E-Newsletter issue not responded to??

I installed the eNewsletter plugin, input the settings etc, then tested the settings, seems like the install went pretty smoothly. I then uploaded a CSV file with my contact list, all seemed to go well. Later that day five people subscribed to my newsletter too.
I then tried to mail out a newsletter, but the plugin would only send the email to the new subscribers and not the other people in my list.
Any thoughts?
Mark

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi
    I haven't used this plugin but from a past experience with another e'newsletter script it would only send to people who consented by subscribing.

Other than that is there a missed checkbox or something for subscribed/unsubscribed. Maybe manually inserting a contact rather than uploading a csv file might prove someting.

Sorry no firm answers I can give.

• marktkinder
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

This plugin has an option to import contacts from a CSV file. It would make no sense to have that option if it didn't work.
    I am probabaly missing a step, but I have searched through every button and link in this plugin and can't find anything that makes those imported contacts subscribers.
    Anyone else got any thoughts
    Thanks
    Mark

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @marktkinder Great question! A couple of things to check on.

When you imported the CSV file, did you add those address's to a group and is that group marked as Public or Private?

I'm thinking that the people that you imported didn't get assigned to a group or are in a different private group.

Let me know if that helps. If not let me know that as well and I can take another look.

I just sent out a e-newsletter earlier and am really loving the plugin.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Also have you checked your E-newsletters dashboard and see if they were sent, bounced and or opened? Also it will let you know if there are any waiting to be sent.

Also just eliminating the process.

Some people ARE receiving the email and some are not.
    So that means that your outgoing smtp settings must be correct.
    Unless your using the php mail which I know just enough that it's better to use smtp.

Did you set up and test the bounced email section and were you able to recreate that properly?

Then the next step is that if in fact None of the imported emails were received (or even sent) then that would point to a bad or corrupt import.

Can you check a few of the imported names from the CSV and see if for some reason there is an extra space or delimiter item that may have been imported by mistake?

I'll try to thik of some more stuff

• marktkinder

I deactivated it and reactivated it.
    They are all in the same group.
    Only the five who subscribed got email. Those were the only ones sent. The rest of the list did not get sent. No emails bounced, 5 were sent, 3 opened.
    I see the 200 plus emails in my list, seems like they are formatted in the same way as the new subscriptions, but t won't send them?

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

is it possible to open the CSV file with excel? What I'm thinking is that something in the first record that was imported is messing things up.

Just another thought is was there header information or extra fields that could have possible been imported?

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Personally I think that I'd try to import it as a text delimited file into excel. Then I'd strip out everything except the email, first name, last name
    delete everything else (sometimes some of these conversion programs may embed something into the file) so the next step after I deleted all of the unwanted information would be to select all of the correct data, then invert the selection and hit delete. This should eliminate any hidden text etc...

Then lastly save as a new file and try to re-import.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@timothy thanks for jumping in here. I don't believe that the double opt in makes a difference when you import from a CSV file as you are adding them as members so they wouldn't receive the message to opt in since they are already entered in as members.

Unless there is a bug within the CSV import... I'm going to set up a small test CSV import file now and check it out.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

@timothy thanks for jumping in here. I don't believe that the double opt in makes a difference when you import from a CSV file as you are adding them as members so they wouldn't receive the message to opt in since they are already entered in as members.

That's correct, I'd expect that too!

However what we expect and what happens can often be two very different things especially when it comes to code.

Let me know what you find out Dean :slight_smile:

Thanks.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @marktkinder Are you back online yet? I did set up and import a CSV file and it worked properly. I then set up another import as I think what may have happened, then I followed the steps I mentioned above using excel and then re-imported and the problems went away.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to edit the imported data so you are going to have to delete them and then re-import them, good news is that since you don't have that many who subscribed online and they appear at the top of your list, you should be able to click on the check box to select all members. Then un-check the ones that registered online and then select the Bulk Actions at the bottom of the list and then delete all of the bad ones.

Also if you open your CSV file in notepad you should see where the problems are as well. I just used notepad to clean up all of the extra crap and made sure that the only things that appeared in the list were
    email, first name, last name

Make sure that you don't have ANY header listed only data. Also make sure there is only one email and name per line.

For the records that may not include the name make sure you still include the delimiters (the comma or semi colon which ever you prefer)

email, first name,
    email,,

Hope this all makes sense.

Also have a sugestion for @Cole I believe that's who is the lead developer for E-newsletter It would be really great to have the Bulk Actions available at the top as well as at the bottom of the members list. It's a real pain to have to scroll through the entire list.

Another request would be the ability to edit a members information (especially if you either entered it manually our imported it) in the event of a typo. I understand that editing of members who signed up online should not be editable.

@marktkinder Let me know if this helps and if you have any problems just respond here and I can get back online. Ill be off for a couple of hours.

• marktkinder

Hi Dean & Tim
    I think I just got it to work. I followed the import CSV instructions that Dean gave out, ran a test email to myself as one of the newly imported members and it worked just fine.
    I appreciate you hanging in there to resolve this.

I also requested that the bulk actions menu should be at the top, not at the bottom.

One more question though. Is there a way to edit individual members, or do we have to delete and re input their details. Seems like we should be able to edit, just incase of spelling mistakes etc.??

Thanks much
    Mark

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@marktkinder Glad that worked out for you! Glad I was able to help in some way.

One more question though. Is there a way to edit individual members, or do we have to delete and re input their details. Seems like we should be able to edit, just incase of spelling mistakes etc.??

Actually no, which I think I had mentioned in my request to @cole that at least for the imported names as well as the ones we input should be able to edit those records.

For the ones who register (especially with the double opt in checked) then we shouldn't be allowed to edit those records as it's been confirmed that the email address is correct since they had to reply back.

Any way Glad you got it working and I'll mark this as resolved.

If you have any more questions feel free to re-open this thread or start a new one.

@Timothy thanks for jumping in her as well...

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I leave for the weekend and Dean comes through with some major member support. That's why is love the WPMU DEV community.

So there was a lot to catch up on this thread, but the end issue was the csv creation correct? Or was it related to the opt-in option. Just want to make sure I'm clear so I consider some better functionality if needed.

Thanks

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @cole glad to be able to help. Hope your weekend off was a great time. (thanks for the points really appreciate every one that I get)

I believe that @marktkinder did have all of his settings correctly. In the interim over the weekend I ran several scenarios with CSV files. What I concluded is that if discard all or the other information other than the email, first name and last name then everything imported and worked properly.

I did have a couple of issues where there was only a first name and not a last and apparently the initial conversion program (from vcard to CSV) didn't put in the extra delimiter file which shifted everything off kilter.

Not sure if there's a way to validate the data while it's being imported or if there could be another (or as I'd prefer to add this capability to this one) to convert the full Vcard file and strip out everything except the data required for the E-newsletter plugin.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@cole Thanks for the tip. Hopefully @marktkinder will see this as well. I usually export to excel and them do my clean up there. Will check out the program suggested though to see if it makes life simpler.

Thanks Again! (especially for the points, getting closer to joining the elite ranks)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.