Easyblogging breaks normal admin and doesn't leverage 3.4 customizer

Easyblogger deliberately hides theme options, presumably to make things look less complex, on the easy blogger theme menu.

Unfortunately this ‘breaks’ normal admin use of themes as it hides the class .theme-options (in wdeb-global.css). There is no logic applied to this ‘hide’, so the ‘theme options’ are not seen on admin panels that are not using easy blogger.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, is that easyblogger’s over zealous hiding means that the new 3.4. ‘customizer’ feature is no longer seen or clickable from easybloggers ‘theme option’ . The 3.4 theme customizer is a massive improvement in ease of use and should not be denied from easyblogger users (in my opinion)

There are work arounds, but I think this should be addressed.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @roibot,

As you said, there are work arounds including providing full access to the admin to specific user roles while using easy admin for others that don’t need the features.

We can look into this, but theme options have never been something we’ve planned to incorporate to easyblogging and would need a lot of members asking for it to consider it.

All that being said, I will mark this one as a feature request and let the developer know you’re interested in something like this.

Thanks!

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi,

Adding Theme Custiomizer as an extra menu item on Easy Blogging is straight forward enough.

But I think you should also rasie a bug request, as the easy bogger plug-in breaks the standard admin interface for themes.

Even if easy blogger is not used for a user, just by the plug-in being installed for all users get impacted, the class .theme-options is set to display:none. Really a plugin shouldn’t impact something taht doesn’t used it.

the ‘hide’ of class .theme-options should only be activated if easyblogging is active for that user

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @roibot,

But I think you should also rasie a bug request, as the easy bogger plug-in breaks the standard admin interface for themes.

Even if easy blogger is not used for a user, just by the plug-in being installed for all users get impacted, the class .theme-options is set to display:none. Really a plugin shouldn’t impact something taht doesn’t used it.

Apologies. I didn’t realize this was happening even when turned off. If so, you’re entirely correct that is a bug and shouldn’t be happening.

I’ve already sent a note to the developer here so let’s get his feedback and response. We’ll get it sorted.

Thanks!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thanks for reporting the issue – of course, changing the “regular” admin interface is unacceptable for plugin with separate mode of operation, such as this. As for the customizer in the Easy mode, I understand what you mean, but I’m thinking, not everyone would want it for their users (seeing as simplifying the interface is kind of the purpose of the plugin). This is why the latest plugin release (v3.2.2, just released) has an add-on that will enable the customizer for your users.

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

Many thanks, that works fine.

There is an enhancement request out there (although I can’t find the link) to make the easy blogger user added menu items editable, it just reminded me, as I also customise some of the easy blogger built in icons, and I just went and overwrote them – dooh – never mind, 2 minutes to put them back, this time I’ll rmeber to set file permissions!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just to note you can already add or edit menu items through the “Manage menu items” add-on in EasyBlogging.

Though you can’t ‘edit’ a bult-in item. You can disable it and then re-create it using your own icons or giving it a different title. Would that do what you’re looking for here?

Thanks!

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

There are three things actually, in order of priority

1. bug in the label, it says wIzard settings when it means menu settings – easy to fix

2. You can't 'edit' an item you have added 'my item', you can only remove and start again, this is very frustrating when developing as if you want to tweak the URL etc it is very cumbersome. I think this is the subject of the enhancement request being voted for, as I said I can't find the link.

3. On 'Built-in' it would be nice to be able to assign a different icon, without having to just replacing the images (as that carried the risk of forgetting to update them each time the plug-in gets released), if you were to go as far as allowing custom icons on built-in, then custom text & sub-text would also be an extra bonus. I doubt if there is much demand for this, but who knows eh!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @roibot,

Good suggestions (and catch on the wrong label). I believe I remember seeing another thread mentioning the idea of editing vs. add/delete as well so it’s definitely something we’ll consider.

Thanks again for your feedback. It’s user suggestions that keep our products feature-rich and fresh :slight_smile:

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

Of course, I don’t know what is coming in core wordpress, when Matt Mullenweg says a radically simplified WordPress and the admin looks currently like the back of a digital SLR (which is true). That is why we like easyblogging right now, although the way we are setting it up is more ‘Easy CMS’.

But will the next release of WP make Easyblogging redundant?

http://paidcontent.org/2012/05/23/simple-wordpress-mobile-matt-mullenweg/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Good thoughts.

I don’t know that they’re planning anything that radical for the next version. Remember they’ve got a HUGE audience to think about and making radical changes would probably upset folks.

Regardless, we’ll continue to support this plugin as new versions are released until/unless it becomes completely irrelevant.

Thanks!

• WP Chef
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I too have this issue. I use the Graph Paper Press Modularity framework which has it’s own javascript menu. Easyblogging lays it all out into one page with anchor links but none of the buttons to browse files for uploading work… so i can’t upload anything through theme options using easymode ;(

I’m not the only one either; https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/theme-options-do-not-show-correctly

His theme options have their own menu as well and Easyblogging seems to break it as well.

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi, I think your issue is a different issue, this thread is related to the customizer and easy blogger. The other thread you added to is probably more closely related.

However I would guess that this is a javascript conflict. If you are in Chrome, hit F12 to open up teh developer panels, very bottom right corner is there a red icon – which indicates errors, if so click on that as that would be the starting point to understanding the error.

• WP Chef

Thanks for the tip Roibot… seems there are quite a few errors… my guess is it’s the theme’s ajax uploader and jquery menu that is the problem. Would be ideal if I could edit the EasyBlogging plugin rather than tamper with the theme.

Thoughts?

• WP Chef

I have contacted the theme author and here’s what they said;

Hi Christien,

Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee that our themes will work with all plugins, as we have no control over their code.

I would recommend updating WordPress, Modularity and the plugin to the latest versions. Our latest version of Modularity is using the latest version of jQuery, so if there is a version conflict with the plugin, I’d recommend contacting the plugin developer to see if they will update their plugin.

Thanks!

AND YES I HAVE THE LATEST OF EVERYTHING…. I’m stuck

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

That’s sounds like a great question which would work best in it’s own thread. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn’t confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

I see it’s kinda related but it’s different from the issue here.

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don’t miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

This thread was changed to features/feedback rather than support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.