EduBlogs BBpress Theme Problem/Bug?

Ignore the fact that I could only select "BuddyPress Community" as that is not what i want.

The theme I am trying to install but won't let me is edublogs bbpress. I tried both installing it through my dashboard and installing it from zip, directly onto wp. The problem with zip, is that a stylesheet does not exist and therefore the theme cannot be successfully loaded. What is going on?

Also, I am looking for a theme in which users can create their own forums/groups and set them to invite only, is their such a way? If so, do you recommend a theme? Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Brian, Michael here!

The Edublogs bbPress theme would be a theme for the bbPress plugin, rather than a normal WordPress theme, but I should also note that it's for bbPress 1.1 (the latest version would be 2.5.8, there's a reason why this is one of the legacy themes).

In regards to this though:

Also, I am looking for a theme in which users can create their own forums/groups and set them to invite only, is their such a way? If so, do you recommend a theme? Thanks.

Out of the box, BuddyPress would allow folks to choose whether a group would be invite only (by setting it up as a "Hidden" group), as for bbPress though... what comes to mind would be the integration between it & BuddyPress, in that you can have a forum specifically for a group.

Right out of the box, those'd be the privacy options available, both within BuddyPress & bbPress.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Brian

Hello Michael,

So I have buddypress community theme downloaded and communities plugin and bbpress plugin.

So you are saying, that it is possible for users to create their own "forums" within the website forum. Basically, as if they were affiliates for us. So, would I need to give users who wish to start a forum admin status or can they just make themselves admin to their own new forum?

IE: Game Forum - Users who own a clan/party and are in charge of them wish to start a clan forum on my game forum website. They invite members of their clan and discuss privately what strategies they want to use against other clans within our game forum.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Brian,

If you're just planning on using bbPress on your site, what you could do would be to create a custom user role, using the User Role Editor plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

And after copying the Subscriber role first (you can do that by clicking on the "Add Role" button, and choosing the "Make copy of" option there), you'd want to grant that role the "publish_forums" capability.

Then, it'd just be a matter of inserting this shortcode onto a page:

[bbp-forum-form]

In terms of having them sign up for that user role specifically, one option would be Gravity Forms, along with the User Registration add-on.

Another would be the Pro version of this plugin here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-registration-form-builder-with-submission-manager/

As it advertises the ability to set user roles for registration forms.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael