Edit Active Theme - Displays original theme not customized one.

Hi!

When I go to builder and go to edit the existing - heavily edited Panino theme to be able to export it as a builder template, the theme it pulls up is the original Panino theme I used to start the theme I have built out.

Is this expected behavior, or is this a bug?

Is there any way for me to convert the edited panino theme to a builder template?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello gjchandler,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

This is an expected and proper behavior. Upfront editor is for editing the site to adjust an existing theme (e.g. Panino) on "per site" base. Upfront Builder is the tool to let you either build upon an existing theme (which would be "bare"/default Panino or other starter theme) or create a theme from scratch.

If you wish to keep you customization made to the site with Upfront editor you should "re-made" them with Upfront Builder editor on the clean Panino and then continue building upon that.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Robert

Hi,

I'm gonna add on to this.

As a designer of WordPress sites, and someone who has used Upfront well before the Builder was made available. Also, due to the fact that the Builder and Upfront are inherently separate (one must search for the builder separately as opposed to tacking that into an install with Upfront and its Child Theme(s)), workflow wise, it feels like there should be some form of "Import Current Layout" feature in this.

Is there anyway to be able to have this as a possible update?

That way it, saves those of us who already customized a theme countless hours of rebuilding it in Builder.

• Dimitris

Hey there Robert,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

I just want to add that the main difference between Editor and Builder is that using the Editor you store all of its settings in database table records, while using the Builder it actually builds theme files in order to be used in separate installations without the need of importing settings.

The feature request you're proposing is totally logic and fair for me, it will require some further development though, to transfer and merge all the files & DB settings of a current child-theme into a new child theme without any actual settings.

As a final thought, I can move this thread to Features&Feedback for further consideration between our dev team and of course for more feddback from other members. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.