[eNewsletter] Newsletter not sending

Dear support team.

This morning I tried to send a newsletter, using Cron. This is something I do once to twice a week.

But today, it doesn't work : https://i.postimg.cc/XqM51LDM/1.png

I've enabled support access : https://blog.defi-ecologique.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=newsletters&newsletter_action=send_newsletter&newsletter_id=33

Regards,

Greg

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hello Greg,

I hope you are doing great today, thank you for your question!

I have tried to access your website via our Support Access to investigate this issue. But there could be some security plugin activated on your site that blocks us accessing to your site.

Would you please send us the login credentials directly to avoid this issue?

As this is a public forum, you should send us your details through our safe contact form

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

using this template:

Subject: “Attn: Ohidul Islam

– WordPress Admin URL: (e.g. https://yoursite.com/wp-admin)

– Username: (admin username)

– Password: (admin password)

– link back to this thread for reference (e.g. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/example-topic)

– any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Best regards,

Ohid

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hello Greg,

Hope you are doing great today!

Could you please confirm me that, you have updated any plugin, theme or WordPress itself prior to the date before newsletters aren’t sending using Cron? Or have you added any new plugins prior that date?

It could be a plugin conflict issue, would you please proceed with a conflict test?

First, create a recent backup in case you lose any settings during the test and have to restore to a previous working state.

Then deactivate all plugins and MU-plugins apart from WPMUDEV Dashboard and eNewsletter, activate a default theme like TwentySeventeen, clear all caches and check again if newsletters are sending using Cron. If Cron is now working, it means that something is conflicting, so start activating the remaining plugins and theme, one by one this time, checking every time for the reported issue, until you reproduce the issue, thus finding the conflicted combination.

Please let me know if you do not found any plugin conflict issue.

Kind regards,

Ohid

• Greg
      • Syntax Hero

Dear Ohid,

I can't really run a plug-in conflict test. This is a live multisite and I have been unable to set up a staging area.

I use DefenderPro to track changes : https://www.defi-ecologique.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=wdf-logging

The previous newsletter that was sent was on the 10th of may.

(Newsletter ID 18 : https://blog.defi-ecologique.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=newsletters)

I've exported the defender activity log to double check what happened (but, frankly, you should update this function because I'm unable to read the CSV file in Excel, the columns are all messed up as well as the UTF8 encoding).

Here is the list of plug-in updates I've ran since the 10th of may :

РGr̩goire Llorca updated plugins: Akismet Anti-Spam to 4.1.2

РGr̩goire Llorca updated plugins: Hustle Pro to 3.0.8.1 & WPMU DEV Dashboard to 4.7.1.1

That last line might have been before the newsletter 18 sending.

My hosting provider also runs logs on the server-side.

I have access log (I don't know how to use it) :

I also have an error log, which mentions cronjobs a few times (see full list in txt file attached).

Maybe you'd like me to ask a few questions to my hosting provider ?

While checking the defender logs, I saw something really weird :

Have you installed this plug-in ?

Regards,

Greg

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have installed WP File Manager to look for eNewsletter and WordPress debug.log file to check whether there has any error logged or not. But there’s was no related error logged there.

But WP Cron jobs depend on the activity on your site and it sometimes can be unreliable because of that.

Can you try replacing WP Cron with Real Cron Job and see if everything is working properly after that?

You can find a guide for that here:

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

Best regards,

Ohid

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hello Greg,

It's a bit hard to say why the Cron job stopped sending emails just recently. We need to figure out what theme/plugin or WordPress update happened in that meantime that could be causing the issue.

As you have said earlier it is not possible for you to setup a staging environment so we suggest you to put your site into maintenance mode and run a conflict test specially deactivating those plugins that have updated in that mean time.

Also as Test connection alers says, could you please ask your server provider about the limit of cron job action and allowed mails limit for per weekly/monthly? So that we can verify that limit is not exceeded as well.

Kind regards,

Ohid

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hello Greg,

So the limit doesn’t seems to be an issue here.

You can try sending newsletter once again to see if it works. Also as I don’t see there’s any right way to remove this sending from the list. It’s better to create a new newsletter copying content from this “Les conséquences de la pollution lumineuse” newsletter and then try sending the new one and delete this “Les conséquences de la pollution lumineuse” newsletter.

Also as I have mentioned above, please try a plugin conflict test specially with those recently updated plugins. There could be some issues underlying there.

Please let me if all these fails and you still can’t send newsletters using Cron. I will escalate this issue to our Second Line Support team. That is dedicated team of developers that are handling unusual cases and custom coding. They deal with more complex issues.

Kind regards,

Ohid

• Greg
      • Syntax Hero

Dear Ohid,

I’ve ran a plug-in conflict test, but couldn’t identify the source of the conflict.

I also remembered that I update the WP core version in the meantime, but I really have no clue how to test that.

What can we do ? I’m really blocked here.

Is there a debug function that could log each what happens each time the cronjob is triggered ?

I think that the first thing to check is whether the “send by cronjob” function is indeed triggered. The second step would be to debug within this function to see which variables, tests or calls have errors.

Regards,

Greg

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hello Greg,

Thank you for the plugin conflict test and informing us about this with all the information. I am bringing our developers attention here and escalating this issue to our Second Line Support team. That is dedicated team of developers that are handling unusual cases. They will give a closer look at this issue.

Also, we would like to get access to your FTP and cPanel server so we can run more tests and debug there. Would you please send us those credentials through a secure contact form using the template below?

Subject: “Attn: Ohidul Islam

-(S)FTP Host:

-(S)FTP Username:

-(S)FTP Password:

-cPanel URL:

-cPanel Username:

-cPanel Password:

– link back to this thread for reference (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/enewsletter-newsletter-not-sending)

– any other relevant urls

Please note that, our SLS team deals with more complex issues, so it might take some time to get back to you. Once we have updates, we will inform you.

Kind regards,

Ohid

• Greg
      • Syntax Hero

Dear Ohidul Islam ,

Have you had time to look at this issue ? I’m quite concerned by how long it takes to even have an update from you guys.

Two days ago, I received the test newsletter that was stuck in the cron list. I thought that you solved the issue and sent a new newsletter to the whole list, but this one got stuck too.

Regards,

Greg

• Panos
    • SLS

Good to know it’s now working! It’s hard to say what removed that action as there is no log. Perhaps some plugin/theme but this is just guessing.

The plugin adds this action upon activation not sure if it was deactivated for a while and it then failed to set the cron on re-activation. Can’t say for sure.

I have installed the WP Crontrol plugin on your site so you can monitor the scheduled tasks on each subsite. For the current subsite the cron’s hook name is e_newsletter_cron_send_7. If that is present in

subsite/site.com/wp-admin/tools.php?page=crontrol_admin_manage_page

then the cron should be running fine.

You can deactivate/delete the Crontrol plugin and re-activate/install when there is an issue with cron tasks again.

Kind regards!

• Greg
      • Syntax Hero

Dear Panos ,

Thank you very much for your help.

I’m quite surprised that it was removed, because I didn’t deactivate the cronjob. Besides, I sent a newsletter two days before opening this ticket and everything worked fine…

That is very strange, but as long as it works :slight_smile:

Regards,

Greg

• Panos
        • SLS

Something did remove it but we don’t have enough info to see what did. I wanted to check if it is related to plugin, so tested activating/deactivating on several sub-sites on a test multisite of mine, but the cron wasn’t removed. I suppose it’s worth testing this on your side too and let us know if you notice anything strange there.

• Ohidul Islam
    • Staff

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your response.

1. To confirm that your website has vulnerability issues you can check your site with Sucuri sitecheck. It helps you detecting if there’s any malware in your website. If there has any we recommend to do a full site audit test for your website, you can hire any professionals like Sucuri who can help you with vulnerability and hacking issue.

2. As you have already a thread for “Hustle wrong share count“, so we do not want to post any reply/solutions for that topic in this thread. Our support members will get back to you on your topic.

Kind regards,

Ohid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.