embed videos into "support system" ?

Hi,

i am now truly appreciating your "support system" plugin.

Just a couple questions.

1 - i tried putting a short code for one of your "WPMU DEV Videos" and it showed up perfectly on the users end (FAQ). But I tried an embed code for a youtube video without success. When adding a new faq question in the faq manager, can i not add videos specifically from Vimeo ?

I realise a lot of wpmuDEV plugins are intended to be used through the dashboard leaving the front end for the site's primary purpose, conversion etc., which I am beginning to now really appreciate (or at least it seems this way to me). Which brings me to my second question ;

2 - If I decide to separate and consolidate tutorials to the faq part of the "support system" with videos, images and lots of faqs, would this slow down the dashboard ? How would this compare to the front end, or would it be neither here nor there ? I mean bogging down the front end with media would obviously have adverse effects as well i know but, in other words, is the WP dashboard any more vulnerable so to speak with this approach ?

any kind assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

RC.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Randall, hope you're doing well today. :slight_smile:

...But I tried an embed code for a youtube video without success. When adding a new faq question in the faq manager, can i not add videos specifically from Vimeo ?

I just tried creating two FAQ entries in a test install, and I'm able to get YouTube and Vimeo embed codes to work in both. Are you sure you're entering them correctly (making sure to use the "Text" editor instead of the "Visual" editor)?

If I decide to separate and consolidate tutorials to the faq part of the "support system" with videos, images and lots of faqs, would this slow down the dashboard ?

...I mean bogging down the front end with media would obviously have adverse effects as well i know but, in other words, is the WP dashboard any more vulnerable so to speak with this approach ?

The Dashboard as a whole, no. But, the FAQ page may encounter a slowdown if you use too many videos and images, though in my testing with YouTube videos I didn't notice a performance decrease.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

• amused

Excellent !!!

that was it.

i did not use the "Text" editor originally.

got it to work now.

just one issue though ;

the video continues to play (hearing the audio) even while clicking through the FAQ categories on top, as well as the different faqs below.

Can be a bit annoying if someone is searching/filtering through different faqs.
    Possibly a feature request for the developer ?

kind regards,
    and thanks for the quick excellent support !!!

RC.

• amused

hi,
    sorry i did not describe myself properly.
    i did not mean that the videos would auto play.
    what i meant is, if a video is embedded in a faq, and play is then clicked while the user is reading through the faq, it would then continue to play even if another faq or category is selected.

so in other words the video would have to be stopped then the user would click another faq or category otherwise if they do not stop the video, it would continue to play with the audio in the background even while they are trying to view another faq or category.

I know it sounds the height of laziness, but people would tend to just click through while searching for their faq help with out stopping the video.

understand ?

kind regards,

thanks for the follow up.

RC.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @Randall,

I hope you are well today.

I assume that you are using youtube for the embed, so please add this code to your theme functions.php or use mu-plugins

add_action( 'admin_footer', 'stop_video_play_in_faq',100 );
    function stop_video_play_in_faq() {
    	?>
    	<script type="text/javascript">
    		jQuery(document).ready(function ($) {
    			$('.faq-question-selector, .faq-category').click(function () {
    				stop_iframe_video();
    			});

function stop_iframe_video() {
    				var active = $('.faq-category-answer:visible');
    				var iframes = active.find('iframe');
    				iframes.each(function (i, v) {
    					if ($(this).attr('src').indexOf('youtube.com')) {
    						var iframe = $(this);
    						var source = iframe.attr('src');
    						iframe.attr('src', '');
    						iframe.attr('src', source);
    					}
    				})
    			}
    		})
    	</script>
    <?php
    }

Please give it a try and let see if it help.

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.