Editing/changing the left nav menu buttons

I’m in the process of converting a lot of the site to another language (not properly just yet, will get there shortly) – but in the meantime I need to change the left nav menu buttons to a different language. Is there an easy way to edit them in the code? I’d just delete them and re-enter them if I could be those can’t be deleted. If you can just point me in the direction of the file those are located in I can take care of the rest.

Thanks,

Sam

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@samheyer

Hi Sam

Thank you for posting here and being a member of our Community!

Can you confirm whether you’re talking about the Easy Blogging plugin navigation buttons? Would you mind sending me a screenshot of exactly which ones you were not able to translate. I assume you’ve been using the .po file to translating the plugin. Did you find those strings in the .po file or were they missing.

Look forward to receive your feedback and assisting further.

Have a great day ahead.

Gina

• samheyer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ahh .. I’ve been editing .po files all week and for some reason didn’t think about Easy Blogging’s .po file. Thank you for clarifying that, I was thinking it was using all of WP’s native files.

Makes life much easier, thank you :slight_smile:

Sam

• samheyer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok so I’m running into another issue – probably something small that I’m doing wrong.

I’m using Poedit to update the .po files and as an example here’s how I’m changing the text:

#: lib/class_wdeb_admin_pages.php:402

msgid “New Post”

msgstr “NUEVA PUBLICACIÓN”

Is that incorrect? Because I can’t get it to change the links.

A few more details about what I’m doing:

1. I’ve backed up the original (wdeb-default.po) and am editing that one directly.

2. I’m not changing everything in it, just the select menu items I need changed.

Is there somewhere else I need to be making these changes as well? Or something in the document itself that I need to select so that it knows to display the msgstr as opposed to the msgid?

Finally, if there are simple instructions that you know of for doing this that’d be great.

Thanks,

Sam

• scot
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have a similar issue… How come you cannot edit the menu items? it is just add or delete? it makes it kinda of difficult as sometimes you are not sure if the wording is correct or whatnot. then you need to go remove it and start all over. if i wanted to edit the wording of the built-in menu items. where would i do that. Oh. btw. This plugin is freaking awesome. all in all i would give it a 9+ Seriously when have you ever seen a table in the back end of a website where you could not edit it? Seriously.. that is funny. Also i am thinking that when you developed it you must have made a mistake once.. like left out the icon or used the wrong one… i would have thought it would just be standard proctorial to be able to edit.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings scot,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up but this issue is not related to the issue above of translating the left menu items into a different language.

Therefore you should have opened your own ticket regarding your issue.

However, you can indeed see that I have recently addressed this very issue here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/unable-to-modify-easy-blogging-links#post-253398

And as you will see I certainly agree with you concerning the ability to edit custom menu items.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Sam,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.