[Easy Blogging] Feature Request: Add/remove menu links from plugin settings screen

I see a number of posts from users that, like me, want to either add or remove items to the Easy Mode existing menu. I see there is some way to add menu items doing some code work; haven't done that yet... It would be very helpful if we can manage the menu from the plugin settings interface., without having to write code.

Maybe some check boxes to show/hide the default menu items. For new menus, be able to provide the label, URL and icon. Thinking this through I guess there would need to be a way to order the items and integrate with the Pro Sites plugin (so menu items may show/hide depending on Pro Level).

Thanks!

• Vladislav

Hi,

In the latest version (v3.1, just released), the plugin comes with plugin support, and one of the plugins will enable you to easily manage your menu items.

To enable menu management, go to "Easy Blogging" > "Plugins" in your admin menu and activate the "Manage menu items" plugin. Once activated, it should add a whole new entry and a page under Easy Blogging admin menu, labeled "Menu items".

On this page, there should be a table which is the main area for menu item management. You can decide to hide a menu item by unchecking a box in the "Show" row, and rearrange items by dragging them around.

The table also has a row titled "Type", which indicates where an item comes from. Possible values are "Builtin" (for Easy Blogging builtin menu items), "Plugin added" (for items added by code that hooks to menu filter) and "My item" (for items added by the menu management plugin). Items with "My item" type can be removed, but others can't (although all items can be shown or hidden by changing the "Show" checkbox).

On this page there is also a section for adding a menu item. URL field accepts either a URL relative to admin root (e.g. "profile.php"), or a full URL, starting with http://. "Choose icon" link pops up WP media management dialog for images, so you can add your images easily - once you're done, just click "Insert into post" button to use your new image. The "capability" field can be left blank, or it can accept a capability value (or a role name). You may want to check your this page for reference: http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

Once a new item is added, it will not be automatically shown - its "Show" checkbox in the menu management table won't be automatically checked, so you'll have to do it yourself once you add your item..

Lastly, the plugin comes with 3 reset buttons. You can use them to quickly revert some (or all) aspects of your menu customization back to default.

• Strategerizer

@VeBailovity, thanks for the update; some great new functionality.

As you design the plugin and conceive various user scenarios, please keep in mind that some/many of us have custom sites outside of the Pro Sites pool of sites. In my case specifically, we provide custom design services for higher end clients which benefit of custom functions, child themes and whatever plugins they need. The way the Pro Sites plugin works, these are part of the "free" tier - basically the websites which are not part of the Pro Sites websites.

As such, for our purposes the "Force easy mode on free Pro Sites" does not apply. It probably applies to many other users but just wanted to let you know other configurations so you keep us in mind as well.

For us, and probably for everyone, more important is to allow customers to set "easy mode" or "regular mode" based on their own preferences and then have the system remember their choice the next time they log in.

I have just activated the "manage menu items" plugin... will let you know if I have any other feedback once I get to play with it a bit.

Thank you!

• Strategerizer

@VeBailovity, the new menu functionality does not seem to be working well. I am encountering issues with setting the icon and the actual menu item.

Here are the steps I take:

- Fill in the Add menu item fields
    - Click Choose icon
    - Go to Media Library tab
    - Click Show for the image I want
    - Click Insert in Post --> image is previewed with broken image icon
    - Click Add new item --> item added at bottom of list, still shows broken image. The image URL, instead of leading to the image, ponts to http://supersite-name.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=wdeb_menu_items&settings-updated=true
    - Visit the Easy Blogging page of a subsite to preview --> Instead of my new item I see 2 x the last PROFILE button. Both lead to the Profile Page and get highlighted when on that page. My new button is nowhere.

Any idea what is going on?

BTW, can we have also a direct URL field for the icon so we can simply enter the image URL? We can then set a syntax based on root so it will work well for all subsites.

FYI, I do not think it plays into these bugs but to give you heads-up on my intent... I need to replace the "My Pages" and "My Posts" with my custom buttons which lead to a nice WYSIWYG display of the page or post hierarchy tree, which is a lot more useful than the default WP paginated grid list. I use a plugin to produce the tree list view and I plan the button to link to that view with URL: edit.php?post_type=page&page=cms-tpv-page-page. I will also need to add a button to the theme's options screen: admin.php?page=awake-options. Unfortunately I don't know if there is a way to have the options screen of some new theme automatically populate the button with the right URL; please let me know if you can think of a way to do that.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.