Easy Blogging new Beta

Hi,

A new and thoroughly improved version of Easy Blogging is in the works. There are a lot of new features, and some improvements to the old ones. Here are just some of them:

1) Easy Blogging Wizard and Easy Blogging Tooltips are now merged together into one plugin, with separate controls accessible from your Admin/Network admin area
2) A new look - a new theme, with four subthemes to choose from.
3) Custom logo support
4) Forcing Easy Mode for certain user roles
5) Full WordPress 3.2 compatibility

You can download the Beta version here.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

This is one plugin I've never had a use for, and in truth never bothered to download and try - but I've got a website parked and waiting for my parents (they're building their own yacht and sail off in dec) - so this will come in handy, as they blog their voyage.

I don't know what previous versions looked like. But this is seriously a fantastic job. I've seen themes that change the back-end and such, but this is both beautiful, and functional.

Great stuff, seriously,
    Jonathan

• kshengelia

@masonjames, yes I'll

You will understand where screenshots are taken from their names. None of them are caused because of Georgian language, which I am using on my network.

Here are all:

1) When I scroll very bottom, there is menu bug (see attachment)
    2) There isn't "Back" button, which will return user to advanced admin.
    3) "Visit Site" link is very unattractive I think.
    4) Content blocks aren't wide enough (see attachment(s)) - I am using 1024x768 resolution but it doesn't matter, as on advanced area of panel everything is fine.
    5) On themes page (see screenshot) - it needs bottom sidebar, first bug is that it mustn't need bottom sidebar as it's uncomfortable, second thing is that if it has, still it will be uncomfortable. So the way is just to make content table wider and LESS padding from left - See Screenshot.

That's all for now, hope this helps!

One more thing - Content blocks/tables are narrow everywhere and it doesn't need so much padding from left side (from menu) - It's only my opinion of course.

Anyway, I already love this plugin :slight_smile:

• Marty Thornley
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Nice work! I was never crazy about the look of the earlier versions but this is amazing!

A couple quick bugs...

The url seemed to ask for just the page (ex: edit.php) but when adding just "themes.php", it tried to access "/wp-adminedit.php". The links caused 404s unless I added them as "/wp-admin/themes.php".

On a couple custom admin pages using jQuery, there were some conflicts when using the Easy mode. Easy mode menu seemed to work fine, the jQuery I had in my code all did not work. Could be on my end but it all works with every other situation and plugin I have ever tested. I haven't looked into specifics yet so can't offer much more right now but wanted to point it out.

Again, great work! Can't wait to roll this out to users!

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

How can I add a new page to the Easy Mode (not the wizard, but the Easy Mode itself)? We have a page of tutorial videos in the admin area, so of course we definitely want these in the Easy Mode because they're targeted at novice users.

Thanks,

Mark

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you very much for the excellent feedback!

@Marty Thornley, about adding steps to wizard: when typing in paths, you should start with them with "/". As you type your path, the "Preview" field will be dynamically updated, so you can see how the link would look once it's added: http://i51.tinypic.com/1zcoks3.png

About javascript conflicts, could you please take a look at the javascript error console (or Firebug console) and see if there are any errors? Also, if you have Firebug console (or Chrome inspector) and you're comfortable with it, could you please take a look at the "Net" tab and verify that your scripts are loading?

@kshengelia, thank you very much for the screenshots. Unfortunately, the new theme just won't work that well with 1024x768 resolution at the moment.

@wpcdn, if Easy Mode is being forced (i.e. user doesn't have enough privileges to access advanced mode), the logout link will appear. Perhaps we could add a logout link and make it optional (a "show login link" option in the settings) for regular Easy mode users too?

About adding pages - the menu is configurable, and the best way to add a page would be by making a specific plugin for that. That sounds much more intimidating then it actually is - the plugin would need to be tiny and very simple. Here is a quick example (minus the plugin headers):

function my_function_add_my_custom_page ($items) {
    	$items[] = array (
    		'check_callback' => false, // Custom callback function for access checking.
    		'capability' => 'edit_posts', // User capability needed to access this page. Can be set to "false".
    		'url' => 'post-new.php', // The path to your page
    		'icon' => 'http://myhost.com/path-to-my/icon.png', // Full URL to your icon
    		'title' => __('New Post', 'wdeb'), // Your link text
    		'help' => __('Create a new post', 'wdeb'), // A short help string for your link
    	);
    	return $items;
    }
    add_filter('wdeb_menu_items', 'my_function_add_my_custom_page');

Once you customize the values in your array, add the proper headers and activate your plugin, it will add your page as a new item at the bottom of the menu.

The "$items" array passed to your function holds all the menu items, so you could extend this basic example to do pretty much anything - remove items, insert new items wherever you want them, force or change custom checks on items, require different user permissions, change default icons etc.

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

This is such a wonderful improvement, it is just beautiful. And I am so pleased that I can now use it with Marketpress, I was even able to add the pages!

But How would I remove pages? I tried going into the plugin and removing them there, but it didn't work.

Also I can't seem to force easy blogging for site admins.
    And I can't add media to posts, none of these icons are working for me, the set featured image brings me out of the admin area.
    Finally, the drop down boxes aren't working for me. For example WPMU DEV SEO, if that is closed I can't open it.

Thanks.

• nelnehal

with the wizard switched on, the link to exit easy admin disappears, (in the easy admin not the wizard), only the link for wizard mode is there.

edit: sorry its there. the plugin was conflicting with the cleanadmin plugin. the link got hidden at the bttom

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I have such an idea (with simple ?if variables) - if user uses screen size 1024x768 (or smaller, of course) this plugin isn't shown.This is the best choise for now I think, isn't it?

The problem is that this would complicate things for some users. For example, if our documentation says "Click the 'Activate Easy Mode' button to enter our streamlined interface."...users with smaller screen sizes won't see that button and then they will ask where it is. We can explain in the documentation that the feature is only available to users with 1024x768 or higher, but I think some of them will find the explanation confusing. Others will resent that they cannot use the Easy Mode.

I'm not sure why there are issues with a smaller screen though. I mean, this plugin arranges things very much like the standard WP interface...with a menu in the left column. So things should (in theory) work as well as they do in the standard interface.

• kshengelia

Hi wpcdn,

The problem is that this would complicate things for some users. For example, if our documentation says "Click the 'Activate Easy Mode' button to enter our streamlined interface."...users with smaller screen sizes won't see that button and then they will ask where it is. We can explain in the documentation that the feature is only available to users with 1024x768 or higher, but I think some of them will find the explanation confusing.

I'd say that it would do absolutely against - it will simplify things. For example, if user with 1024x768 or lower enters panel, (s)he just won't see that button and so won't click on that, as if (s)he clicks, there is a problem (mentioned above).

As to documentation and explanation - I agree with you, because there are some users, who don't know what their resolution is, but more simple way to explain what we want would be something like this - "If you don't see this button, that means that you are using smaller screen resolution than we support".

---

So the conclusion is - users with higher resolution than 1024x768 will still use this plugin and users with 1024x768 or lower just won't see that button.

As to questions - if users with 1024x768 or lower have some questions, they will open documentation page and read this text "...if you don't see this button, you are using smaller screen resolution than we support".

Everyone will be happy after that - admins, users with 1024x768+, users with 1024x768-

Now, only happy users are users with 1024x768+ , as users with 1024x768- don't understand why everything messes up when they click on their Easy Admin Area button and admins aren't happy because it's hard job to answer complaints from these users one-by-one (as documentation doesn't say anything).

---

That's all, thanks!

• nelnehal

hey, in the previous version of easy blogging i think it was possible to change the header in the customize design section (in easy blogging mode). it does not seem to be there in the new version.

However, if any links are hidden the left panel doesn't seem to scroll. :slight_frown:

yea its does not scroll down for some reason.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Again, thanks for the awesome feedback! As for full MarketPress support in Easy Mode, it's a very nice idea. Since both plugins are extensible, I guess a high level of integration between the two should be quite possible (perhaps via another plugin, that would rely on these two to merge them together).

@Fondeli, you can approach removing existing pages in a way quite similar to adding new pages. For an example, you could do something like this:

function my_function_remove_new_post ($item) {
    	if ('post-new.php' == $item['url']) return false;
    	return true;
    }
    function my_function_filter_menu_items ($items) {
    	return array_filter($items, my_function_remove_new_post);
    }
    add_filter('wdeb_menu_items', 'my_function_filter_menu_items');

This example will remove the "New Post" item from the menu items array. In this example, the important stuff is happening in the "my_function_remove_new_post" function - it is called once per menu item, passing the item as a parameter. If the function returns "false", the item will be discarded from menu items. If it returns "true", that menu item will be kept.

As for the problems you're experiencing, it sounds as if there is a conflict of some sort. What WordPress version are you using? Also, can you please take a look at the javacript console and see if there are any errors reported? I'm asking because adding media work as expected for me on a couple of test installs.

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

@VeBailovity Thank you, I successfully removed links!

I have just realised that the issues I was having are only when using the stripes_red theme. There are javascript errors.

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input
    Uncaught ReferenceError: edButtons is not defined
    Uncaught ReferenceError: edToolbar is not defined
    Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'tabs'

All the other themes seem to work as expected.

• nelnehal

the cool thing about the new beta is that it works for all the admin pages. so what i did was installed the snack menu plugin (which added all the admin menu links to the admin bar). now users would be able to access all the pages from within the easy blogging mode and would not have to go to advanced mode.

check the screenshot. wordpress admin is confusing for newbies so i prefer this

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I just tried this plugin out and all I can say is WOW! I am totally impressed!

The only real issues I noticed were the editor buttons overlapping the publish box when not using standard button set.

I would cut back on some of the padding between the left main navigation and the content displayed on the right. Actually all the padding could be lowered to allow a better fit on most screens.

GREAT JOB! Can't wait to see the final product!

• Memiah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Looks great, one thing I would like is the ability to re-order, or at least hide some of the items on the menu - IE keep the websites page focused as opposed to post focus.

Found a minor bug, the tooltip next to "Upload/Insert" on the posts page doesn't work, it freaks out on Firefox and only flicks on and off in Chrome.

Other than that, this is looking to be one of the best plugins this site offers :slight_smile:

• wotacharlie

A couple of feature suggestions:

I have seen a couple of jQuery plugins that do a walk through of a site eg
    codecanyon.net/item/jquery-website-tour-for-wordpress/335968
    It would be a nice addition to this plugin to have something like that, which could show a user the steps needed to get started.

How about integration with the achievements plugin, so that as people get started their progress is tracked. Perhaps you could hide certain menus etc until certain steps have been achieved.

• Tee
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi, just stumbled over this great beta. I have three questions:

1. Wouldn't it be appropriate to implement Menu to the Easy Mode?
    2. Is there an easy way for translation as I will run my Service in German
    3. I didn't figure out, how the Wizard might work. Any help?

Thanks & Best
    Thorsten

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

The old Easy Blogging had support for the supporter plugin. New Easy blogging is missing the premium themes and premium plugins tabs. Not sure if thats an oversight or not but would like to see it back in.

BTW, it looks awesome!
    Thanks!

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

Bug: Under profile > Avatar > hit reset and you'll get

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /home/ag/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avatars/avatars.php on line 1199

Warning: unlink(/home/ag/public_html/wp-content/uploads/avatars/user/c4c/user-1-16.png) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/agenthu/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avatars/avatars.php on line 1200
    Etc

• wotacharlie

Any suggestions why I might be getting display: none added to the contents of my custom metaboxes in a CPT with easy blogging?

Only seems to be happening to sites setup before adding the plugin.

If I start a new site with the same plugins and theme it is working fine?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@wotacharlie, Easy Blogging removes many of the normal items on page/post. To bring a custom item back would require a fair amount of customization, but there are several ways you could do it.

Basically Easy Admin blocks anything that does not have a "high" priority set up. So, you'd want to give the Page Attributes this and then it should show. If you're unfamiliar with this, in WordPress these areas are called meta boxes.

Here's a couple links from the codex to get ya started:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_meta_box
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/remove_meta_box

• Chris M.

This plugin looks really promising, but because we don't do "Blogging" it won't work for us. I just wrote another post on this topic, but I thought I'd expand on it a little bit here.

There are three things that I think would need to change before this plugin worked for Wordpress as a CMS as well as Wordpress as a blogging platform. The first is that the language would need to change some. For example, things like:

Great for beginners, easily and quickly manage your blog

Would need to be changed to:

Great for beginners, easily and quickly manage your site

And tooltips like:

Create a "static" page below - this won't appear at the top of your latest posts

...don't necessarily make sense when you don't know what a "post" is (or just don't use them that often).

The second thing that would probably have to change is the name. Rather than "Easy Blogging" why not "Easy Admin"?

Finally, it would be really useful to have a toggle that offered the following options:

• Show posts first
    • Show pages first
    • Show only posts
    • Show only pages

That way if you're using Wordpress to manage mostly static content, you don't have "New Post" and "My Posts" displayed prominently at the top of the menu.

What do you guys think? I know it would require changing a lot of the wording in the plugin, but I don't think it would require much of a change to the functionality at all (except for #3).

• Lorange

I did not have the time to check this new version yet.

But I'm definitely adding my +1 to the previous request. I really hope it will be considered soon as we are a lot of WPMUDEV members that don't do blogging. For the same reason, the WPMUDEV team kindly accepted to rename the new "Pro blogs" to "Pro sites" a few days ago.

Seen on the WP homepage:

WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website OR blog.

Thank you!

Laurent

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi all,

I've started testing this beta version and looks great.
    Couple of things I noticed though that could be improved maybe?

1. The plugin needs to be network activated in order to manage the different options given on the network admin panel (Easy blogging, wizard, tooltips). But I feel I want to provide the use of it to only a few sites (supporters, students, newcomers).
    I think it would be more practical to have it network activated (so one can have the setup network page), and THEN have an option to have it network activated or on a per site.

2. It does NOT support the other very useful plugin Admin Panel Tips. I don't know if the same goes for Admin Ads and Admin Message plugins.

Thanks

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

1. The plugin needs to be network activated in order to manage the different options given on the network admin panel (Easy blogging, wizard, tooltips). But I feel I want to provide the use of it to only a few sites (supporters, students, newcomers).

I wholeheartedly agree. This is a perfect plugin to offer to a $upporter.

• thinkmarketact

Love the look. but it forwards me to /wp-adminpost.php for everything i click on that page does not exist.

i am testing this on a new blog, 2010 theme, not many plugins activated and the ones that are network wide and all wpmu plugins.

i deleted the other 3 easy blogging folders before i installed this one via ftp.

• thinkmarketact

seems to only happen in wizard mode.

the other mode works fine for me.

i also had the issue with the left sidebar not showing all the way. i think the bottom 2 tabs didnt show up.

1366X766 resolution in firefox with just one extra tool bar that is 30px high.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.