E-Newsletter & Sendgrid Not Sending All Email

Hi:

I am using E-Newsletter with Sendgrid as the outgoing service. Testing works fine. However when we "send" a newsletter we get email staying in the "waiting" status. We do have cron enabled. What could we have setup wrong? I have granted support access.

Thank you!

• Nithin

Hi Loren,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Email not being sent, are they only related to E-newsletter plugin?, or do you also have problem with sending emails in WordPress? If it's affecting all your emails, it should be how the Sendgrid is configured.

If it's only related to E-newsletter, any particular newsletter has this issue? Normal the waiting status in the E-newsletter appears when your attempt to send newsletters manually fails, and it doesn't seem to be tied with the Cron job.

Could you please try the Sendgrid troubleshoot doc, and confirm whether there is any issues with the Delivery: https://sendgrid.com/docs/Classroom/Troubleshooting/Delivery_Issues/my_client_is_complaining_that_they_have_not_received_an_email.html

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Loren

Hi Nithin:

Yes, only related to E-newsletter. I only have Sendgrid configured within E-newsletter. Prior to that we used Cron to send and it worked okay, but was never really perfect. Reading your support pages lead us to signup for Sendgrid as a third party service. As I mentioned above the out-going email is sitting in "waiting" status within E-newsletter. What settings with E-newsletter would make that happen, never sending? Should we be trying to send our newsletter another way?

-Loren

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Loren,

I've tested sending manually one newsletter and it worked - you should see that 6 email received one "Full Rack of Beef Ribs w/FREE sides!" newsletter.
    Then I realize, that you didn't tell what newsletter you want to send so I stopped cron from sending those.
    Can you tell me how do you now try to send those emails? You click Send newsletter now or Send in background? Which newsletter I can safely try to send from your site?

Also please tell me how do you setup cron?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Loren

I did see a couple of emails come into my inbox as well as they show up within the SednGrid dashboard.

Issues exist with any of the newsletters we try to setup and send. Note the 9012 in the "Waiting" status.

We have recently used "send newsletter now" since subscribing to Sendgrid. Before that we used CRON. We managed that via Tools > Cron Events > Run Now (e_newsletter_cron_send_0).

How do you reccomend we send out emails now using SendGrid?

I have extended support access.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Loren,

You still can to use CRON as you did before. There is no difference if you are using wp_mail() function, SMTP plugin or SendGrid - those are methods of sending emails but CRON (or you by clicking "send newsletter now") has to "tell" those functions "here you have bunch of emails I want to send". So even you are now using SendGrid SMTP server sending emails still has to be scheduled in CRON or send manually.
    Did you set any of your newsletter to be send in background by CRON at the moment?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Loren

Thank you Kasia:

How we do it is not the problem. We have used both of those methods you suggested.

The problem is the emails never go out unless we continue to monitor. I want to be able to setup the email, click send, and have the emails be sent without me having to monitor, either via the manual send or using CRON. This is why we went to the SendGrid service. Reading support posts at WPMUDEV and elsewhere suggested that was a good solution. However, the emails still get clogged up on the Waiting status. Why is that? Is eNewsletter set to send email as I outlined above? If so, what do we need to do?

-Loren

• Loren

Thank you Ash:

This is the third different send method I have tried. It is something to do with e-newsletter. I was hoping you all could help me determine what that was. Without any other suggestions on what is causing mail to sit in the "waiting" status I have to move along and install the MailPoet plugin. I just do not have time to continue fighting with the e-newsletter plugin.

-Loren

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Loren,

I've done some more tests on your site and it on 2 attempts cron worked but in some cases it needed few more minutes to run and mails were not send instantly. It looks like it is more likely problem with cron and not eNewsletter - because as you can see when you send manually newsletter they are send without problem and when using CRON it sometimes sends them with delay.

We can try trouble shoot this with debug mode - to see if there is something happening on failed runs of cron. To enable debug, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it. I would need then to see contents of the debug.log file - so please paste it to the text file and attach to post.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.