Enabling BuddyPress theme for main blog only

I am trying to understand this concept of enabling the BP theme for the main blog only:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/enabling-your-buddypress-theme-for-your-main-blog-only/

1. Does this mean that you can have your WordPress 3.0 multsite network activated with themes such as Twenty Ten and then click to a link for your blogs that are activated in BP compatible themes such as Social?

2. Your documentation link above seems to be written before 3.0 came out and there is a difference in the dashboard terminology from “blogs” to “sites”. This is confusing to me. Is there an update to this documentation?

3. In the Dashboard under Super Admin > Themes, I have the following themes enabled and disabled:

Yes BuddyPress Default 1.2.5.2

Yes BuddyPress Social Child Theme 1.1.8

No BuddyPress Social 1.1.8 (Parent)

Yes WordPress Default 1.6

Yes Twenty Ten

However, when I go to Super Admin > Sites > edit (mydomain.com) > Site Themes:

There in the top right hand corner box — BuddyPress Social (Parent) is the only available theme to enable with a check box. What gives, I would expect to see all of the other choices above listed there as well that I could check or uncheck?

4. When I go to Appearance > Themes: Twenty Ten is the currently activated theme. At the top of that Appearance > Themes page, I have two disclaimers:

“BuddyPress is ready. You’ll need to activate a BuddyPress compatible theme to take advantage of all of the features. We’ve bundled a default theme, but you can always install some other compatible themes or upgrade your existing WordPress theme.”

It seems from that disclaimer that they want me to activate a BuddyPress theme instead of a WordPress theme for the whole site???

Administrator: new themes must be activated in the Network Themes screen before they appear here.”

How should this be set up to work right?