eNewsletter - question about cron jobs

Hello,
I've never created a cron job or even know what it is exactly. I know it is used to run scripts at specified times, but thats all i know. :slight_smile:

Sooooo, Im using the eNewsletter plugin, and I am using smtp method. Just wondering is there any issues if the list gets too large? Can you use smtp method without cron regardless of how large your list is?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Shane7,

I can't imagine that specifically being an issue, the size of the newsletter list in relation to the cron job. However, the size of the newsletter list itself could get to be an issue depending on your server resources, at which point a newsletter service might actually be the best option.

Also, cron jobs are exactly as you said and in case you're interested and haven't already read it, the wikipedia entry on it is quite detailed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

Cheers,
    David

• Shane7
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks. I'll check that article out.
    Is there something i could ask my host as far as how much resources I have to sending emails?
    Just wondering at what point is it too much to use the enewsletter plugin? I mean if i only have 1000 members, im sure its good. But what about a fansite where you end up getting a hundred thousand members... I probably can not use the enewsletter plugin anymore right?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya

Is there something i could ask my host as far as how much resources I have to sending emails?

Absolutely. Your host provider should be able to give you this info.

Just wondering at what point is it too much to use the enewsletter plugin? I mean if i only have 1000 members, im sure its good. But what about a fansite where you end up getting a hundred thousand members... I probably can not use the enewsletter plugin anymore right?

Yeah, at that point a third party service is probably the best route.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @stergatu,

At that number I'd look into something like mailchimp. We use it ourselves and have a plugin for syncing with your WordPress users here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/mailchimp-newsletter-integration/

It's not simply a matter of "can the plugin handle it". Your server needs to be able to handle it, there can be timeout issues and your hosting provider may not like it.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.