Easy-to-browse layout for funding projects similar to kickstarter?

Is there a way to get a 3 column easy-to-browse layout for all fundraising projects that are listed on a page?

I am trying to create a layout similar to kickstarter (ex. http://www.kickstarter.com/discover ) where a user would be able to view all projects in a smaller and easy-to-sort through format. (hope that makes sense)

Help is appreciated, thanks!

• Mason

Hiya fitmogul,

Ahh, what you're looking for is a theme page template that would display all fundraising event post_types in a grid layout.

This is really tricky to provide within a plugin as any styles you dictate will invariable clash with some themes out there. But within a theme - this is very doable.

In fact, you may want to check out our grid-market theme. It provides a grid layout for products (which are also custom post types) and could be adapted. Really - any theme with a grid-style layout should be able to do the trick with a bit of tweaking.

So, while it's not something we (currently) are including with the product, hopefully that gets ya pointed in the right direction. And if you have any specific questions along the way, just let us know and we'll assist as best we're able.

Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya BlueGoat,

Everything you want to do there is doable, but again is specific to the theme. I just viewed the site and saw that you had one fundraiser on the front page so looks like you may have that sorted now?

As for the contribution rewards, that's going to be custom HTML & CSS to actually move the components around in that way is gonna take a bit of work. I'm gonna ask the developer if he has any thoughts on how to provide styling for the rewards components specifically.

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• cindye

I posted a similar question prior to reading this one. I also want to list the different fundraising projects on my multisite in a kickstarter-like format. I'm still not sure how to do this and some members have suggested that I use the blog directory plugin and network themes but I still don't know if that will do the trick.

Thus far what I have concluded is that in order for the fundraiser plugin to work as a kickstarter site, mu must be enabled so each fundraising project would actually be it's own site. I think this is because there will need to be several different payees/accounts to which the money will go, not just one main account. I've been playing around with the membership and pro site plugins to accomplish how this would work. (I'll let you know how it goes.)

That being said, once I figure out the framework, I need to figure out how to compile all of the fundraising projects across the network onto one page. I don't want just a listing of the projects, but like you, I want them displayed in a grid-type gallery. I hope I don't have to do this manually, but I'm sure there is a way to integrate the blog-listing plugin and the network theme I mentioned earlier, perhaps creating the page as a sub-directory and then using a url link on nav menu.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Cindye

• Mason

If you're wanting a grid layout the network theme is going to give you the best results from the start. Just make sure you create a child theme and then have it look for fundraisers vs. regular post types.

I'd ALSO recommend installing our Post Indexer plugin. This way if you end up not using the Network theme, your posts are all in one table ready to be queried in any theme format ya like:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-indexer

Best of luck to ya. Thanks!

• Mason

Hmmm... I'm thinking it'd be better to go with posts (or post_types really) for 2 reasons:

1. The fundraiser posts can have several different statuses which Fundraiser applies by default. It's then easy to setup a query to show fundraisers that are ending soon and also hide fundraisers that have expired. With individual sites, you'd pretty well have to do this manually. After a fundraiser expires, you'd archive the site, etc.

2. There may be the odd event that a person or group decides to have more than one fundraiser. I dunno, maybe it's an annual thing or something. Anyway, this would allow them to use the same site again. Of course, you could always disable this if you wanted.

For those reasons, I'm thinking site makes more sense, though I'll also say there's nothing really wrong with doing it either way.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.