Enabling BuddyPress theme for main blog only

I am trying to understand this concept of enabling the BP theme for the main blog only:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/enabling-your-buddypress-theme-for-your-main-blog-only/

1. Does this mean that you can have your WordPress 3.0 multsite network activated with themes such as Twenty Ten and then click to a link for your blogs that are activated in BP compatible themes such as Social?

2. Your documentation link above seems to be written before 3.0 came out and there is a difference in the dashboard terminology from "blogs" to "sites". This is confusing to me. Is there an update to this documentation?

3. In the Dashboard under Super Admin > Themes, I have the following themes enabled and disabled:
Yes BuddyPress Default 1.2.5.2
Yes BuddyPress Social Child Theme 1.1.8
No BuddyPress Social 1.1.8 (Parent)
Yes WordPress Default 1.6
Yes Twenty Ten

However, when I go to Super Admin > Sites > edit (mydomain.com) > Site Themes:
There in the top right hand corner box --- BuddyPress Social (Parent) is the only available theme to enable with a check box. What gives, I would expect to see all of the other choices above listed there as well that I could check or uncheck?

4. When I go to Appearance > Themes: Twenty Ten is the currently activated theme. At the top of that Appearance > Themes page, I have two disclaimers:

"BuddyPress is ready. You'll need to activate a BuddyPress compatible theme to take advantage of all of the features. We've bundled a default theme, but you can always install some other compatible themes or upgrade your existing WordPress theme."

It seems from that disclaimer that they want me to activate a BuddyPress theme instead of a WordPress theme for the whole site???

Administrator: new themes must be activated in the Network Themes screen before they appear here."

How should this be set up to work right?

• Aphrodite

Hi !

Well....

1 - BP is network activated by default.. If you activate a BP theme on other sites on the network, it will display all the BP network content : groups, activity etc....

2 - not to me to answer but true. They have updated all soft but not yet all docs. Well, not really a problem though :slight_smile:

3 - Yes it is absolutly normal. The right hand box under "modify a site" allow you to activate a theme for one specific site. By force it will only display NON ACTIVATED themes !

4 - The disclaimer is for the main site. Once you activate any BP theme on the MAIN site it will desappear. You can activate any theme you want on sub sites but NOT BP ONES (in fact you can but see N° 1

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

• b4evr1

I am still trying to understand this concept of enabling the BP theme for the main blog only:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/enabling-your-buddypress-theme-for-your-main-blog-only/

The above documentation states that:

"When using WordPress MU you would normally only make the BuddyPress themes available for your main blog as it is the only blog that is running BuddyPresss."

1. Why would your main site (blog) be the only blog that is running BuddyPress? Why would you not have many of the other sites in your network also running BuddyPress? That documentation doesn't seem correct to me. Could you please explain what that means in more detail?

2. In the Dashboard under Super Admin > Themes > Network Themes, It states:

"Themes must be enabled for your network before they will be available to individual sites."

However, when I go to Super Admin > Sites > edit (mydomain.com) > Site Themes:
    There in the top right hand corner box it states:

"Activate the theme name of an existing theme and hit "Update Options" to allow the theme for this site."

If I enable themes under Super Admin > Themes > Network Themes then they disappear under Super Admin > Sites > edit (mydomain.com) > Site Themes in that top right hand box. On the other hand, when I disable all of my available themes under Network Themes, then they are all made available again under the Site Themes top right hand box to possibly check for activation.

That makes no sense to me. It seems that the opposite should be true: when you enable themes under Network Themes shouldn't they be available under Site Themes to be checked for each individual site?

If you enable themes under Network Themes, does that mean they are automatically available for all sites and that there is no need to enable them again under the edit sites section???

3. In Aphrodite's post above on number 4, she says, "You can activate any theme you want on sub sites but NOT BP ONES (in fact you can but see N° 1." Are "sub sites" all sites in your network or are they sites within or under sites? What does You can activate any theme you want on sub sites but NOT BP ONES (in fact you can but see "N° 1" mean?

• Aphrodite

3. In Aphrodite's post above on number 4, she says, "You can activate any theme you want on sub sites but NOT BP ONES (in fact you can but see N° 1." Are "sub sites" all sites in your network or are they sites within or under sites? What does You can activate any theme you want on sub sites but NOT BP ONES (in fact you can but see "N° 1" mean?

yes sub sites are sites of your network (before called blogs, now "sites"

See N°1 = see answer 1 so

1 - BP is network activated by default.. If you activate a BP theme on other sites on the network, it will display all the BP network content : groups, activity etc....

EDIT
    For theme activation :

- As super admin/ network theme : all activated theme HERE will be available on ALL network site.
    - In the edit section (your right box in a specific site modification pannel) you can activate any theme for THIS site. usefull for custumers who bought a premium theme that you dont want to showw to the others :slight_smile:.

If you activate a theme (network theme/super admin), use it for example on your main site, cusstumize it etc, and THEN deactivate in in super admin it will STILL be active on the site wher it is installed, the main one in my example.

:slight_smile:

• Sue

@b4evr1 the main site (or your main blog) is the one that has the BuddyPress theme and that is where your community interacts using the social features of BuddyPress.

All other sites on your install are limited to the features that are part of the theme they are using and whatever plugins and widgets they have added. The idea is generally your community is blogging on their own sites and the community may be interacting directly with each others sites by writing comments on the post. Then everyone comes together on the main site (or main blog) to interact with the social aspects of BuddyPress. While also using the BuddyPress admin bar to navigate their way around your install.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.