Effective subdomain profile creation

Hi! I'm playing a game of chess here, with wordpress multisite, and I need a little help. Active and pertinent plugins will be: Upfront Builder, User Role Editor, Pro Sites.

1. I want all of my new users to be able to create 'profiles' (sites), for a minimal charge
2. I want them to start off as authors; that is, to not have admin privileges to the sites they purchase, unless they upgrade.
3. I want my users to be able to enter appropriate text and images, where applicable, and blog.

I'm having a chicken-and-egg issue, here. Because I can't figure out a way to restrict new subdomain creators to less than admin, yet the access to Upfront Builder's restrictions are at the admin level, on a per-subdomain basis. ...in other words, for a user's abilities on his subdomain to be properly restricted as an author, he would have to be granted admin in order to restrict his own actions at the level of author.

I suppose I could enable Upfront Builder on my front site, but it does me no good since I don't use Upfront for my main theme. Is there a way to automate this all?

And as always, thank you for your help!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Fox Wilde,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

This is quite unusual setup that can't quite be configured out of the box.

1. I want all of my new users to be able to create 'profiles' (sites), for a minimal charge

This is what Pro Sites does and it doesn't require additional explanation, right?

2. I want them to start off as authors; that is, to not have admin privileges to the sites they purchase, unless they upgrade.

This is where problem starts, there's no way of changing subsite owner from Admin to Author, by default WP sets site owner as admin.
    Depending on the permissions you want to assign you can use Pro Sites modules to have some restrictions for different levels even though they are all admins.

About the UF Builder, you don't actually need to give your subsite admins access to builder since builder is used to create starter themes, you can do that on your main site and subsite admins still can use Upfront Editor which will allow them to customize starter theme only on their subsites.

If you don't use UF on your main site you can create your own subsite for this purpose, where UF Builder will be active and you will be creating themes from.

Hope this helps getting in right direction :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.