Email and Domain mapping

Ok guys.

General question about domain mapping and emails.

1. When my clients map a domain to their subsite do they "replace" or add an A-name (using that method).

2. If they do above, would they still be able to keep their current email account with their hosting or buy email packages from a third party without issues?

• aecnu

Greetings Jason,

1. When my clients map a domain to their subsite do they "replace" or add an A-name (using that method).

They indeed add an "A" record replacing the current "A" record for their domain.

2. If they do above, would they still be able to keep their current email account with their hosting or buy email packages from a third party without issues?

Yes but they need to modify the current records for email to whomever their host is, being a hosting company or a third party. The procedure is the same just different IP's.

Be notified of follow-up posts via email (yes) - keep forgetting to check that icon - maybe there is a way for post owners to be auto-subscribe to their post? [side note]

Thank you for your feedback on this significant feature, and I agree to members being auto subscribed to their own tickets upon opening the ticket - this would be great. I will bring this possibility to the attention of our lead developer.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Jason,

Well this is somewhat of a complex question and totally depends on the host of the domain and the situation with almost an infinite amount of possibilities.

I can point my mx records to server 1, ftp records to server 2, my "A" record to server 3, lets say we have a voip system and I want to point sip.domainname.com to server 4, etc. etc.

So therefore there is no 100% solid answer to this, but there is however an easy way to for example add email to the clients domain mapped site, at least in CPanel there is.

In this example the client sets their domain nameservers to your hosts nameservers and then you can take care of DNS from there. On your side you would want to simply park the domain in your MultiSites Cpanel and then Domain Mapping will work and if you go to email accounts you can select the drop down menu from the email accounts section finding the clients domain and then creating his email account.

One other example, would be they host the domain registration at go daddy and they also have email with them, they would simply leave the email account setting alone which points to go daddy email servers and set the "A" record to your MultiSite IP.

I can certainly go on and on but will refrain from doing so reiterating that other then an "A" record directing to your MultiSite dedicated IP, the possibilities are almost limitless.

Have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.