easy blogging wizard not showing changes

Hi,

I just installed easy blogging wizard. It works, but when I change the content of the wizard it doesn't update.

In other words it just shows the default wizard, not the steps I've defined.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

This was an issue before, but I thought had been sorted in the 1.0 version. I've got it setup on one install and it works correctly.

Can you tell us what versions of WordPress and EasyBlogging you're using? Is it a multi-site? BuddyPress?

Is there anything in your server's error logs?

We'll help ya get it sorted, but I figured it'd be easier just to ask several questions here up front so that we can get all the needed information straight away.

Thanks!

• howtogetcare
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you very much!

I'm using the latest WordPress release (3.0.1 I think).

EasyBlogging is version 1.1 and yes it is multisite with buddypress (version 1.2.6).

I've just checked the error logs and there's definitely nothing there.

Thanks again!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Thanks for the information. These plugins (Easy Blogging and Easy Blogging Wizard) are not compatible with BuddyPress at the moment.

You could try disabling BuddyPress and seeing if the wizard then saves the steps correctly.

Let us know. If you're wanting to continue using BuddyPress though, I'd say it's best to hold off on using the Easy Blogging suite for the time being.

Thanks!

• howtogetcare
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Just to let you know, I found a workaround that allows me to use Easy Blogging Wizard with BuddyPress.

By using the Blog Templates plugin I was able to make a default blog that had the settings for Easy Blogging Wizard I wanted.

Which means it now works with BuddyPress perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

• jenniferljl
    • Flash Drive

What does it mean "using the Blog Templates plugin" you were "able to make a defual blog that had the settings for Easy Blogging Wizard"?

I think I remember seeing a plugin that would select a default blog template somewhere (I don't remember where.) Is that the one you're talking about???

I'm running BuddyPress and my users are not all that web-savvy. So they definitely need the Easy Blogging plugin. (It's GREAT, BTW!) When they are both installed there is no way to scroll down and see the different theme options (in the Easy Admin window.)

• czydrm
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I'm having the same issue. Running WP 3.0.1 multisite and EBW 1.0 which I re-downloaded again today with no change.

I did find this in the error log.... [Thu Nov 25 14:31:46 2010] [error] [client 67.70.201.125] File does not exist:disappointed:public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/easybloggingwizardfiles/css/images/ui-bg_glass_50_5ab9e7_1x400.png, referer: http://xxxxxxx.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/easybloggingwizardfiles/css/jquery.ui.sortable.css?ver=3.0.1

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

I was trying to add a couple of things, including leading them to a custom theme options panel. But i even made simpler changes, like text..nothing at all changed, the steps are just using the the defaults. This is a test domain im setting it up on, so if I can send you a private message you can login and take a look. ive looked for a mistake over and over, but i cant figure anything out.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@czydrm that error would seem to state that the files don't exist (or perhaps the permissions are set incorrectly). Can you verify that the files are all correctly in place?

@laureenc, send us an email through the contact form on the site. Put my name in the subject and put a link to this thread as well as some login details and I'll take a look. Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya czydrm,

What have you tried that isn't working? We've tested this a couple times and things are working normally on our installs. Can you tell us what versions of WordPress/BuddyPress you're testing on and what isn't happening (does it appear to save changes, are new steps appearing correctly)?

Also, checking your server for error logs is a good first step in trouble-shooting.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

HIya czydrm,

Would you be willing to send us a super admin login to take a look at your site? If so, use the contact form and put my name (Mason) in the subject line. Be sure to include a link to this thread and all the login information.

I'd be glad to login and take a look for ya. I've tested a couple different ways now and I'm not seeing a problem, but seeing it in action would definitely help us track down the problem.

Thanks!

• thedesignpeople
    • New Recruit

I'm having the same issue as czydrm. Latest WordPress (multisite), latest plugin version. Add steps to admin just fine, they save, and I don't see any errors. But on site creation I only see the default steps.

I'd be happy to provide admin login if it would help.

Rusty

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

OK, so my problem as i described is exactly the same as the more recent posters. FIne on super admin, wrong on new sites. And I just attempted the same setup on an install on a totally different hosting account with different themes, different plugins. Also, and i dont think i had this problem before, but on this setup, the easy admin interface keeps duplicating itself inside the same window. If that makes sense. Again, sending login info as you suggested.

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

FYI...following my message with login info last night, i had to actually delete the plugins. I noticed an extreme slowdown, and the host told me the site was throttled because of slow querys and i should uninstall plugins -- which i had installed a bunch from this site -- including the easy blogging -- last night. there wasnt a prior problem. i dont know how this whole throttling works, but maybe when you go in you will be able to tell if they were the cause, because i cant image what else :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@emorling, you can also add the following after any page to reset the steps:
    wizard_step=0

So for example: /wp-admin/index.php?wizard_step=0 should take you back to the beginning.

Unless this has recently been changed, but on my tests it worked correctly.

Hope this helps! Thanks!

• emorling
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks, the ?wizard_step=0 was very effective!

There is still a problem with the custom steps. I added a new custom step called "Add widgets" refering to the page "widgets.php".

This step is displayed in the wizard, but it skips this skip to the end after completing the first step "First Post".

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya emorling,

I'm thinking that if the first step is to create a post then the action of 'publishing' the post will pull you out of the wizard. What happens after you do the first step? Do you see the final "all done" screen?

I'd recommend setting the new post or new page item to the last thing on your list and see if the wizard is able to complete with this setup.

As always, let us know how it goes!

Thanks!

• emorling
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, I'll try that. Thinking out loud... what actions can the wizard really detect? It can't really detect if a user adds a widget, so to proceed the user has to go to the next step manually? Can it detect if someone updated their profile? Is there a list of actions the wizard can really detect (like make a post)?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya emorling,

I can ask a developer to respond here as well, but as far as I know the wizard doesn't actually 'detect' any of these actions by default. It simply provides the ability to create a breadcrumb-styled navigation to walk users through some initial steps.

If you're looking to do more than that you'll probably need some custom development as this plugin isn't planned to be upgraded for that functionality (there'd be a ton of usage scenarios to factor in).

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

Hey Guys,

Still having some issues here. After the updates and your fixes, the wizard is now taking my changes. But after i go through the first step, choose a theme, and try to proceed to step to, i get the following browser error:

This webpage has a redirect loop.

The webpage at http://www.thecoachaccelerator.com/test9/wp-admin/index.php#noteasy has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

This happens no matter which step I click on. Another thing i noticed is that where the steps are listed, instead of listing the titles that i entered, its listing the details, so they are really long any messy. I really appreciate your help. I cant wait to get this working :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.