Endless Membership Problems | Every Feature I Try Is Broken

I have spent several weeks attempting to get a basic membership site set up now. I am incredibly frustrated as I seem to just go in circles - just when it seems I get something to work the changes or test subscriber accounts disappear.

Here is the full list:
1. Menus flat out refuse to switch between logged in and non-logged in users. I have tried every combination I can think of - setting the guest menu to be default in appearance, setting the logged in user menu to be default in appearance, limiting permissions on the guest menu and marking it to switch to the logged in user menu, limiting permissions on the logged in user menu and marking it to switch to the guest menu. I can find NO documentation that explains how this is supposed to work, so I just tried everything...but nothing has worked so far. Currently, the admin user sees the footer menu that is limited to guest account access only, and non logged-in users see the members only footer menu. The primary menu doesn't switch at all. I'd try logging in with one of my guest accounts, except...

2. All subscribers disappeared! They are still listed as users in Wordpress, but when I try to add them back to the default membership (which I intended to use for free users to access a free course in CoursePress), nothing happens. The default membership isn't even an option to check.

(Note: I created an entirely new account to get access to the free course to check something just now- the menus did switch once logged in [to the guest menus]...so the functionality seems like it might be working, but I've definitely had the menu settings completely disappear on me before. I really wish there was some sort of step-by-step documentation around this as I'm really confused and tired of wasting time on something that should be simple.)

3. I set up a payment gateway (Stripe in sandbox mode) to test that out, and the registration button doesn't even appear. I've attached a screenshot - developer tools makes it clear that it's not loading an invisible button or anything. The whole area is just totally blank.

4. I'm still struggling to figure out how to have one free course for free members, but allow the other courses to be accessible only by paid members. I attempted to restrict access by URL, but that just turned the free course blank (much like the registration button in problem #3 above) for EVERYONE. The only way I could fix it was to turn off URL restriction and go back to category restriction. The problem with this is that I don't want to restrict ANY PART of the free course. I have been waiting on an answer in another ticket for a month now (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/standard-method-for-auto-enrolling-subscribers-in-membership-2-to-all-coursepress-courses), so I have no clue if it works...but if I set a course to only allow manual enrollment, and I use the auto-enroll code snippet from that thread, would that solve the problem without using any restriction?

I'm anticipating a request for support access to the site, so I've already enabled it.

• Rupok

Hi Jesper Luth

Hope you had a wonderful day.

Well, seems like you are having quite a few issues there. But don't worry. Our Support Team is here, so let's fix one by one.

1. Menus flat out refuse to switch between logged in and non-logged in users.

Actually I need to see your current configuration and make some tests to confirm. As you said "I'm anticipating a request for support access to the site, so I've already enabled it.", I tried to login with Support Access but I could not. It's showing me the following error:

Sorry, this is an invalid access token. You must ask the user to grant access.

Can you please revoke and grant us permission again so we can have a closer look on this?

2. All subscribers disappeared!

Again, I need to check this on your site. Did you check the Expired/Cancelled tab in "Dashboard > Membership 2 > All Members > Expired (Tab)"?

3. I set up a payment gateway (Stripe in sandbox mode) to test that out, and the registration button doesn't even appear.

I went to your site, and signup button appears for me. Please check the attached screenshots. Can you try from a different browser? And just to make sure, are you checking when you are logged out?

I attempted to restrict access by URL, but that just turned the free course blank

I can tell you better after checking your site configuration.

Please revoke and grant us permission again so we can work on these and fix all these as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to hear from you and solve these.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Jesper Luth

Hi @Rupok,

I did as you asked regarding revoking and allowing support access.

I did not see any members under cancelled or expired. I swear that default memberships used to be listed there, but maybe that changed with the latest version? I'm only testing with unpaid accounts right now, and they only show up under Users.

Also, I believe I fixed the Stripe / payment button problem. It was not obvious, but I had to go in to select which gateway the publicly available membership could use (none were selected by default - I think because I setup a recurring stripe gateway instead of a single purchase).

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jesper,

I did not see any members under cancelled or expired. I swear that default memberships used to be listed there, but maybe that changed with the latest version? I'm only testing with unpaid accounts right now, and they only show up under Users.

Please check All with filter in Subscription Status "All users". This is not the default filter, so sometimes it looks like you have no users at all, and they just "hiding" there. Screenshot is from your site, and there were users there - please check on your side if you also see them.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.