easyblogging: how to ban access from admin user to theme, theme options, and widget when using easy

Hello,

I'd like to give my user via easy interface the right to use e-newsletter plugin, he/she must be an admin; however, I'd prefer that my user cannot access theme and its setting and widgets. By default, in Right now dashboard, theme and widget can be accessed as shown in Figure 1.

So I tried the following steps:

* removed "Right now" dashboard which will not show the link to theme and widget. However, it's a pity to not see other information i.e. # of pages, WP version, etc. See Figure 2.

* However, when clicking at the logo of instant-page on the top left, a client site will be shown with several menus on top including Theme options, which gives access to the theme.

Please advise the best way to do this.

Thank you,
Sawitri

• MlleSoleil

Hello Joe,

No, I don't use Buddy press.

It's true that as an admin, the user should be able to customise the theme and have all the rights to administrate his/her own site. However, as a managed site (used under WP multi-site), I'd prefer that once the settings are set, the user cannot change them. And the best way is to either hide these features or not to give them rights. Most of my users will only add new posts, send newsletter to animate their own sites.

The discussion with Cole to add a maybe a new user with the right to use plugins who is not an admin can be found here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/easy-blogging-and-enewsletter#post-270600

I'm convinced that this feature will really be appreciated. How to submit the feature to be considered for the development by WPMUDEV?

Thank you,
    Sawitri

• aecnu

Greetings Sawitri,

Thank you so much for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

I can certainly submit a feature request for you which is easy enough, but these requests may or may not ever be fulfilled since they are also based on member demand.

Therefore being a solutions person versus Cole being a developer, I am trying to come up with a solution that will work for you right now of course.

I believe in Easy Blogging you can lock certain user roles into Easy Blogging where they cannot exit or stray out of it i.e. logged into the network admin dashboard go to --> Force "Easy" mode for user with this role and choose the applicable roles.

However, if you indeed do not want me pursuing this type of a solution just let me know and I will certainly submit this as a feature request.

Please advise.

Sincerely, Joe

• MlleSoleil

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your quick reply and your help on this issue.

As you can see from the attached photo that I already force easy mode to the user, however, I also need to give my users access to other plugins such as e-newsletter which force me to give the role 'admin'. Please see this discussion for more information: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/easy-blogging-and-enewsletter?replies=13#post-270609

Apparently, when tweaking with rights of the users is quite complicated and can lead to other bugs or problems.

I totally understand that the feature might not be implemented as it'll depend on other members needs.

In the meantime, If you could help me with a short-term solution, I'll greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Sawitri

• aecnu

Greetings Sawitri,

Aha!

I also need to give my users access to other plugins such as e-newsletter which force me to give the role 'admin'.

The lights have indeed come on as to what the bottom line is here for us to resolve this issue. Sometimes it is indeed hard to get my head wrapped around these abstract concepts and remote issues that folks are trying to relay.

Perhaps a User Role Editor may do the trick at limiting members to what and where you want them to go.

After doing a total backup of your installation and database, you may want to give Advanced Access Manager plugin a go or perhaps User Role Editor plugin will be up to the task.

Please advise and thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Sawitri,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.