eNewsletter and 1&1 email not working

I'm trying to set up eNewsletter and my email is provided by 1&1. I've put all the relevant details in the outgoing SMTP Email settings and all i get is a popup saying failed to send test email (screenshot of popup attached).
How do I set up the email settings?

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Adam,

So sorry to hear the inconvenience you are having. Can you please make sure you used the SMTP settings provided here and still getting the same issue? https://help.1and1.com/e-mail-and-office-c37589/1and1-mail-basic-c37590/using-the-product-c85088/e-mail-software-setup-credentials-a616889.html

If you used the exact same information provided in the link above in your E-Newsletter SMTP settings, and still getting this error, can you please try with google SMTP and check if that works? If other SMTP settings work, then this is an issue with 1&1. In that case, can you please contact their support and let us know what they say about this?

If no SMTP works from your site, can you please do a plugin conflict test just to make sure no other plugin is causing this? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know the results of your tests. These will give us valuable insight regarding the issue. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Adam,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I tried to setup a gmail smtp in your website, but it doesn't seem to work in your system. I was getting the same result as shown in your screenshot, however, the same gmail credentials was working fine in my system. If there isn't any conflict in your system, this has to related to your server.

Could you please check with your host whether the ports are open? for gmail the ports are 587, 465, and see whether there are any issues related to the server side, so that we could have a better idea about this issue.

Would also recommend that you enable debug mode, so that we could see if there are any issues from the plugin side. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

After making the above changes, please setup SMTP, and try to run a Test Connection. The related errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can find more details about debugging here.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Adam
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,
    Okay I've checked with my host provider and I can't use the smtp through the account I have with them, they said use either php or gmail smtp. I've run the debug with my gmail account and attached it here.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Adam,

Only one error in that debug log is about missing database table: enewsletter_groups (in your database it will have a custom prefix) - could you check in your database if that table exists? Other entries related to enewsletter are only notices and not errors.

Let me know how it looks.

kind regards,
    Kasia

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Adam,

How do I check in the database?

To check in your database, you'll have to log into your cPanel, and under PHPMyAdmin, you'll have to check for the table enewsletter_groups in your mentioned database.

If you aren't sure on how to check that, you can send us your credentials so that we could give a closer look at your database. You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -cPanel Login credientals
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Adam,

Thank you for sharing the credentials, I checked your database, and I could see that the table does exist, and and at the moment it's empty, since there isn't any groups created. Maybe the logs are old, and I don't see these errors in the latest logs for the month of January.

I'm pinging the developer regarding this, so that he would be able to give a better idea on why configuring SMTP is not working. I'll keep you posted once I get an update from the developer asap. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Adam,

I got an update regarding this from the developer, and one of the reason for this issue could be that the connection between the web server, and mail server is being blocked. Would recommend you to try setting up the SMTP in eNewsletter, and then check whether any errors are visible in your server logs. You'll have to get in touch with your host, if you don't have access to your server logs.

This should help us in getting a better idea regarding this issue, however you could make use of SMTP plugins, like WP Mail SMTP, and configure it, and see whether it works.

If it does work fine, then you just only have to select WP Mail in the e-Newsletter settings, ie under eNewsLetter > Outgoing Email Settings > Outgoing SMTP Email Settings >
    Email Sending Method

I hope this work, please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.