E-Newsletter instead of Aweber/GetResponse

Hi there,

I just saw you released another great plugin - the E-Newsletter :slight_smile:

I am going to launch a sort of online rental service within the next days and I was wondering what would be the best way for me to stay in touch with my subscribers - this service is limited to 100 people so it's not that tough to manage but there is likely a second batch opening after a year or 2 so that would mean already 200 subscribers.

I was wondering if you think I would be fine with using E-Newsletter instead of Aweber or GetResponse kind of service?

Basically I want to send each of my members a personalized email when they sign up for my service and then bulk update them every 2-3 months only (but still stay in touch on a personal email level if they need support during their membership).

What you think?

• Jonathan

@Toni,

How you doing? Hope everything is on the up and up since last we spoke :wink:

As for your question - I'm no expert, but I was following up on the same sort of setup as you're talking about and this is what I've found... maybe it will shortcut your looking into it.

Firstly, for a 100 people - e-newsletter would probably be perfect :wink:
    Secondly, have you thought about mailchimp (you get 2000 free users and 12000 emails a month) free. They do brand the email - but it's free.

Thirdly, if you go for the e-newsletter option, have you considered using google apps?

They offer a free account which includes 10 users, you only need one. You can set it up that your emails are from your domain toni@domain.com, support@domain.com etc.
    So you can email using outlook, thunderbird, etc or login to gmail.
    free account: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

The point i'm getting to is on free account you can send 500 external (outbound emails a day) which is more than enough for you to send a 3 month newsletter, and some one-on-one time with client.

In e-newsletter the sending options see the e.g ssl://smtp.gmail.com/465
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/view-screenshot/890403560_settings.png
    Well seems you can set it up so gmail sends your emails, so e-newsleter you will be using gmail email servers to send the email [ bonus :wink: ], the only limitation is 500 emails per day. So for your 100 users, this would be perfect, even 200 would be perfect :wink:

You can get a google apps business account which allows 2000 emails a day and costs $5 a month. But your list is small enough for the free account for the next couple of years.

And off course from your own server should be fine - but personally I'm hesitant about sending mass (even batches of 100) emails from my own server and ip. But, I'm no expert, just heard some horror stories. (Would love some expert to chime in on this issue)

Mmmm, hope the above makes some sort of sense, anyways, there are some options.

Jonathan

• Toni

Whoo awesome Jonathan, thanks for taking the time!

And yes it's almost all fixed and back to normal, I have already time to think about new projects :smiley:

I have thought of mail chimp too but the branding is not something I can live with LOL

Regarding Google Apps, I would prefer sticking with my own hosted business email, can you guys ballpark how big the risk is for me to get in trouble with my hosting provider after all I am talking to my subscribers and not sending out unsolicited bulk mails? I mean I have quite a few hosting accounts so not all my business is on one server but it would still suck if they shut me down even temporary.

What I am thinking right now is to use the membership plugin in conjuction with newsletter for that project.

Cheers!!!

• Jonathan

@Toni,

Glad to hear you're almost back to normal :wink:

As for self hosted business email. As I understand it, and I'm no expert - There has been a huge clamp down on spam - and it is a serious issue. I just worry that some users whether by accident or on purpose marks my server ip address as spamming them, and my server ip gets blacklisted (happens all the time, and to both big fish, and small fish). It's no easy task getting un-blacklisted. And it doesn't take much to get blacklisted. This means the ip is pretty much useless.

I have postfix installed on my server. This only handles registration emails, and lost passwords. I am now even thinking about moving that over to google apps or to http://www.authsmtp.com/ - use there severs, but still on the fence about this.

What google apps basically does is send your business emails from no-reply@yourdomain.com and no-body will be the wiser from where it came from. That is the beauty about google apps. Its made for business's. I have a few websites, so I have started the move from the free, to the paid. Costs $5 a month (which includes 25gig storage) I never have to delete a email again :wink: I am also using google apps to store all my important documents, run my business calender, have my calender email me birthday reminders - etc etc.
    Oh, and even hosted video. But, so far the absolute best thing is the huge drop in spam email I receive :wink:

But 100 emails from your server every couple of months and a few one on one's isn't a train smash. But, what happens if some sadistic person, gets your ip blacklisted?

Anyways, that's my view, and I am no expert...
    Hope that helps,
    Jonathan

Sidenote: Anyone have any experience with authsmtp http://www.authsmtp.com/ ?

• Marcus

btw, would love to know if others ran into this issue, but I've had google apps block email accounts more than once if you try to use them as an email server. might be part even of their t&c's, if you read it (i didn't :slight_smile: )

i might have triggered this with higher volumes though, like 100-500 mails per day?

however, what I do is use my own mail server (these days I just get a VPS with plesk/cpanel, remove other services and use that) to send emails and the noreply box in google apps for receiving mails that bounce.

I've ran MailPress and done other mail server customizations for years and 100 mails a month is probably doable even on shared hosting. If there's a way to batch it like MailPress (so it does x every x mins) it'd be ok for sure.

that said, as far as using emails for business, or personal, i wouldn't build a server for emails again, I only use Apps now, they're that good and reliable. unless you are a MNC with hundresds/thousands of accts for me it's a no brainer.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.