E-newsletter Unresponsive Script

Whenever I try to create a newsletter I get a warning of Unresponsive Script. I will send a screenshot in a reply to this email since there is no where to attach a screenshot on an original support ticket - something I think you should change.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Mary,

I've ask my colleague to test this on mac also (I'm on Linux) and he was able to replicate this on your site. I understand this is live site, so we can't test plugin conflict. So I would like you to enable debug mode in WordPress - hopefully this will give us answer why this is behaving like that.
    To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Mary

OK I have done as you requested. These are the errors:

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class Logout_Redirect in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/logout-redirect/logout-redirect.php on line 44

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/logout-redirect/logout-redirect.php on line 203

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class Wdsi_Options in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/slide-in/lib/class_wdsi_options.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class BP_Album_Picture in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/buddypics/includes/bpa.classes.php on line 47

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class BP_Album_Template in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/buddypics/includes/bpa.template.tags.php on line 53

Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.3.) in /home/chat/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3787

Notice: bp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialised without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 1.7.) in /home/chat/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3787

Strict Standards: Declaration of BP_Groupemail_Extension::display() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::display($group_id = NULL) in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/bp-group-email/includes/bp-group-email.php on line 193

Strict Standards: Declaration of BP_Groupemail_Extension::edit_screen() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::edit_screen($group_id = NULL) in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/bp-group-email/includes/bp-group-email.php on line 193

Strict Standards: Declaration of BP_Groupemail_Extension::edit_screen_save() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::edit_screen_save($group_id = NULL) in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/bp-group-email/includes/bp-group-email.php on line 193

Strict Standards: Declaration of BP_Groupemail_Extension::create_screen() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::create_screen($group_id = NULL) in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content/plugins/bp-group-email/includes/bp-group-email.php on line 193

Strict Standards: Declaration of BP_Groupemail_Extension::create_screen_save() should be compatible with BP_Group_Extension::create_screen_save($group_id = NULL) in /home/chat/public_html/chat-content

• Rupok

Hi Mary

I hope you had a wonderful day and Merry Christmas.

Thanks for sharing the debug log. But I could not find anything in the debug log that may help finding the reason for your "Unresponsive Script" error. So I logged in your site with Support Access and found the issue in action with Firefox in Mac.

Then I checked your site with Chrome, Safari and Opera on Mac, but the issue was not there anymore. So it seems like the issue is only happening in Firefox and specifically in your site. I just tried to regenerate this issue in my test site but I didn't get this error on my test site.

So, it would be best if you could make a plugin conflict test. The non-responsive javascript file is the jQuery file. It may have been called by several plugins which may cause this issue. So without plugin conflict test, it's pretty tough to say which one is the culprit.

If this is a live site, and you have no liberty to disable plugins and make plugin conflict tests, can you please make a staging site where you can test this, find the reason, test the solution and then push the update on your live site?

Here are some links which may help you to understand better about how to create a staging site:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-staging-environment/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/testing-environment-wordpress/

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Mary

Hi Rupok,

I figure if it works in a browser other than Firefox then I'll just use a different browser, so I sent myself a newsletter using Safari and indeed I did not get the error, however I was unable to select the CHAT-template. There was no activate button, nor was it called CHAT-template. It is a duplicate of iLetter. See screenshot

When I saved the newsletter is it saved as CHAT-template, but it doesn't have my header image. Also there is no subject for any of the newsletters. See screenshot.

• Rupok

Hi Mary

I hope you had a wonderful day.

I just went on your site, tried to regenerate the issue in your site and you are right. The "Chat Template" can't be activated and it's just a clone if iLetter.

However, I tried to regenerate this in my test site but I didn't find any template called "Chat Template". Then I went to plugin description page here (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-newsletter/) and found that e-newsletter plugin comes with 7 pre-built templates and "Chat Template" is none of them. Please check the 1st attached screenshot.

So can you please check your "wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/templates" directory and match with the 2nd attached screenshot? If you see any additional file/folder there, can you please delete them and check if this resolves the issue for you or not?

And if it's possible, can you deactivate the "e-newsletter" plugin, delete it, and then install it fresh and check if it works perfectly?

However, I was able to save the email subject. Please check the attached screenshot.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.