Enabling Page Caching & GZip to site without using plugins?

YNFA.NET

Hi,

My client has remarked that the site needs to be operating faster. When i use a page caching plugin it clashes with my splash page which is no good. How can i implement all the necessary speed increasing operations without using a plugin? See below from Google Speed Insights

Enable compression
Leverage browser caching
Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Reduce server response time
Minify CSS
Minify JavaScript
Minify HTML

Many thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey Studio,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

How can i implement all the necessary speed increasing operations without using a plugin?

You could write your own scripts to do those processes and hard code them into your site, but I feel you may still get the same conflicts if one of those processes happens to be the one causing the problem in the first place.

In most caching plugins they will allow you to turn off certain features. For example, "Minify Javascript" is often the cause of conflicts when you are using Js on your site then activate that feature in a caching plugin. It is best to just not use it if that is the case as it will do more damage than good.

reducing the server response time is largely host related as they control the server.

A lot of the time slow speeds is due to the server your site is on. If you put your site on a dedicated server, it will likely be much faster - especially if that server is optimized.

I think the much easier plan here would be to find what part of the caching plugin is conflicting with your splash page and turn that off.

Otherwise you will need to code your own functionality to do what the caching plugins were doing, just without the part that was conflicting. If that makes sense!

You could also ask your host as well as there is ways they can optimize speed from their end :slight_smile: this is especially true when you have a dedicated server.

Hope this helps Studio! Let us know if this brings forward further questions. Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.