Editing Membership Registration Forms + Finding Custom Subscription URLs

I'm currently using the Membership Pro plug-in, and while I have managed to read the entirety of the Membership Premium 3.1.0 (pat on the back) I still have two questions:

1) On my current registration form, there are fields listing the standard:
First/Last Name, Username, Email Address and Password. There is also a listing for "invite code" as set in the Extra Options menu. However, for some reason, there are TWO spaces for passwords. So the registration "create an account" page asks for (in order):
First Name
Last Name
Please Enter desired username and your email address
Choose a Username
Email Address
Please enter a new password, and then verify your new password by entering it again.
password
confirm password
Hint: the password should be at least 5 characters long. To make it stronger, use upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols like ! * ? $ % ^ & )
Invite Code
Password:
(Must be at least 6 characters.) Confirm Password
Confirm that you've typed your password correctly.

My question in regards to this is both: a)Why are there two form feilds asking for password and password confirmation with conflicting criteria and b) is there a way to edit the fields required on the registration page (I created the registration page through the Membership --> Options --> Membership Pages --> Create Page option)?

My second main question is in regards to custom registration subscription URLs. For our site, purchasing options take place outside the website infrastructure and through a telesales department. After our students have taken care of payment options, they are sent a confirmation email which contains their invite codes. Having that invite code allows them to register and gain access to the learning materials on our website.

So, essentially, we have a visitor/stranger level of membership (those that randomly stumble on-to our site) and a Membership level.

Under the "Membership" level, I have already set the positive and negative rules associated with the membership, so that only certain content and pages are visible, depending on their status of logged in or logged out.

When our students register, they need to be set automatically to a subscription level of "membership code." So in theory, a student should get their confirmation email with invite code, be able to go to http://www.website.com/register and sign themselves up. After signing up they should be listed as access level: member and subscription plan: membership code.

However, based off previous inquiries and looking at other similar sites, I realized that I cannot put the main "register" page in the navigation of the site -- doing so seems to link to a created page that lists subscriptions and asks students to "select a subscription" rather than an actual registration form. Instead, I have to set a custom URL in the heading and label it "register".

This custom URL reads: http://www.website.com/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=2

I know that in order to find what the individual subscription # is you only need to hover your mouse over the subscription name, but where is this URL coming from? Where is it generated? Again, the only requirement we have for our site in terms of "payment" is having an invite code, so I don't have any payment gateways set -- and I hesitate to activate any since all payments are taken care of off site.

If someone could point me in the correct direction, I would be incredibly grateful, especially since these issues don't seem to be covered in the manual.

Thanks!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Amy,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

My question in regards to this is both: a)Why are there two form feilds asking for password and password confirmation with conflicting criteria and b) is there a way to edit the fields required on the registration page (I created the registration page through the Membership --> Options --> Membership Pages --> Create Page option)?

I have tested it on my test site using latest version of Membership Pro plugin and found it's displaying password fields only once.

This can be due to plugin/theme on your site.

You can just try on your development site using default WordPress theme like Twenty Fifteen and deactivating all other plugins as displayed in the following flowchart to know which theme/plugin is creating it if any.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

I can see another password field is not mandatory and we can just hide it by adding the following CSS code in the style.css file of your child theme or add it in your site using the following plugin.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

#membership-wrapper fieldset > label,
    #membership-wrapper #pass1,
    #membership-wrapper #pass2,
    #membership-wrapper .hint {
    display: none;
    }

You can edit/customize the fields required on the registration page as described in the following replies.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/adding-extra-fields-to-the-membership-registration-page#post-763439
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-edit-the-membership-plugin-registration-form#post-507770
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/gravity-forms-and-membership-signup#post-208200

I know that in order to find what the individual subscription # is you only need to hover your mouse over the subscription name, but where is this URL coming from? Where is it generated?

The URL is the dynamic URL containing query string. It's generated in the plugin code.

You have set a custom URL in the heading and label it "register". This custom URL reads:
    http://www.website.com/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=2

So does it working fine for you or are you facing any issues with it?

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Melissa

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As for issue/question #1, it did seem to be a matter of two plugins competing for space. Prior to WPMUDEV we had installed a My Login Theme along with a secondary re-direct plugin. However, since the Membership Pro accomplishes in one plugin what the other two were doing together, deactivating them in our theme made the secondary password fields disappear from the site. Now the plugins no longer compete and all seems to be working fine on the registration page.

In terms of question #2, I should clarify that the link itself works fine and that's not necessarily what I'm inquiring about. I was not the one to create the link -- at least not initially; another one of our sites also uses the Membership Pro plugin. When I was attempting to create a registration/create an account page, when I placed the "Register" page in the navigation it did not take our users to an actual registration "create an account page".

I knew that the "registration" page worked on the previously built site, however, so I pulled the URL link from our previously created site, changed the main URL to match our current site name, and made sure the subscription number matched where I wanted students to sign up on the new site. So yes, the link on our site works, but I had to pull the link from *another* site in order to create it.

You mentioned that the URL is generated in the plugin code; does that mean that I need to access the plugin .php file and pull the URL? Is there not a simpler way to find or generate the URL so that users can register at a particular subscription level? I suspected that the URL may be generated by the plugin once a person chose a subscription type through the "sign up" -- but since we don't utilize any payment or gateway options, there is not link for a "sign up" and therefore no way that I know of to organically generate this url for user registration. I'm curious on how and where to find this code so that if I need to create another, similar site in the future, I will know where to find the information without having the jury-rig it from another URL.

Thank you!

• Ash

Hello @Amy

I hope you are well today.

Glad to now that #1 issue is fine now :slight_smile:

Just to make it simple, do you want the link of register page that is selected in membership options?

You don't need to view plugins.php file at all. I am sorry, I am confused if you want register page url or url of a specific subscription page? (as you said I should clarify that the link itself works fine and that's not necessarily what I'm inquiring about.) Please let me know his briefly, we will figure it out.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.