Email sending

Hi WPMUDEV

I have set up G suite / Gmail for my domain, following all of Googles instructions, as per below. I have also checked with my domain provider that everything is set up correctly. However, I am still encountering issues with sending from my site to Gmail accounts, not other account as Hotmail or similar. My domain provider tell me that it has to do with my hosting, which is with you guys. Can you help me here, please?

Regards,

Mikkel

Google Cloud Support

3. sep. 2019 16.29 (for 8 dage siden)

til mig, mikkeltoftlund@hotmail.com

Hello Mikkel,

Thank you for your reply to my email and your cooperation in sending the information I had asked.

By looking at these three messages, I see all of them as delivered, so the issue doesn't seem to be a delivery issue, but finding the message in your Gmail account mikkeltoftlund@gmail.com. You can also see whether a message has been delivered to an internal/external recipient by using the Email Log Search Tool. This tool gives administrators the ability to sift through the delivery logs for their domains and evaluate the transit of email messages. For more information on how to use the Email Log search please refer to https://support.google.com/a/answer/2604578.

To locate these messages in your personal Gmail account, please check the following:

1. Check if the email was archived, deleted, or marked as spam

2. Check your filters

3. Check if your emails are being forwarded to another account

4. Check your settings if you read your Gmail emails with another email client

For details on the above recommendations, please read this Help Center article https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7015314. You can also enter this Gmail Search Operator in the Gmail Search bar "Rfc822msgid:CAOs1pdRZzpYtvLMDWd-_J–NNpbSqNna==KYEtJ7wQXW1fHNQ@mail.gmail.com", for information on how to search in Gmail, you can read this Help Center article https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190.

I also realized your messages are not getting authenticated with SPF and DKIM, and one of the main reasons of spam classification is the lack of Email Identification, and Authentication, so please read these Help Center articles for more information about creating an SPF and DKIM record:

1. An SPF record lists the mail servers that are permitted to send email on behalf of your domain. Read this Help Center article for more information on setting up an SPF record https://support.google.com/a/answer/178723.

2.DKIM provides a method for validating a domain name identity that is associated with a message through digital signatures. In order to add a DKIM signature for your domain, we need to follow these steps:

a. Go to admin.google.com to generate a Domain Key.

b. Add the Key to your domain's TXT record.

c. Once your TXT record has propagated, go back to admin.google.com and turn on Email Signing.

Please, read this Help Center article for additional information on how to complete the steps mentioned above https://support.google.com/a/answer/174124.

DNS records are created at your domain host (unoeuro.com), and take into consideration that changes to DNS records may take up to 72 hours to be fully propagated. You can call your domain host for assistance with DNS records and asked their expected DNS propagation. Once your DNS records have been created, you can see whether a DNS record has propagated by using our toolbox https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/.

I really appreciate your time reading this email. This case will remain open for the next three business days. If you still need help with this case or have additional questions, please let me know how you’d like to be contacted and the best period of time to do so, just consider that it is faster to resolve this case over the phone. If this email answers your question, I'd appreciate a response confirming the resolution of this case.

Sincerely,

Emersson

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mikkel Toftlund

I hope you’re well today!

If I correctly understand the message that you got from them, it all comes down to DNS configuration. The SPF record that they mention is a record that should be added to DNS for the domain, the same applies to DKIM (though that’s a DNS record of TXT type).

This should be configured at your domain registrar, in DNS configuration (so pretty much same place where you set A record to point to WPMU DEV Host). We don’t provide any e-mail services on hosting and we don’t host DNS configuration.

Assuming that your domain was registered e.g. with GoDaddy, you would want to go to your GoDaddy’s dashboard and edit domain’s DNS there.

Then, you would need to add SPF type DNS record there and TXT record for DKIM (previously generating its value as described in that message that you received).

It might take time (even up to 24-48 hours) for DNS changes to propagate across the web but if what they described is the reason for the issue, that should solve it. It is not really related to the hosting itself though and . has to be done at the domain registrar panel in DNS configuration.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Rob
    • Recruiter

Hi Mikkel,

Gmail is notorious for bouncing mail that is not perfectly set up. Adam is right about DNS, SPF and DKIM configuration’s importance.

I solved a past Gmail issue by assigning a unique IP Address for each domain as Gmail doesn’t like shared IP Addresses.

Another issue I saw recently was the domain was blacklisted by one list manager that had to be corrected.

You can check for that and a range of other email issues with the free tools at https://mxtoolbox.com/NetworkTools.aspx. It might provide some further insight on your problem.

• Mikkel Toftlund
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your insights, Rob. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by shared IP addresses, do you mean shared because it’s a multisite installation? It worries me to have to deal with a supplier that makes it so hard just to use their product. What would be your recommendation, to skip Google / G Suite for email hosting?

Regards,

Mikkel

• Rob
    • Recruiter

I’m not an expert, Mikkel, I’m only familiar with the issues I had.

I do know that WPMUDEV uses Gmail with multisites without issues, so I recommend continuing to follow Adam’s advice. Make sure DNS, DKIM and SPF, and your email hosting is accurately set up. This is where MXToolbox can help. You can show you if, and how your changes took effect.

The most frustrating part is waiting for your changes to propagate across the net, sometimes this can take awhile.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Mikkel Toftlund

I agree with Rob , Gmail/GSuite (in general – Google services) can be very “picky” and very “sensitive” to settings. Yes, they would say it’s “your hosting” but that’s just “general statement” that basically means, more or less, “it’s not on our end, it’s configuration somewhere else” and in most cases it actually IS hosting because on majority of popular hosts – shared ones especially – you keep your site, your domain and often even your e-mails at one place.

Here though the thing is: the DNS that you configure at your domain registrar “controls” where traffic goes. The MX record “tell the worlds” what is your “e-mail exchange” server and it’s not WPMU DEV Hosting – mails basically don’t go through it at all.

The problem might be though a bit different…

First and definitely most important thing to do is to make absolutely sure about MX, SPF and DKIM as discussed before and, as Rob mentioned, it’s important to remember that DNS changes might take time to “become visible” across all web. That’s called propagation – that’s the “broadcasting” of the changes across entire DNS system across the web. It might take few hours, it might be as long as 24-48 hours!

Second thing – is that (I’m not sure about Google but I know that e.g. Outlook servers do that) might be a matter of “consistency” of settings of addresses uses in e-mails (e.g. forms, WP settings etc) as “From” addresses, addresses used for SMTP authorization and “From” names. I can tell that in case of Outlook servers – even the slightest inconsistency there can case mails to be rejected so basically this is worth checking as well (e.g. if using SMTP with “myaccount@gmail.com” – don’t try to send mails from “someotheraccount@gmail.com” or “other@mydomain.com” and so on).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.