Easy Blogging Scroll Issue

Hi,

We'd love to offer the Easy Blogging feature to our users, but there's one small cosmetic detail that is a showstopper for us. I think it's been mentioned before, but apparently wasn't resolved.

The problem is that, when a page loads in the Easy Blogging interface, it scrolls down to the top of the Easy Blogging tabs...with the site logo header not visible. Normally this would only be a cosmetic issue, however it's also a usability issue because the scrolling hides the "Activate Advanced Admin" button. And we think that some users won't realize that it's there if they just scroll up. If we're offering an easy interface, we want to make sure there are no gotchas.

Is there any way the plugin can be modified so that the entire admin page header appears?

Thanks,

Mark

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Mark,

I'll see if Mohanjith can take a look at this. Can you tell us more about your setup so we can track this down? Versions of WordPress/BuddyPress along with any browser you're seeing this in specifically.

We'll take a look.

Thanks!

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

WordPress 3.0.3 multisite...no BuddyPress.

The issue happens in Safari.

In Firefox and IE, the header does appear, but only after the Easy Blogging interface loads. So it still looks very weird...the page scrolls down and the tabs load, along with the rest of the Easy Admin interface. Then the page scrolls up to reveal the header.

So it looks strange in all the browsers, but is worse in Safari.

Thanks,

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hi S H,

No problem. The Safari screenshot is attached. As you'll see the header doesn't appear at all. Users can scroll up to see it, but that is the only way to see it.

In other browsers, the page loads with the Easy Blogging interface first, so it looks just like the screenshot for a moment. Then the page scrolls up to reveal the header.

So, in all browsers, I wish the Easy Blogging interface would load just as a typical web page does...from the top down instead of revealing part of the page first and then scrolling up to reveal the top (or, in the case of Safari, not even scrolling to reveal the top).

Thanks,

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hey,

On first glance, that seems to fix it! I did notice in Firefox for Windows, the reload looks a bit strange when you click one of the Easy Blogging tabs...the header disappears momentarily but then reappears when the new tab loads. But, all in all, it's much, much better now.

Thank you!

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Oops, on further testing (Safari) I found similar issues. The scrolling issue returned once, so I scrolled up to see the header...and I saw a bigger problem. (See attached screenshot.)

S H, feel free to experiment again. I think the above happened when clicking the Comments tab, then clicking the "Check for Spam" button.

Thanks,

Mark

• SooBahkDo
    • Syntax Hero

Hello All,

I installed the new version and on the active blog where this occurred it did not make the button appear (missing database entries?) Also got a double image effect. Screenshot attached.
    How might I fix this particlular blog?

Then I created a new blog and the Easy Blogging screen appeared automatically asking whether I wanted advanced or easy administration. I was able to switch back and forth between easy and advanced and the button remained visible; however, the double image effect remained. Screenshot attached.

Thanks
    Phil D

• wlpdrpat
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey SooBahkDo,

The double image you are seeing is easily resolved in the management page for Easy Blogging. Just select not to show one set of warnings (the one above or below) or select to show none. This can remove the majority of warnings messages via .css. If the warning messages persist you can add custom .css rules into the plugin to eliminate them from either one or both locations. This is found in the easy_blogging.php file in the current version near line 410.

MasonJames,

Here is an item that should be considered for inclusion for 3.1 - the Add Page display does not have Page Attributes displayed, which means you can't select parent, template, or order. I was able to customize my current version to display these.

Cheers,
    Pat

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Pat,

Thanks for the helpful information here and for the suggestion.

We may consider it, but several things were removed from the standard Add Page/Post screens. It's meant to be easy and there's not really a way to provide a one-size-fits-all approach on this. Different networks will have different needs.

As you've noted though, it is possible to change what is displayed and we'd encourage folks to do this (I've done it myself on some installs).

Thanks again!

• SooBahkDo
    • Syntax Hero

Hi Mason,

I am running 3.0.4.
    I have not had an opportunity to test it to form additional suggestions. I have been gun shy to do so since it broke the one site I tried it on and I have not yet been able to fix that site to regain advance admin controls.

Any advice on that issue?

Thanks for the tips.

Phil Duncan

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I'm still seeing this. There are a variety of WPMU Dev plugins running, however I'm thinking this is just a formatting issue within this plugin for a couple of reasons:

1) All pages except this one load fine. And, since this was a previous issue that was resolved, I'm just wondering if maybe there was a snippet of code or something that remains on that one page.

2) I have tried it elsewhere on a couple of other multisites (not my own) that use Easy Blogging, and I see it there too. So that makes me think it isn't something just related to our server config and the plugins we're using.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Mark,

Any js errors on the page? I'm totally stumped as I haven't been able to reproduce this.

If you don't have any js errors or anything in the php error logs we may have to take a look at one of your installs to see what's going on.

We're also going to be taking another long look at this plugin - wordpress 3.2 changes things up quite a bit and we're planning accordingly.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.