Easiest way to to require additional user information in pro sites signup.

What is the easiest way to ***require*** a new user registering for a new blog on pro sites to provide, for instance, first/last name, address, phone number, etc., and have this information written to the user's profile in WP.

For the kind of user we have, for privacy reasons, we must collect more than just username, email and blogname/description in order for the user to open an account at our site.

THANKS.

• eblogger

First, thank you for a very prompt response. This solution worked perfectly and I have successfully added all of the additional information fields required by our site for registration.

But, I do note that in order to activate this feature, one must install BuddyPress. Some sites may not wish to use BuddyPress, which allows for users to communicate socially with one another, but it is possible in BuddyPress to easily deactivate most of the social modules, and thereby to disallow, for instance, private messages and other communications and activity streams among users that BuddyPress provides. I was able to do all of that in a short time, with no coding required. All through the WP GUI. In addition, there is an option in Pro Sites to limit social BuddyPress features to pro level sites. So, if you want to keep some of BuddyPress available for paying users, for any reason, you can also use this option to make those modules you have not deactivated available.

So far, WPMUDEV rocks.

• eblogger

I would like to update this topic. To use the suggested solution, I installed BP, along with the the XProfile plugin, which allows you to create extra profile fields and integrate them right into the registration/sign up page.

However, what it does is create a two-column registration page. On the left are the BP fields and on the right are the usual WP fields and registration. With pro sites installed, this means that when you arrive at the option to register for and create a blog site, the pro sites theme previewer area is confined to only 1/2 of the page. This constricts the theme screen shots that are the basis of the theme preview. Hovering over them allows for a "preview option"; the preview is opened in a new tab/window. With this size constriction, it really affects the quality of the look of the theme preview grid generated by pro sites, and I therefore no longer recommend this option if you are using pro sites, unless you want to code your own CSS for the Register page. Good luck with that!

I found an alternative solution: A plugin called Register Plus Redux:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/register-plus-redux/

It allows you to create as many extra Register fields as you want, without having to ad BP to the system, and allows you to add those fields to the Registration page and to the profile page. It has standard field types, like date field, text field, drop down choice, etc. It adds the fields right into the pro sites signup page and does not constrict the page to a two column layout, and therefore does not ruin the theme previewer that is part of the pro sites signup process.

Hope this helps someone who might have a similar question in the future.

• eblogger

update:

on my recommendation of the Register Plus Redux plugin,
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/register-plus-redux/
    i am currently experiencing issues with the proper rendering of the password strength and password mismatch messages. i am using wp 3.8 and the official plugin page says only compatible until 3.5.2. so, hopefully, they'll update it. if not, be careful with it. there are a few other similar ones. i'll try the buddypress option again and some others and write back because modifying the registration fields is a common question.

for anyone who is trying to figure this out, see the custom buddypress method and update of the theme viewer in new blog templates in this related thread:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custom-registration-fields-for-pro-sites?replies=7#post-573174

thanks!