Email send says subscription is expired. This is wrong. The subscriptions should be active.

I could use some assistance with configuring M2pro. I have had a couple users get an email saying their subscription is expired, and it should not be. Also, the email they are getting is not my custom email. So I must have something configured wrong.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi kalico

How are you? :slight_smile:

Could you please grant us temporary support access to your website so we can have a better look at your setup and settings? You can grant us access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin, there's no need to share credentials. Here's our detailed documentation page about it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Please, don't forget to let us know when you'll do it.

Also, could you provide us with more details about your issue? Especially about which exact users got the emails and if it's possible could you share with us screenshots of emails that they got? It would be better if you'll hide private data on screenshots, as this is a public forum.

Best regards,
    Katya

• kalico

I ended up having a chat with Patrick yesterday, and we set up a membership with a 2 day expiry for testing on my dev site (dev.nrocnetwork.org).

Meanwhile, I had another report of a problem from a user (on the live site), which seems related to this. The user reported that there is no button to enter an invitation code. When I looked up his account, he has an activation date, but no expiration date. This is the pattern that Patrick noticed yesterday.

Normally, our users enter an invitation code by clicking a button on http://nrocnetwork.org/account-options. That page is controlled by M2P to have certain things that show up or don't show up, based on the user's level of M2P membership. So this is what this user should see (taken with "test memberships" turned on):

He would then click on the button (where the arrow is) and be taken to the page where he can enter and validate his invitation code.

This whole section at the right and the bottom is not showing up for this user. Both of those sections are controlled by M2P.

So I researched his account, and discovered that indeed, he has a recently created membership, but no expiry date. He also already HAS access to the membership he is now trying to enter a code for -- which just adds a level of confusion that I'm sure is user error. I am checking into this more, to see if he recalls having entered that access code in the past. Maybe he just ran into problems accessing the section of the site he wanted to, and tried to re-enter the access code. Or, even more likely, he got an email saying his account had expired and he tried to "renew".

I'll add more as I learn more.

• kalico

This user's issue may be a red herring. He has the "EdReady Training" membership, which does not have an expiry date, and that's OK. He also did not receive an email stating that his account expired. What finally fixed his account page is when I deactivated and reactivated his EdReady training membership.

The users who are getting a notification of an expired account seem to be only the ones with Administrative/Technical membership.

• kalico

Today I changed the duration of the Admin/Tech membership to 12 months instead of 1 years. While doing so, I noticed that there is a "spinner" to tell me it's processing ONLY when I change the number, not when I change the time period. So when I set it to 12 (instead of 1) I saw the spinner churning. At that point, it said 12 "years". Then I changed the dropdown for years to "months" and there was no churn. It saved the setting, but it just seems a little suspicious. Perhaps someone can confirm that this is a normal behavior. You can see a screencast of what I'm talking about here.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi kalico

Hope you are doing fine today!

I would like to apologize for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Regard to your last post, I can confirm the same behavior on my end too. But it doesn't seem like a serious issue because all data save as well when you change the number and when you change the period type (day, month, year). But as this behavior may confuse some our members I'll report this as a bug.

Meanwhile, I had another report of a problem from a user (on the live site), which seems related to this. The user reported that there is no button to enter an invitation code. When I looked up his account, he has an activation date, but no expiration date. This is the pattern that Patrick noticed yesterday.

It may happen because of some plugin conflict, especially if you have other plugins that managed access and user roles. Tell me if you already performed plugin conflict test. If no, could you please perform it and check if this issue still persists? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/
    Let me know about results.

Also, let me know about how goes testing on your dev site. Does it give any results? Seems like this issue needs more advanced debugging. Can you please provide me with access to that server so I can perform some tests? Please DO NOT post the credentials here as this is a public forum. You can send us your details through our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Katya Tsihotska"
    -login URL
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant URLs

Please use this subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Best regards,
    Katya

• kalico

Hi Katya,

Thanks for the reply. And thank you for reporting the "spinner" (or lack thereof) as a bug. I think it will help to have it consistent.

So ultimately, we are down to one issue: some members' memberships randomly expire on their own, perhaps immediately upon being added.

I have reviewed the account information for several of the wrongly-expired users, and found that in most cases the expiration was the same day as their membership was created.

A few additional notes....

This problem only affects the membership titled "Administrative/Technical".

I have changed that membership to a 12 month time period, rather than 1 year on the advice of Patrick, as mentioned earlier.

I have reinstated all the members who got prematurely terminated. I will provide a list of users who had this experience, but I only have their email addresses. So I will send it via the secure system you mentioned above for providing FTP access. This user list will allow you to look at those particular accounts, and see their membership history. Hopefully there is a clue there.

There is one in particular, which I will note in my list, whose membership account history is ridiculously long and confusing. It looks like his access was terminated a thousand times! This may provide some clue as to what happened or how this started. Maybe the dates will align with a known issue that happened, or something like that.

I will also note in my list the one member who I am sure got her expiration email several days after she created her account (but not a year later, as it should have been). This tells me that they are not all immediate, but many that I looked at appeared to have an expiration date that exactly matched their creation date.

The EXTREME difficulty in diagnosing this problem via plugin conflict testing is the timing. I do have a dev site we can test on, HOWEVER....can you imagine having to reenable each plugin, add a membership to a user, and then wait a few days to see if the membership expires? For each plugin? That could take a long time...lol...So hopefully we can find some clues by another method.

Regarding FTP access: We are on an AWS server and we do not run FTP at all. We allow SSH or SFTP, but for security reasons all users must first be identified by their local IP address to access the system. If you can provide me with a static IP to put in our system ahead of time to confirm you, that will be great. If you don't have a static IP, then perhaps we can arrange something where you can Skype|Hangout|etc when you're about ready to work, and tell me your IP at that time. I can get your IP into the system within an hour (during business hours).

Support access is enabled, and the LIVE site where this issue is happening is nrocnetwork.org (don't make any changes that will affect users, please). You can also look at dev.nrocnetwork.org and test there as needed, that is not a live site.

Thanks for your attention to this, and I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

kalico

• kalico

Ah there is one more "point of interest" here. I just got a ticket reply from a M2 dev Paul Kevin

I reported a js error in the console for M2. He says it's a known issue, and it will be fixed in the next update. Meanwhile, he gave me the fix, which I have incorporated in the code. Everything looks much better now in the console - in fact, there were several less obvious errors that were showing up regularly, and they are all gone now (not just the one I reported).

I wonder if it is possible that these two issues are related? I don't know how long the "known issue" has been going on, but perhaps there is a connection between them. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi kalico

Hope you are doing well today.

The EXTREME difficulty in diagnosing this problem via plugin conflict testing is the timing. I do have a dev site we can test on, HOWEVER....can you imagine having to reenable each plugin, add a membership to a user, and then wait a few days to see if the membership expires? For each plugin? That could take a long time...lol...So hopefully we can find some clues by another method.

I mean we should perform this test to troubleshoot the problem of an invitation code button. Of course, it would be very difficult and takes too much time to perform this test concerning to expires date issue :slight_smile:

Regard to SFTP access, I'll send you my IP via email.

Also, I've tried to access your staging site and have no luck with this. Could you, please, send me you login credentials to dev site to let me perform some tests on this site. Also, please, send me your SFTP credentials, when you'll allow me an access. Send all these details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

- WP login URL
    - WP user
    - WP password
    - SFTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -any other relevant URLs

Please use this subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me.

I wonder if it is possible that these two issues are related? I don't know how long the "known issue" has been going on, but perhaps there is a connection between them. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case.

I'm not sure that these issues are related because javascript errors can affect mostly on user's side, eg., when you try to change some settings in Membership plugin, but it shouldn't affect things that happen without user participation. But this need be tested to say for sure.

Please, note, that the issue has some difficulty with testing it relates to expiring term, so it may take some time before I can reply back with results. I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
    Katya

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi kalico

Hope you are doing well today!

I've got no emails about that subscription is expired, I also didn't get any errors in debug log during my test. I need to perform some more investigation to be sure that issue doesn't appear again, but I found that support access expired. It would be better if you'll provide me with WordPress login credentials to your staging site, to let me log in at any time I need.

You can do it using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

- WP login URL
    - WP user
    - WP password

Also, let me know are there any new reports about this issue from your clients on your live site.

Kind regards,
    Katya

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.