email address has already been used during signup

After I installed wordpress mu (2.8.5.2) I created several testing accounts for myself to see if some default settings for new blogs are working the way they should. I have a limited amount of email adresses, so after a while I delete all the blogs and users from the admin panel. So the email address shouldn't be in use anymore.

But when I try to create a new blog with a email address that I used before it still comes up with this error

"That email address has already been used. Please check your inbox for an activation email. It will become available in a couple of days if you do nothing."

But the email address that I used to create a new blog is no where to be found in the admin panel. I had a look in the database, and I don't see it there either.

Is there any way to reset the used email address? Or is this some kind of bug?

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I have a similar problem, so I looked at the wp_signups table to get myself oriented.

However, it doesn't look right.

I have four users. They are listed here, along with their ID as shown when I hover my cursor over their name in the site admin.

Admin, id=1
    fred, id=2
    help, id=3 and
    john, id=4

However, when I look at my wp_signups table, I only see two rows. One for fred, and one for help.

I can understand the site Admin not being shown in this table, but I am wondering why john is not.

To the best of my knowledge, I set up all test blogs by using the site admin panel.

Could I have changed some setting or something? Where would I start looking? Is this important? And, where did I put the marshmallows?

Thanks,
    Kirk

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Okey and dokey,

Seems strange to have erratic behaviour coming from code.

So, next question is, if I delete the "john" blog, will I be able to use that address again?

Or, can I go ahead and use the 'john' email address again anyway since it doesn't show up in wp_signups?

Interesting behaviour. Sort of like my last teenage son. Had no idea what he was going to do next. LOL

Thanks,
    Kirk

• xonuox
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am testing a new Pro Sites install and am experiencing the same problem with wp_signups keeping previously used email accounts during sign up.

Is the answer still the same as before? To delete the database rows in the wp_signups table?

• xonuox
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Deleting the rows from the database took care of my problem. My suggestion would be to automate this process, so when a user gets deleted...their signup email address also gets removed.

Still very new, so I'm not exactly sure what purpose keeping signup email addresses would serve.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.