Email accounts in Multi-site/Domain Mapped Environments.

What's the best way for members of a domain mapped Multi-site environment to have the ability to set up email accounts off their mapped domain, since they don't have individual web hosting accounts?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi glen,

If the domains have A Records to map to their site, then they should be able to setup MX records, but they'll still need a hosting server. You can either use your hosting for that, by setting up the MX records, but you'd need to setup their email accounts then on your server.

They could also use an emailhosting such as GMAIL. See http://www.technologymatters.com.au/set-up-gmail-to-sendreceive-emails-using-your-own-domain-name/

Hope this helps

• Glenn Garnes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

We intend to have thousands of people with sites in our network, so we'd have to set up an MX record on our account for each one? Is that practical?

If they used a gmail account, I don't understand how to do that in a way that it will look like the email is coming from their domain, i.e., glenn@glenngarnes.com, if they cannot set up a POP3 account without a hosting account. Please clarify the steps if you don't mind.

Thank you very much for the reply by the way.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi glen,

Apologies. The link I provided should explain how to configure gmail to allow your own custom domain. You set it up as an alias, so you can then send/receive mail from your domain email.

At this moment, there's no way for setting up a mail host automatically. it has to be done when you create the DNS zone A record in your CPanel.

Cheers

• Glenn Garnes

Vaughn,

I still don't understand how one can map a domain using the domain mapping plugin and set up to retrieve email without a hosting account. Gmail appears to require a POP3 account which I understand is only available if you have a hosting account. What are other options for having email with domain mapping?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

You can't with domain mapping, that just maps the domain to your site IP address.

It doesn't provide for setting up emails for the domain, you need a hosting account for emails & wordpress can't do that automatically as that's done from your CPanel.

You could setup the MX records for the domains to also use your servers email system. But as mentioned, you would have to do that when you setup the domain A records to point to your servers.

Cheers

• Glenn Garnes

Can you please explain step by step how I would deal with the following scenario, so I can understand the options:

1) I have a client who has a site on our multi-site install at instantresource.com/boutique
    2) They have mapped the following domain to their multi-site blog: ElegantLivingClub.com
    3) They would like to have 5 or so email accounts off that domain

1) What are the options to do that without having to set up separate hosting accounts for each of them?
    2) If we have to set up separate hosting accounts for each what's the advantage of a multi-site install?
    3) How would we set up our servers to manage email via MX records without setting up separate hosting accounts? Is that how Wordpress.com does it?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

As i've mentioned before, theywill need a hosting account for emails, thentheywould need toset their MX recordstouse that hosting.

The alternative is that you become the host, by setting up an email account for them at the time they map their domain,so that they can point their MX records at your account, then you would create the email accounts for that domainin your CPanel, you may need to add the domain as an addon domain to your account.

The plugin can't do this for you, neither can wordpress.

The other alternative is to use google for hosting and setup an alias. This works fine because we use google here for our main company emails.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.