Enable affiliates for USERS, not paid site owners

I just set my site to accept users sign-ups so they could become affiliates but instantly found that the Wordpress Affiliates plugin doesn't become available for USERS that are not site admins.

Is that something to do with the Supporter plugin?

Martin.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I just set my site to accept users sign-ups so they could become affiliates but instantly found that the Wordpress Affiliates plugin doesn't become available for USERS that are not site admins.

That doesn't sound right - can you give us some more details of your setup? How have you got the affiliate plugin setup / activated? Have you got it set as a supporter plugin?

• Martin Koss
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Affiliate is network activated.
    It is not set as a premium plugin. It shows up in the list of settings for premium plugins in Supporter but, like most others, set to 'none'.
    Admins (paid users with a site) have the ability to set-up as an affiliate.

Martin

• Martin Koss

Can I bump this up please? I need to know how to make this work for USERS who are not site admins.

Got people chasing me (and it is essential to my business) to enable affiliates for people who just want to be an affiliate but don;t have a need to become a paid 'supporter'.

At the moment I've added the shortcodes to a page on the main site. If this is the only way of doing it that is fine.

Martin

• Martin Koss

Having tried in in the 'front end' I see that a 'USER' can say 'Yes Please' to being an affiliate but the 'edit' link does not bring up the Affiliate code.

Please, please help with this... I cannot work with this. If I need to reinstall then I need to do it now before I have loads of people using it.

Thanks. Martin

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Martin,

We've begun covering this elsewhere but I'd just like to post some of that information here to help document everything.

I believe this has to do with the default user roles and the following plugin should help with that.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

There's also this thread on the site that provides some more good info on this.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/change-the-default-user-role-of-new-sites-multisite

If you could take a look at getting those users a default role at your main site it would help us to get this matter sorted with Affiliate.

Thanks,
    David

• Martin Koss

Well, I think I've tried about everything I can try now... And I simply cannot get a 'user' to have access to the affiliate program.

If this can't work, it will mean a complete "back to the drawing board" for my system.

Every day without this working is a very costly day for us, now so if I start to seem somewhat anxious and frustrated....

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Martin,

Could you clarify what you mean by 'user' ?

I'm not sure but it sounds like what you're referring to is users who sign up but don't complete the signup process by clicking the activation link sent by email. Is that the case?

Otherwise, that plugin as well as your individual site Users lists should show these users and you should be able to alter these user's roles.

• Martin Koss

By 'user' I mean:
    When someone signs up at a WP site, the sign up form gives an option to 'Just get a username' or 'Get a site'.

When they 'Get a Site' they become an admin of the site they create on sign-up.

If they choose 'username' only, they do not become an admin, they become - well - nothing really.

I want these 'users' to be able to become an Affiliate without having to set up a site on my network.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thanks for clarifying that Martin. And basically, it's as I mentioned earlier, that what you need is for new users to automatically get a role at your main site in order for this all to work. So, to achieve that you can use the Multisite User Management plugin.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

What you'll want to do is install and network activate the plugin, visit your Network Admin > Settings page and set the default user role for your respective site under the Multisite User Management area (should be right near the bottom of the page of options).

This will in turn ensure that new users have a role (preferably Subscriber) on your main site at which point they'll have access to the Affiliate settings.

Could you give that a try and let me know how that goes?

Thanks,
    David

• Martin Koss

David.
    I appreciate your attempts to help.

I was about to send a screen grab of the dashboard on WPMUDev to say "this is what I want users to see"... But you beat me to it...

You have clearly taken the time to understand what I was saying and, as a consequence, your explanation (as always, the best I experience) has made me understand what I needed to do. I have set the default user role to 'Subscriber' of my main site and all 'users' are now defaulted to being a subscriber of the main site and now get the affiliate options...

I can't than YOU enough for your efforts, for listening, reading between the lines and, rather than send me around in circles, spelling out for me what I needed to do.

Sincerely appreciated. Martin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.