edu clean theme

Hi

I am working on a site for a school organization. http://floorplanonline.com/kriscone is the test link. A few issues.

1. I am trying to create groups for classes the school. the school has pages for teachers already, so i wanted to put a link to the teacher's blog page within the group description when I create the group for each teacher. I would like to have the link below the name of the group then open up into a new window. see this page for an example. http://floorplanonline.com/kriscone/groups/mrs-hughes-class/

You can see the screen shot with the code to do target = blank. however, when I click the link, the user leaves the site. What do I need to do to make a new page open in a new window? The link works and goes to the right place, just want it to open a new window, which the code should do.

2. On the calendar, it appears the only options for minutes is 15 minute increments. Can this be changed to 10 minute increments, or provide a way to manually edit the minutes, like in google calendar? Many event actually start at say 10:20 vs 10:15 or 10:30.

3. I would like to have each group have their own photo album. Is there a plugin that allows for a photo album to be created on a group by group basis…so you could have an album for a class party for example, and maybe one for the whole year.

4. The teacher's site also has RSS feeds I could use. Is there a plugin for BP groups that allows me to add an RSS feed that ONLY shows for a particular group? That way, there could be some nice syncing between the two sites without having to have people go back and forth. I can grab the schools blog posts (I did put some on the main page), but I would like the teacher's specific posts to show within each class group. I suppose it would need to show on the group menu vs the sidebar, unless there was a widget tool to specify specific widgets to show for a specific group page….?

5. I have the tabber widget by iThemes. It should be in a tab but on this site it puts things on top of each other. Any ideas on how to make that work better?

Do you suggest a different theme that is more customizable for this type of use? Ideally, I would like more bigger buttons on the home page and even expand the number of featured areas to 9 vs 6 and have them more horizontally across the page vs vertically. I like the layout for this theme, but the news posts show up a little too wide on the right. Is there a way to edit the theme CSS easily. I thought about the Network theme that shows 3 rows of "buttons", but I have not played around with it…. Thoughts?

If I had my developer edit this theme, I assume I can reuse this for other sites as a branch of this theme and no issues using it under the GLP?

Thanks,

Kris

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi kriscone,

Lots of stuff to cover here! I’ll go through these with ya linline:

1. I am trying to create groups for classes the school. the school has pages for teachers already, so i wanted to put a link to the teacher’s blog page within the group description when I create the group for each teacher. I would like to have the link below the name of the group then open up into a new window. see this page for an example. http://floorplanonline.com/kriscone/groups/mrs-hughes-class/

You can see the screen shot with the code to do target = blank. however, when I click the link, the user leaves the site. What do I need to do to make a new page open in a new window? The link works and goes to the right place, just want it to open a new window, which the code should do.

I couldn’t see a target=”_blank” in that link. Perhaps that just needs to be included?

2. On the calendar, it appears the only options for minutes is 15 minute increments. Can this be changed to 10 minute increments, or provide a way to manually edit the minutes, like in google calendar? Many event actually start at say 10:20 vs 10:15 or 10:30.

That would be something to look into with the developer of the calendar plugin (assuming you’re using a plugin for this).

3. I would like to have each group have their own photo album. Is there a plugin that allows for a photo album to be created on a group by group basis…so you could have an album for a class party for example, and maybe one for the whole year.

I think this one might work for you, seems to have built-in group support:

http://buddydev.com/buddypress/bp-gallery-the-ultimate-photo-gallery-for-your-buddypress-powered-site/

I think the following plugin also was designed to do that, but it looks like it’s not been updated in a bit, not sure if it would work with BP 1.5 or WP 3.x:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-kaltura-media-component/

4. The teacher’s site also has RSS feeds I could use. Is there a plugin for BP groups that allows me to add an RSS feed that ONLY shows for a particular group? That way, there could be some nice syncing between the two sites without having to have people go back and forth. I can grab the schools blog posts (I did put some on the main page), but I would like the teacher’s specific posts to show within each class group. I suppose it would need to show on the group menu vs the sidebar, unless there was a widget tool to specify specific widgets to show for a specific group page….?

Hmm, I’m not aware of any plugins that do specifically that. It sounds like a matter of custom development, something possibly best done with a customization of the theme’s template files for groups.

5. I have the tabber widget by iThemes. It should be in a tab but on this site it puts things on top of each other. Any ideas on how to make that work better?

That would be something to address with iThemes support actually, as we wouldn’t really know how that plugin works.

Do you suggest a different theme that is more customizable for this type of use? Ideally, I would like more bigger buttons on the home page and even expand the number of featured areas to 9 vs 6 and have them more horizontally across the page vs vertically. I like the layout for this theme, but the news posts show up a little too wide on the right. Is there a way to edit the theme CSS easily. I thought about the Network theme that shows 3 rows of “buttons”, but I have not played around with it…. Thoughts?

Network does provide a beautiful front-end display of content, plus it is BuddyPress compatible as well, though this theme can be customized as well, to get the sort of feel your asking about. It’s really just a matter of preference.

CSS customizations wouldn’t get you additional featured areas, but it can definitely be used to adjust widths and similar things, something your developer should be able to accomplish relatively easily.

The best way to make CSS adjustments for this would be to use a child theme, and there’s actually one included in the theme folder under /edu-clean/themes/edu-clean-child/. You can then make all edits to that child theme’s stylesheet so that updates won’t delete your changes.

If I had my developer edit this theme, I assume I can reuse this for other sites as a branch of this theme and no issues using it under the GLP?

Yep, no problem there, gotta love open source!

Cheers,

David

• kriscone
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

One more thing…I put the code in to target=blank but when I save it, it keeps stripping it out…..see the screen shot I posted. So is there a way to make that field accept all the html? The link works, it just removes the target part….

• kriscone
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi.

I tried with single quotes too…it keeps stripping out the target =blank part…..so, when the link is clicked on the use leaves the site.

It would be nice to have a way to import RSS feeds for a group via a widget…so the blog posts that relate to a teacher show up just for that class group. I haven’t found anything to do this…Ideas?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

It would be nice to have a way to import RSS feeds for a group via a widget…so the blog posts that relate to a teacher show up just for that class group. I haven’t found anything to do this…Ideas?

I don’t know of any available plugins that could tackle this for you. It’d probably have to be custom development.

it keeps stripping out the target =blank part…..so, when the link is clicked on the use leaves the site.

Well, that’s what _blank does, has the user directed to a new page. I just tested adding a link in group creation with several themes (including educlean) and the _blank code was removed on all of them. As Richie said this is BuddyPress related – and not do the theme directly.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.