Enabling GZIP on my websites

Good day, please may you assist me in enabling GZIP for my domains. I have tried almost everything. I contacted the hosting provider and they sent me the following guide: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000716649-How-to-enable-gzip-compression-in-Apache-on-Plesk-server-

I added the lines of code to the .htaccess file and nothing has changed. I do not know where to go from there and this is a vital part of optimising my website. Please let me know if you need to login to my file manager for the website. Please help :slight_frown:

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Garry,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

The rules mentioned in that guide are pretty much the same ones that Hummingbird adds to your .htaccess file.
    However in order for these rules to work, your server needs to have "deflate" module active, and that's actually the first step mentioned in the above guide.
    Also, depending on your setup also check if "filter" module is enabled, it's explained more in step 1 which kind of setups needs this.

If you're sure that these modules are active (your host can check and confirm this) but you're still having issues with browser caching could you please grant support access so we can have a closer look?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Garry
    • New Recruit

Hi thank you for the information.

I have granted access to the support team on the website. I have also checked all of the above and everything is checked as it should be. Please let me know if it would help if I gave you hosting login details?

Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Garry,

Thanks for granting access, I had a look at your site and can actually see that GZIP compression is enabled for HTML but not for JavaScript and CSS.
    What this means is that "deflate" module is active, but your host most likely has some predefined GZIP values set on the server side and they prevent these rules to be changed via .htaccess file.

You should get in touch with your host again and ask them to either enable GZIP Compression for JavaScript and CSS as well, or at least allow these changes to be made via .htaccess rules.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Garry
    • New Recruit

Hi there,

I run off of a self maintained dedicated server, and unfortunately I do not know where or how to change these. I do have SSH and root login, can i send you these details and would someone from your side be able to assist me please?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Garry

I'm afraid server administration is a bit outside the scope of this support forum. Personally, I'm not much of an admin either. However, I'll ask some of my colleagues that are more experienced with Linux administration if they could help.

They would need an access though so please send in SSH root login and password (and host & port number) via this contact form:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Please use only this as a subject line: "ATTN: Adam Czajczyk"
    and also include link back to this ticket for reference.

Please note though: I'll ask them to check this but since this is server administration/configuration issue, I'd rather not make any promises. I hope they'll be able to help but please consider the option that you might need to hire a sysadmin to help you with that. We'll let you know, however, whether it will be necessary.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.