email reminders are not sent to client cancelation notification not working

We have an issue with email notification;
Reminders of appointments are not sent to clients only to service providers.

Cancelation notification is also not working correctly - no notification is being created not for the client and not for the service provider

These issues started around april

The setting has not changed since day 1

I am at a loss as to why this is happening and need your help

The log shows the problem started mid april

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @CosmicHeartBeat,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I created new service provider on your site to do some testing and booked an appointment but no email is being sent even when I resend the confirmation email from settings so it looks like you are having issues with sending emails all together.

I see that you have couple of security plugins active, it's possible that some of them got updated in April and included some new options that are blocking emails.
    Did you try running basic troubleshooting by disabling your plugins and leaving only A+ activated to see if it's working after that?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• CosmicHeartBeat

Hi there
    thanks for looking into it for us

1. Confirmation of appointments booking are not sent to clients or providers
    2. Reminders of appointments are not sent to clients - but are sent to service providers.
    3. Cancelation notifications are also not working correctly - no notification is sent to clients or provider

This issue started around mid april. (can see it in the log)
    The security plugins were installed in the last few weeks, so I doubt that is the issue.

Emails ARE being sent from the site - if you look at the log you can see that emails are sent to the provider but they are only the reminders.

[June 6, 2015 9:22 am] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:174
    [June 6, 2015 3:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:147
    [June 6, 2015 4:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:174
    [June 6, 2015 5:31 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:137
    [June 6, 2015 6:31 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:151
    [June 6, 2015 7:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:156
    [June 7, 2015 3:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:147
    [June 7, 2015 4:42 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:174
    [June 7, 2015 5:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:137
    [June 7, 2015 6:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:151
    [June 7, 2015 7:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:156
    [June 9, 2015 3:38 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:148
    [June 9, 2015 4:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:173
    [June 9, 2015 5:36 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:139
    [June 9, 2015 6:30 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:157
    [June 9, 2015 7:31 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:155
    [June 14, 2015 3:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:148
    [June 14, 2015 4:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:173
    [June 14, 2015 5:42 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:139
    [June 14, 2015 6:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:157
    [June 14, 2015 7:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:155
    [June 15, 2015 3:42 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:148
    [June 15, 2015 4:42 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:173
    [June 15, 2015 5:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:139
    [June 15, 2015 6:42 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:157
    [June 15, 2015 7:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:155
    [June 17, 2015 6:38 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:154
    [June 17, 2015 7:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:152
    [June 22, 2015 6:37 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:154
    [June 22, 2015 7:38 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:152
    [June 23, 2015 6:31 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:154
    [June 23, 2015 7:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:152
    [June 24, 2015 3:31 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:143
    [June 24, 2015 4:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:146
    [June 24, 2015 5:32 pm] Reminder message sent to gm@terapia.co.uk for appointment ID:145

• CosmicHeartBeat

Hi here
    Followed your suggestion although I have no idea why would that make any difference. But it did !
    I changed the email address of the main site
    I then booked an appointment as a client
    I got a confirmation email
    Admin and service provider got a copy as separate emails.
    Both admin service provider and client got reminders
    I then canceled the appointment
    NO NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER WAS CREATED

How can I resolve this?
    And why wouldn't it work with the site original email address, but work with a new email address?
    Does this mean I can no longer use the original email address?
    I tried to go back to it and got the problem with confirmation notification as before
    Where do we go from here?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey CosmicHeartBeat,

I hope you're well today! Would you mind if I add something to this conversation? :slight_smile:

Your last finding gives me a little clue here. Some servers are configured to not allow sending e-mails from the addresses that do not match the domains they are being sent from. This means that if this is a case sending "...gmail" e-mail from a "yoursite.com" domain won't work.

Usually such a configuration is setup for security purposes (e.g. to prevent server from span sending users). I'm not sure if this is the case but it seems very likely!

The solution here would be to switch to an SMTP mail instead of default WP mail. This can be easily done with a little help of a plugin, for example this one:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-smtp/

Once installed it will take over WP built-in mailing engine. The plugin here acts almost exactly the same as any desktop e-mail client so it's server-independent. The only thing you'd need to setup would be:

- provide plugin with your gmail e-mail and password
    - provide plugin with gmail's SMTP host name which most likely will be "smtp.gmail.com"
    - provide plugin with your full username which equals the full e-mail address

Would you give it a try please and let me know if it helped?

Cheers,
    Adam

• CosmicHeartBeat

Hi there
    1. If this is indeed the case ( server issue with gmail ) then how do you explain reminder emails being sent?
    2. When email is changed to same as domain Cancelation emails are Still not generated and sent to admin and service provider???
    So changing the email did not resolve the issue entirely!
    I am still waiting for answers and hoping for a solution that will resolve all issues back to normal operation...

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello CosmicHeartBeat!

First of all I'm sorry I missed that last part of your "test report".

You wrote:

Followed your suggestion although I have no idea why would that make any difference. But it did !
    I changed the email address of the main site
    I then booked an appointment as a client
    I got a confirmation email
    Admin and service provider got a copy as separate emails.
    Both admin service provider and client got reminders

That clearly states that one of your @terapia.co.uk email worked. And then there was this part:

I then canceled the appointment
    NO NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER WAS CREATED

I admit I haven't noticed it, probably because as we all know the darkest place is under the candlestick. Again, I'm sorry!

However, this doesn't mean that my proposed solution won't help. It's well worth trying as I know from my own experience that it did help many times. We'll never now this without giving it a try. The idea here is to use your original email address to send notifications (the same as was always used) but try to send e-mails another way. If it doesn't work for you then at least we'll be able to eliminate one of the possible reasons for this issue!

This change is easy to revert, so why not give it a try?

Kind regards,
    Adam

• CosmicHeartBeat

Hi there
    Thank you for keep trying to explain this away... I am not sure what it is you are asking me to try?
    And I can only reiterate what I wrote before

1. While gmail is used as the site address, emails are being sent however those are reminders only! so to my mind, it seems the system can send emails regardless of which email address is being used.

2. I set up a @terapia.co.uk email address and set it as the site address, as been suggested above, and as I said before this DID NOT resolve the issue of CANCELATION NOTIFICATIONS which are still not being sent to both service provider and admin.
    Shifting the email address did not resolve the problem!

So again to my mind there must be something else at play causing this problem since in both cases emails are bing sent out regardless which address is used. but in both cases it is partial!

Looking forward to a suggestion that actually works

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello CosmicHeartBeat,

Thank you for clarifying this.

Despite my suggestion to turn to SMTP, is there any chance to let me have a look at your setup?

To do this, I'd need to access your dashboard. Would you be so kind and grant me a support access using our WPMU DEV plugin?

Here's a guide on how to do this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Thanks,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello CosmicHeartBeat!

Thank for granting access. I've visited your site's dashboard again and carefully examined a lot of settings. I've got some more ideas but this setup is very complex - especially if it comes to security settings. This means that we'll have to check all this ideas "one by one", so I apologize in advance if this will take a bit more time!

That said, I've made some small changes (I'll be informing you each time what exactly have I done just to keep you updated on what didn't work for user and to identify the change that works) to the "Stop spammers" plugin settings.

Would you please check the notifications again and let me know if it helped?

Cheers,
    Adam

• CosmicHeartBeat

Some more information:
    While I am waiting to hear back from you, I decide to do more testing and see if I can come up with more useful info.
    1. Email address / server setup issues
    I installed and set up this plugin on another site SAME SERVER. The only difference is the site I am testing is a multisite with appointments set up on one of the sites within it.(not the main one)
    The plugin sends all types of notifications emails correctly regardless of what email is set up as the site email. It works for both gmail and sitedomin.com email.

Since both sites are on the same server I think we can disregard the idea that we have an issue with the server not allowing none domain emails to send emails!!!!

2. Security plugin conflict
    As I explained before the issues started same time the site was moved and the security measures were installed AFTER that time. So to my mind this is not the cause
    But to be sure the multi site I am testing against has the same security measures installed and there seems to be no conflict!

This leads me to the conclusion that there must be some corruption somewhere... However finding this needle in the appointments + hay stuck will be way way beyond my skill set. I was hoping for a bit more know how from the support team, but maybe I am too optimistic.

So unless you come up with new ideas beyond tinkering at the edges I think the time has come for a more radical action :wink:

Is there a way to somehow retain the current appointments info, while deleting and reinstalling the plugin?

• CosmicHeartBeat

`p.s. On the other site where I have been testing it,I discovered another issue -
    Pagination is not working - where it says <strong>next month </strong> and it should link the next month calendar - it does nothing
    I am not sure why the short code is the same as in terapia where it does work as normal.
    any ideas? Is that a theme issue? I am trying one of Mu latest there
    http://the9.practicecircle.com/make-an-appointment/

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello CosmicHeartBeat!

1. Can you please share what have you changed in the setting of stop the spammer??
    2. It made no difference - Cancelation emails are still not being received by the provider or admin

I disabled the "Check for BBCODES" option on "Stop Spammers" -> "Protection Options" page. I've already enabled it back as it turned out to be of not much help. It was worth giving a try though.

The plugin sends all types of notifications emails correctly regardless of what email is set up as the site email. It works for both gmail and sitedomin.com email.
    Since both sites are on the same server I think we can disregard the idea that we have an issue with the server not allowing none domain emails to send emails!!!!

Thank you for testing this and you're right, this proves that the issue isn't server related. At least this reason is eliminated.

2. Security plugin conflict
    As I explained before the issues started same time the site was moved and the security measures were installed AFTER that time. So to my mind this is not the cause

Good point. However I still wouldn't exclude all the security plugins from this. Yet, I think it's time to use some heavy weapons hear and call for help. Having that said, I've asked my 2nd-line support colleagues to take a look at this. Please though take into account that their response time might be slightly longer than ours here on support forum because they deal with a lot of complex issues at once on a daily basis.

Please keep an eye on this thread for further information.

Pagination is not working - where it says next month and it should link the next month calendar - it does nothing

I'm aware of this error. It's not strictly related to our Spirit (or any other Upfront based) theme but to most of the theme's that include front-end visual layout editors of any kind. Most likely this is caused by some kind of JavaScript conflict as all these themes (and Appointments+) heavily depend on JS libraries.

This has been spotted by our members just a few days ago, so it's a relatively new issue. As far as I'm aware the developers are working on fixing it with one of future Appointments+ releases.

At the moment, there's a "quick fix" available that solves the issue. First, please try this shortcode:

[app_pagination anchors="0"]

If it doesn't help, the code below should do the job:

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(function( e ) {
      jQuery('div.next a, div.previous a').click(function() {
        window.location.href = jQuery(this).attr('href');
      });
    });
    </script>

You may want to use this plugin to inject it into your site:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/header-footer/

Have a good day!
    Adam

• CosmicHeartBeat

Hey
    Thanks for coming back on those issues and thanks for the suggestion re Spirit /Appointment pagination issue.

Re terapia issue
    I can wait till next monday since the only provider using it is on holiday till that time.
    After that time it will have to be sorted for that client... Even if it means reinstall from scratch.
    I am hoping you guys can come up with somthing by then

Meanwhile I will appreciate any advice on how to delete and reinstall but retain existing appointment schedule please (just in case)

Many thanks for all your help so far

• CosmicHeartBeat

Just in case this helps others :
    Your first suggestion worked in terms of making the next button work, but done as per your suggestion changed it to next WEEK rather then next MONTH
    However adding the anchors="0" argument along with the month="1" makes it works perfectly

Question:
    In this case (the9 site) I would like to provide 3 month calendar on every page
    [app_pagination step="3" month="1" anchors="0"]
    Therefore I would like to change the text of the buttons to simply NEXT and PREVIOUS
    Can you point out where can I change this text?
    I would like to change it in the appointment+ backend rather then just this site so that it is available to any site within the multisite.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey CosmicHeartBeat!

Your first suggestion worked in terms of making the next button work, but done as per your suggestion changed it to next WEEK rather then next MONTH
    However adding the anchors="0" argument along with the month="1" makes it works perfectly

I should have mention adding a "month" argument to the shortcode, I apologize I didn't . It's great to know it's working now!

Therefore I would like to change the text of the buttons to simply NEXT and PREVIOUS
    Can you point out where can I change this text?

The [app_pagination] shortcode doesn't support any attribute that would let you change this text. You may however use our Ultimate Branding plugin for this.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/

Once installed, please go to your dashboard's (or "Network Admin" on Multisite setup) "Branding" page and enable the "Network Wide Text Change" add-on. Next, please switch to a "Text Change" tab and add text to replace as shown on an attached screenshot. You may want to repeat this last step also for "Previous" text.

Meanwhile I will appreciate any advice on how to delete and reinstall but retain existing appointment schedule please (just in case)

Actually, this may help. Of course, my call for 2nd-line support help is still active and I won't withdraw it until the issue is sorted out.

To safely re-install Appointments+ without data-loss please access your WP install (server) via FTP and head on to this folder:

/wp-content/plugins

then remove the /appointments/ folder.

Once the folder (along with its content) is deleted, please open your WP dashboard ("Network Admin" in case of Multisite install) and navigate to the

"WPMU DEV" -> "Plugins" page.

Type "Appointments" into the search box, then install and activate plugin. This should perform a clean install of the newest version of Appointments+ plugin but keep all the settings and data intact.

Let me know please how it worked!

Regards,
    Adam

• Hoang Ngo

@CosmicHeartBeat,

I hope you are well today.

I will need more information for further debug. Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• CosmicHeartBeat

Hi there
    I have now deleted and reinstalled Appointments on Terapia
    While deleting it I also deleted a plag in folder 'gotmls' this is one of the security plugins Which was installed on the site. https://wordpress.org/plugins/gotmls/

I then attempted to reinstall appointments
    Although appointment was installed I got the following error message : The plugin gotmls/index.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist.

I deleted appointments again downloaded it from WpMudev and uploaded the zip to the site installed and activated - no issues there.

Still having the terapia.co.uk email in the setting, I tested the notification which was now doing what it says on the tin - everything was working as it should .

Tempting faith I switched back to the Gmail email in the site setting to see if this too was resolved
    And I am sorry to report the answer to this one is a big fat NO nothing worked with the gmail.

Switched back to the domain email everything is working again.

I still have no explanation as to why that is... but I have decided to let it go! I can live with the email change as long as the appointment plugin notifies all concerned on all activities.

I suspect some link was made between the 'Anti-Malware and Brute-Force Security by ELI' plugin (gotmls) and appointment + in the data base hence the 'gotmls' error message upon installation.

I am writing all my coming and goings here, only in case it helps you investigate further or it helps others who might encounter this issue. But as far as this site is concerned I am done!

• CosmicHeartBeat

I hope this is the last and final post on this topic. I return to report my findings and solutions ...
    As I mentioned above I reinstalled appointments+ and tried it with the 2 email addresses.
    the results confirmed it would only work correctly with the domain email address.
    However I really wanted to reinstate the original gmail used for this site, so I kept looking for a fix.

The reason the site only worked with the domain email in this case, was - I think - because the emails for this domain are not hosted with the site, but are using Microsoft Exchange.

Realising this was the issue, I went back to Adam's suggestion and looked for an SMTP plugin. I installed 'easy wp smtp' plugin and that resolved it!!!!
    yeppiiii So thank you adam for this suggestion you were right all along.

The confusing thing was that before I reinstalled Appointments, the site was still sending the reminders emails, but after the reinstall, it would not send those either if gmail was the site email address. That made it clear where the issue was.

NO Conflict with'Anti-Malware and Brute-Force Security by ELI'
    To clarify any ideas of appointments conflict with 'Anti-Malware and Brute-Force Security by ELI' plugin I have reinstalled the security plugin to see if it would make any difference - It did not!
    There was no change in behaviour of either plugins as far as I could see.

'easy wp smtp' and Gmail
    Just in case anyone else encounter similar issues, If you are using gmail you may need to alter your google account security setting to enable the plugin to do it's work.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.