save newsletter' button, I then get blank page with message:
    Cheatin’ uh?

I hit the back button and browse to 'Newsletters' list.

I see it saved the newsletter fine the first time with Subject and Template, but there are 2 more newsletters created in list with blank Subject and Template that were created when I tried to preview the first newsletter.

If I try to edit both blank ones I get:
    Internal Server Error
    ... so I just delete them.

I can click 'Edit' on the original one, change content and send a preview of it fine.

HOW TO GET AROUND THIS BUG:
    ------------------------------------------------
    My work around is to add subject and content, then 'save newsletter', then click the 'Close' button to return to the newsletter list (don't try to send a preview).

This then makes it work as it should, so I can open/edit newsletter again, make changes, and/or send previews and it all works as expected after that.

So the key is to save and close first to avoid creating blank, corrupt versions and then open it again to continue editing/testing it :slight_smile:

Please let us know when the bug is fixed and I will re-test.

Cheers, Ian

• timstrifler

Yes, thanks @Ian for the bug description. What you described is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. While the work around may work, it definitely isn't sufficient for a long term solution.

Is someone looking into this bug? This is a pretty major bug if you ask me, and I'm sure it has to be happening to others as well if it's happening to myself and @Ian in the same exact way.

What's being done to correct this bug?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original poster.

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks
    Ash

• kinjus
      • New Recruit

Ash , why don't you guys put this plugin in the junk list , that will be better if so many respondents have complaints about this . if you fixed the plugin issues and then the same bug shouldn't appear right.

It is easier to post it in old thread , so that I don't waste my time writing the issues again. If this is the protocol ,why don't you hard code and don't allow others to post to the thread if it has been closed.

I would prefer If i get help and not useless suggestions.

• Michael Bissett
        • Recruit

Hey @kinjus,

Ash , why don't you guys put this plugin in the junk list , that will be better if so many respondents have complaints about this . if you fixed the plugin issues and then the same bug shouldn't appear right.

I'm only seeing that two members had posted on this particular thread about the issue, which happened to be fixed for them at the time (over a year ago now). Unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing how that's "so many respondents"?

It is easier to post it in old thread , so that I don't waste my time writing the issues again.

Easier to write, yes. Easier for us to support you, and get things running smoothly again... not exactly. Supporting multiple users in one thread when each of them can have a different cause for an issue, can make things really confusing.

That's where we prefer that users open separate threads for issues, instead of jumping on to another's thread. If you do see a thread that's similar to yours though, instead of posting on it, you could share the link to it in your thread as you're writing up the description. :slight_smile:

If this is the protocol ,why don't you hard code and don't allow others to post to the thread if it has been closed.

That's something we could consider, let me bring that up to the rest of the team. :slight_smile:

I would prefer If i get help and not useless suggestions.

No worries, you'll get help with this, but as I mentioned before, this would really be something best done inside of a new thread. :slight_smile:

Wondering if WPMUdev does a quality check before putting them on its portal,considering that it is a paid service unlike others.

We do our best to test plugins thoroughly before release, but bugs can crop up, which we do try to fix in a timely manner (much sooner than a year). That's where it's handy to have our members here report them to us, so that we can investigate them further, and get the kinks worked out.

Hope this clears things up, and a Happy New Year to both you and @timstrifler! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
        Michael

• timstrifler

Hi @kinjus

To be completely honest, I finally got fed up with this plugin and chose to use the MyMail plugin that I purchased from Code Canyon. Yes it cost extra money, but well worth it. I haven't had a single problem. I would have preferred to use the newsletter plugin from WPMUdev but enough was enough and it didn't do a few things that MyMail does. If I remember correctly, MyMail plays much nicer with multisite and the New Blog Templates plugin by WPMUdev (interestingly enough) than e-newsletter does. I believe that was the last straw for me.

• kinjus
    • New Recruit

Thanks @timstrifler

Perfect , I will check it out on Code Canyon. No point following with WPMUdev on something which takes a year to fix.

Wondering if WPMUdev does a quality check before putting them on its portal,considering that it is a paid service unlike others.

Cheers, have a great year ahead!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.