Easy Blogging Tooltips: multilingual support and adding more tooltips

Hi,

I have two questions related to this plugin:

1) I would like to translate the tooltips in different languages (i.e. showing them in english for users who have their dashboard in english and showing them in french for users who have their dashboard in french). There is a language folder in the plugin, but I'm not sure how to do that.

2) I would like to add a lot more (!) of tooltips everywhere in the dashboard. But it looks like the addition and position of the tooltips are managed with JS (jquery). I'm afraid this would really slow down the browser. Imagine I would like to add a tooltip beside every link/checkbox/option of the dashboard... Would you still recommend this plugin? What would be a better alternative?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Lorange,

1. It looks like we may need to add the appropriate language files to this download to make translating a bit easier for you. I'll ask the developers to get this added quickly. As for providing different languages to folks, I'm not sure that's an ability on the same install with this plugin. Anybody else have experience with that?

2. You're right. Adding all of those tooltips to the backend is going to slow things down a bit. Rather than doing a tooltip for everything, why not create a short tutorial video on how to complete common tasks in the admin area? We offer a few (in English) here for download:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/videos/

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi James,

Thank you for your answer!

1. Yes, it would be great to add these languages files. And at the same time, maybe the tooltips messages could be moved to a language file too?

2. Yes, of course. But I think most users don't like having to switch to different pages or read documentation to do simple things. These tooltips are a good idea. But I would like to have the possibility to add more tooltips in order to make it really helpfull.

3. Another thing that troubled me with this plugin is the new large "Help" button that is added at the top of certain pages. There is already a "Help" link at the top-right of every page in the original WP dashboard, which makes this new "Help" button redundant. Now there are two different contextual "Help" screens, which makes it a little confusing.

Cheers

Laurent

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

1. Please expect an update to Easy Blogging Tooltips over the weekend with localizations. You could add your messages to the po file as (I'll localize the tool tips as well). However these strings will not be in the pot file.

3. I'll see what can be done about the redundant Help buttons.

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply!

3. Well, as there is already a contextual help tab in the original WP dashboard, the best thing would be to be able to change the content of this existing tab instead of adding a new one. This would be really great because on several pages this contextual help tag is just linking to wordpress codex (see attached picture). I would like to customize it for my end.users.

• startrek
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm using Easy Blogging Tooltips version 1.1 (downloaded in september/2011) and there is no language files. The majority of WPMUDEV plugins have .pot or .po files, Easy Blogging Tooltips don't. Where are the language files?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.