Embedding Custom Press code into current theme.

Good afternoon!

I am in awe of the Custom Press plug-in as it is allowing me to make a searchable database of video games for my review site. However I am at best a "power user" of code and PHP is way out of my comfort zone of editing.

I followed the walk through for getting the plug-in set up and running but I am having trouble with the last part, embedding the PHP code into the custom template. I use a theme called "The Source" from Elegant Themes and to be honest I have no clue where to copy and past the code into.

If there is anyway someone can point me in the right direction I can figure it out, but I just need a shove in the right direction. Obviously someone will need to look at my code so if access is needed to my WP Admin just let me know. Thank you so much and have a great day!

- Jonathan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jonathan,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I have no idea what advice to give you on this being that I am not a coder.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• jrcplanet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Joe!

I appreciate it. I just don't know how to identify calls and what not. It's like being able to speak a language but not read it. :slight_smile: Very frustrating.

Look forward to whatever you can supply. And let me know if you need a screen shot or anything. :slight_smile:

- Jonathan

• jrcplanet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Arnold and thanks for the quick response.

The end goal is to have a page look pretty much like the example did on the Custom Press site with the Shawshank Redemption movie example.

The end result is to have in smaller text the Release date, ESRB Rating, Publisher, and Developer. Beneath that a quick on paragraph text review with the box art of the game. The example on the site is nearly spot on with what I want to accomplish in terms of content and layout/formatting.

I tried putting in the short code into the post and instead it looked like plain text and not appealing to the eye. :slight_smile:

So the question is: Where do I put the PHP commands in the custom template.php code (and I successfully created the custom templates). The 2nd half is how do I ensure the formatting? I have Dreamweaver CS6 and Apple's Dashcode at my disposal if I need to do CSS formatting.

Thanks so much and please let me know if I can provide any other information.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

A post will use a template called "single.php" in your template's directory. For a custom post type copy the single.php and rename it to "single-yourcustomtype.php". If you theme is properly written, whenever you display a post from one of your post types it will automatically use the matching single file.

Now you modify the single-xxxx.php file to display what you wnat. All Custom press is going to return is text, so any formatting you would have to do yourself using CSS and html. It does take knowing CSS and HTML. Custompress is just for manipulating the data.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.