ENewsletter Import Data Not Working

Hi

When I try to import members using the input tool I am getting strange results, and am really not able to import bulk members.

I have a list of 65,000 emails without names. I have tried to import this, but the name seems to be compulsory. I have tried all kinds of things so that there is a double comma to show that data is missing, but it imports the data into the name fields anyway, so I end up with some email addresses in name fields in the MySQL table – and out of 65,000 it only imported 600 before timing out.

I tried a much smaller sample of about 1,000 emails with names. I caved the file as a csv file using Excel, and checked the integrity of the file using TextEditor against the sample file shown in the Plugin.

It successfully imported 4 out of 1,000, and it showed that the leading characters of many of the addresses had been cut off.

I am not sure where to go with this. I have tried all kinds with differently formatted files, but still am unable ti import more than a handful of names and often these have leading characters missing.

Regards, Paul

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @paul,

I’ve done a quick test here with a small amount and didn’t have any issues. I’m not sure why you’d be missing leading characters. Let me check with the plugin developer to see if he has any ideas on this one.

As for it failing, this could be due to a low execution time on your server. You could try increasing this to give the script more time to complete. https://codex.wordpress.org/Common_WordPress_Errors#Maximum_execution_time_exceeded

Best regards,

• Paul
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi – it’s very frustrating. I just tried again to import 9,000 emails with names. this is the message I got back:

“Import is finished successfully, 91 members are added or subscribed to group(s).

These emails are incorrect:”

It then lists a few emails that have leading characters missing (they are OK in the csv file) and says there are 851 more like it! what happened to the remaining 9,500??

I am sure there is something that I am doing wrong with the cdv files, but I can’t think what. They start out as Excel files (I am using Office 2011 for Mac). I make sure there are 3 columns with no header and save as csv.

Here is a sample of the data when opened in Text Editor (I have xxx’d out the names)

ronxxunv@cableone.net,ronda,xxxxxx

Toxxxer@aol.com,Toxxxxxxr

sxxxxx@rtmc.net,SxxxxxxxxxN

xxxxx27@yahoo.com,kxxxxxxxxle

xxxxxens@aol.com,xxxxxxxxxey

xxxxx7@aol.com,axxxxxxxxxxllo

xxxxain@yahoo.com,xxxxxxxxxxxin

Regards, Paul

• Paul

Sorry – I should have added. The ones that DO import are useless, because in the member list they have an email address in the name field, and the name in the email field with the next email address on the list!

• Paul

I just felt I should give you an update…

I used my Wiindows laptop instead of my Mac and converted the same file to csv using Office for Windows. I saved it as an MsDos .csv file then uploaded to Newsletter. It timed out a few times, but eventually the file was accepted and was properly formatted.

Sometimes I wonder why I use a Mac….. It’s another lesson for all you Microsoft detractors out there!

Regards, Paul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.