Emergency: After updating, site gone with Fatal Error message

After updating, nothing worked. All I get is this message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class URI_Template_Parser in /home/jeymi/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-plusone/lib/external/google/external/URITemplateParser.php on line 30

No site, no wordpress multisite, no nothing. Help, please, this is an emergency.

• Sean Johnson
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@jeymi, I know how you feel, been there many-a-times!

What were your trying to update?

Do you have a backup of you site or database? If your not sure, contact your host – it’s always a best practice to make backup before updating and plugin / themes / or wordpresss? If your not in this habit check out the snapshot plugin!

If you were just trying to update a theme or plugin try logging in through FTP and delete the entire directory of that specific theme/plugin. Then try installing the updated plugin/theme.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I assume you mean you upgraded WordPress? Or are you talking about a specific plugin?

The easiest thing to do is FTP in and rename your plugins directory to something else (plugins.fix). This will unload your plugins and WordPress should appear again.

You can then rename the plugins directory back to plugins and re-enable your plugins one by one.

I suspect that one of your plugins is conflicting with the new version of wordpress you upgraded to. So the key is to isolate which one is causing the conflict and then we can look at what can be done to resolve it.

Let us know how you get on.

• jeymi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi guys,

I selected all the available updates in the network admin and updated them. One or more of the plugins must have created the issue.

I rename the plugins directory through FTP and deleted the plugins that apparently created the problem and YES, wordpress its back.

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for your quick response and help.

Many blessings,

Jeymi

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jeymi,

Sorry to see that you had this issue and though I do not know the exact reason why the issue occurred, it is best practice to update one thing at a time to be able to figure out what causes tragedies like this within a single installation.

Happy to see that you got it worked out and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.