e-Newsletter error: Cheatin’ uh? Sorry, you are not allowed to customize this site.

Hey Team

When I try to create or edit a newsletter, I'm getting the error "Cheatin’ uh?
Sorry, you are not allowed to customize this site."

After this error, a new newsletter will have been created but it is uneditable. It will send too, but it's not much of a newsletter...

I've searched the forums and although other's have had the same error I haven't yet found a solution.

Steps taken:

1. I've updated my theme (from Elegant Themes) error was still there.

2. I have deactivated all plugins (5 at a time) to see if another plugin was causing conflict. The error was still there after refreshing the page each time to check again, on all plugins.

However, although the "Cheatin' uh..." message was still there, when the Simple Cache plugin was deactivated the error changed to "The requested theme does not exist". This did not go until Simple Cache was re-activated and then turned back on.

Another odd thing, when I deactivated, tested the e-Newsletter and re-activated Membership 2 Pro, a message appeared saying "Membership 2 Pro is set up for version 1.0.3.0!" I checked and the latest version is 1.0.3.3. Could this be an issue?

Any ideas?

I have enabled support access in case anyone would like to take a closer look.

Thank you!
Jane

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jane,

We had similar issue with The theme directory "iletter" does not exist when the plugin was used with Avada's Fusion Core plugin but this was fixed in recent update and we had no similar reports so far :thinking:

Did you try testing it while default WP theme is activated because e-Newsletter uses WP customizer and if your theme is affecting that customizer in any way it might be causing this issue?

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jane!

I have visited and checked your site and I noticed that when trying to edit newsletter (when the "cheatin'" message comes up) a "500 Internal Server Error" shows up in browser console. It looks like some resources are not loading properly and that might be causing the issue.

I checked you WP memory limit (which is often related to that) but it looks fine. I know that you already tried disabling plugin but I also noticed that there are two "extra" MU plugins and I suppose that you didn't try to disable those.

Could you please try that? To do this, please access your site using FTP (or cPanel's "File Manager" tool) and download this two files from "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder: "maintenance-login.php" and "no-white-screen.php".

Once you got them downloaded to your local drive, remove them from /wp-content/mu-plugins folder, clear site's and browser's cache and see if E-Newsletter works or if it still gives an error.

If it works, upload back one of these files and check E-Newsletter again. If it's any of this MU plugins interfering, that will show us which one and we'll further investigate it.

If the message comes up even with these plugins removed, upload them back but then please add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

Make sure that these lines are above the "/* That's all, stop editing */" line and then try editing newsletter again. It would give a "cheatin'" message but also a "debug.log" file should appear in the "/wp-content" folder on your server. Please download that file, rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your replay here. Hopefully that will give us some clue on what's happening on site.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Miss Jane

Hi Adam!

My reply didn't post! I think it maybe clearing the cache logged me out...

Right, I removed those 2 files, cleared history, tested, "cheatin hu" came back. Uploaded those 2 files back.

Opened wp-config and added that code but I saw other debug code already in there, but I added it anyway.

In the wp-content I saw a debug file from 2015 which I downloaded then renamed to allow a new debug to be created (not sure if this was the right thing to do).

I re-tested the newsletter but there was no new debug file created.

I have attached txt versions of both the debug and the wp-content to see if there's any clues in there.

Jane

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jane!

The debug.log file includes data from 2015 so unfortunately it's of not much help. I think it's time to dig much deeper and that would mean that I'd need to be able to switch on/off any plugins on the site, switch themes, review files and database and possibly even change some configuration aspects of the site.

I understand that while this is a live site that might not be the best idea to work on it because it could cause some issues for end users, including even site going down temporarily. It would be best then if you could setup a staging site. Such a site should be an exact copy of your current setup and reside on the same server. We could then access it and safely make any changes without interfering with your live site and without any risk of breaking the live site.

Could you create such a site and then send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jane!

We can check this on a live site too if you accept the fact that it might partially go down temporarily.

If you let me know about preferred days and hours (including time zone! we're globally distributed team so that's important) we'll try to adjust to that timeframe in order to minimize impact on site's performance and user experience. It would be great though if you could suggest a couple of options for what would be the best time to work on the site so that would give us more "flexibility".

I'd also still need to access the site directly so just let me know here about preferred timeframe and provide me with information (for your live site) as described in my previous post here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/e-newsletter-error-cheatin-uh-sorry-you-are-not-allowed-to-customize-this-site#post-1242024

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jane,

Apologies for the long overdue here.

I was doing some extensive testing of this issue and I've managed to pinpoint this issue to be happening because of CoursePress theme and the issue is specific only for multisite installations.

I have created bug report for this and forwarded it to our developers.
    I'm afraid that I was unable to find a workaround for this other than accessing your WP files and removing wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/themes/ folder if you're not using CoursePress theme on your site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jane,

I have copied the same setup as your site (with same plugins installed) and removing Themes folder from CP worked on my end.

I see that CP not available anymore under your WP plugins but if connect your cPanel and check the files in there I can still see CP inside plugins folder and this is kinda confusing.

How did you remove the plugin?
    Or is cPanel access going to different installation perhaps?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello, Jane!

I checked the files on the server via cPanel and it seems the CoursePress is no longer there indeed. I wasn't, however, able to access site's admin area using the login and password that you previously provided us with. I assume you have already changed it (which is a good security practice) so could you please just enable support access to the site so I could check it again?

You can do this on "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end. Let me know here when it's enabled, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Miss Jane

Hi Adam

I spoke to my web hosting company, and about a month ago they switched me to a new server which somehow duplicated the database which meant changes I made to the site via the WordPress dashboard were still being made on the old platform. At least that's what they told me.

Just yesterday they finally restored the old database and I'm still checking everything is in order, but CoursePress has now gone from cpanel and it looks like the newsletter plugin is working.

That Cheatin' Huh error has popped up with the iletter template but I changed the template and it allowed me to create a newsletter.

So unless I find any other issues, I'm happy to close this ticket.

Thank you for all your help :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Jane