email not being sent

I have a wordpress multisite and buddypress setup. I created a test blog just so try out the process and would now like to delete the blog. I signed in under the new user created when I created the test blog and under tools clicked "delete site" I check the box confirming I wanted to delete. But I never received an email. Any reason why that might happen? I am not even sure where to begin trying to figure out what is not set correctly. I double checked the emails and they match.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hmm and are you using any e-mail plugins? For example, ones that allow you to use a different sending method?

I should have been more specific with my previous question too :slight_smile: WP is obviously able to send e-mail which is great, but how about to that particular e-mail address?

Does the same issue occur when deleting other sites, owned by different users?

Just trying to narrow down exactly where the problem could be...

Phil

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

no email plugins, only plugin installed is buddypress

the email address I signed up with was able to receive the activation email...just not the delete email.

I have not tired it with a different user. Let me create a new user and blog and see what happens there.

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

okay...so I did this.....I have another wordpress multisite install and I tried it there - created a new blog (email worked fine) then went back and deleted it (no email - just like with my other site).

does it work for you? or maybe I did something wrong on my install that makes the delete site not send an email on both wordpress multisites.

???????

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, it works on my test install which helps to rule out the plugin.

Did you use a different e-mail address in that last test? If so, that suggest something on your server is preventing the e-mail from being sent out.

To dig into that, you'll need to look into your PHP or sendmail logs. Ask your host if you're unsure about how to do that.

Phil

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

okay...so I am using bluehost for my hosting company. I contacted them and they said they need to know "The settings that you trying to use and the from email address if any - SMTP is usually the best option to use"

I have no idea how to answer their question. I told them I was using wordpress, but that did not seem to help much.

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

according to bluehost "there is no sender listed in the header line"

does that make sense - I don't really know what he is talking about, but he said I needed to install the plugin mailfrom and that would fix it.

Is that what you would suggest as well or ???????

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

Here is the log from bluehost.....

Here are copies of the mail logs for the two users that were deleted.

2011-09-09 17:11:26 1R2AEI-00014Q-Ow remote host address is the local host: test.activelifegoals.com
    2011-09-09 17:11:26 1R2AEI-00014Q-Ow H=localhost (box459.bluehost.com) [127.0.0.1] F=<activel7@box459.bluehost.com> temporarily rejected after DATA: all attempts to verify a sender in a header line deferred

+++ 1R2A3Z-0002wf-BE has not completed +++
    2011-09-09 17:00:21 1R2A3Z-0002wf-BE remote host address is the local host: mytestgoals.activelifegoals.com
    2011-09-09 17:00:21 1R2A3Z-0002wf-BE H=localhost (box459.bluehost.com) [127.0.0.1] F=<activel7@box459.bluehost.com> temporarily rejected after DATA: all attempts to verify a sender in a header line deferred

Does that help any? I don't really know what it means.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Wow, this is an odd one. I see a couple threads this year on this topic over on wordpress.org and wordpress.com - so the good news is you're not alone.

However, no one seems to have come up with a solution for anyone else suffering from this issue. Have you tried posting to WordPress.org?

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

no, I was hoping someone here would know. I tried reinstalling but still no luck.

until I figure out a solution. Is there a way they can delete a site without an email being sent? Obviously I need users to be able to add and delete sites on their own.

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

hello again,

okay....so I reinstalled wordpress and set up a multisite - one with sub-directories and one with sub-domains. Not sure what the difference is, but the one with sub-directories works fine - I am able to delete the site. But was still unable to delete a site using sub-domains. Both installs were on the same hosting server - bluehost.com.

I am going to reinstall and try again with the sub-domain - wondering if that is the problem.

When you did your test install, did you use sub-directories or sub-domains?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.