eNewsletter sending emails very slow

I've just sent my first newsletter using the e-newsletter plug-in via cron job. I have clicked the "send" button about 15 minutes ago and as of now, only 75 e-mails have been sent (from 3000+). It moved from 0 to 75 in 10 minutes and hasn't moved since that time.
I have the following setting for CRON Email Sending:
Limitations: Send 0(unlimited) emails per hour and wait 1 second(s) between each email.

• Ash

Hello Greg

I think you are talking wordpress cron job. We don't have control on wp cron job, rather that it depends on the number of visitors on your site, pending cron jobs and the duration.

If you want the cron job to run faster, then you should enable server cron replacing wordpress cron. Here is an article on how you can replace with server cron: https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

Would you please try that and check if it improves? Let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Greg

Dear Ash ,

I've been blocked by my mail provider, Zoho.

So, I'm trying to use a sub-domain hosted on O365 in order to get a more reliable service.

In the meantime, I've had many issues with the plugin.

When I tested, I wanted to send a newsletter. This sending has been cancelled at some point (after sending 104 e-mails or so).
    Then, when I re-sent it, I selected "don't send again to people who already received it" (or something of the sort) but they still got sent twice.

I think that this plug-ins needs a lot of improvement as far as tracking and logging data is concerned.

Once I get it running with O365, I'd like to suggest a few things for you for improving the plug-in. Could you please provide me information about the correct way to proceed ?

Regards,
    Greg

• Greg

Dear Ash
      This is getting quite urgent.

The Office365 DNS still aren't propagated and I keep being blocked on Zoho.
      I removed the newsletter from the Cronlist, so I hope it's going to be better.

However, I just received some "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" notices, from addresses I previously manually deleted from the member's list.

Once I can send using O365, I have to make sure of two things :
      1) The newsletter isn't sent to people who previously received it
      2) It soudln't be sent to people who are in the "unsubscribed" group

How may I make sure of that ?

Regards,
      Greg

• Nithin

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Please do note that writing multiple replies to a ticket, will bring the ticket down the queue, and hence the delay.

Seems like support access to your website wasn't enabled, so I wasn't able to give a closer look.

I could see you have listed multiple issue in the above responses, are all the issue still ongoing? Is it just about emails not getting sent, now?

Could you please send us your credentials, so that we could see how the SMTP is configured, and give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Greg

Dear Nithin ,

I've recently provided Adam Czajczyk with valid credentials, I don't know if he's working with it or not. Could you share them or do you require specific access ?

Here is a summary of the current situation :
      1) At first, I've used Zoho free account to send enewsletters. When I tested it with a single subscriber, everything worked fine (sign-up sequence, sending, opening, etc.)
      2) When the website was released publicly, I sent notice to around 3300 subscribers, using the Cron Option. It took ages (3 days), but it worked. Few e-mail bounced and I manually unsubscribed them all.
      3) When a new post was released, I sent another newsletter to our members, this time using direct send (not cron).
      4) After 50 emails sent, it got stuck by Zoho, because it doesn't allow mass sending on free accounts.
      5) I tried by cronjob again, because I did not know Zoho's policy then, and the e-mail got sent again, but to the same 50 members who received it twice. It got a bit further this time (around 300 emails sent), but it also sent it to the addresses I've previously unsubscribed (and that are marked as "unsubscribed" in the members list).
      6) Now, I've set up a paid O365 subdomain, dedicated to sending newsletter. I've sent a test mail in the settings tab, everything is fine.
      7) When a user subscribes, the confirmation e-mail isn't sent
      8) When I try to finish sending the newsletter, I've got an error message. I also fear that I might send it a third time to the first 50 membres and that I also send it to the bounced and unsubscribed addresses.

• Nithin

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, yes the login credentials shared to Adam should be fine.

5) I tried by cronjob again, because I did not know Zoho's policy then, and the e-mail got sent again, but to the same 50 members who received it twice. It got a bit further this time (around 300 emails sent), but it also sent it to the addresses I've previously unsubscribed (and that are marked as "unsubscribed" in the members list).

I gave a quick test in my website, but I wasn't able to replicate such a behaviour. In general, the eNewsletter plugin shouldn't send the same email to the members twice. Could I know which exact eNewsletter was seen sent? I could see you have over 15 newsletters, did you notice this with all? or was is specific to some newsletter? I guess you meant aren't able to replicate this anymore once switched to O365?

7) When a user subscribes, the confirmation e-mail isn't sent

That's an odd behaviour, I couldn't replicate such an issue in my system. Could I know how are the users subscribing to the e-newsletters? I don't see the subscribe form in the site blog.defi-exxxxxx.com site.

Please point out what's being missed.

8) When I try to finish sending the newsletter, I've got an error message. I also fear that I might send it a third time to the first 50 membres and that I also send it to the bounced and unsubscribed addresses.

Could I know which exact error message you got regarding this? It shouldn't be sending emails twice, but since it occurred it's tough to say whether it'll behave the same way as before too.

Could you please keep the debug mod enabled in your website during such action, so that we could check the logs if the issue occurred again?

Please advise, if I'm missing anything. Have a great day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info, this is an odd behaviour, which I'm not able to replicate in my side. Normally, setting the option "Don't resend to people that had this newsletter sent to", will make sure the email isn't get sent twice to the members in general.

I could notice the mentioned option is already enabled during the send process. So, maybe you could keep Debug mode enabled, and see if the issue occurs again, whether the logs would pin point any specific error that we could look upon.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
    define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

After making the above changes, once the emails are sent, and if the issue occurs again, the related errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can find more details about debugging here.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Greg,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

In the screenshot I provided you, it says "Sent = 0". How could the "don't send again" option identify poeple who received it already if the counter doesn't ?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/?bb_attachments=1362228&bbat=126744

Yes, could notice that, however as mentioned in the previous reply it's something which I'm not able to replicate when e-Newsletter, and Hustle Pro is integrated together, nor could notice any issue with confirmation emails not getting sent.

Normally the "Send To" option displays the number of users the email got sent, and the "Opened" the number of users who has opened the email sent via e-Newsletter.

It's odd that the "Send To" is showing as 0, and "Opened" has value of 46. Enabling debug mode would give a better idea whether there is any site specific errors in the log, or not.

It would mean that testing it again in a live site might bring the same issues again. If that's okay for the time being, you could enable debug mode as mentioned in the previous reply, and check whether any error occurs once the emails are send. You can create groups in eNewsletters, so that the newsletter could be only send to that group test members only, without affecting the real members.

I'm not sure whether you are comfortable with us running such test as it's a live site, so I haven't enabled debug mode etc in your website. If you think you are not comfortable with running such test, since it's a live site, is there any way to setup a staging(clone) website, where this could be tested extensively? This would be a better option in order to troubleshoot it further.

Also, I'm unable to log confirmation e-mails, even though I use the "Log emails" plug-in, as suggested by your colleague : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ultimate-branding-smtp-logging-in-ultimate-branding#post-1362621

I'm afraid, there isn't any integration between Log Emails plugin, and eNewsletter. I tested the mentioned plugin in my system, and it doesn't keep any logs of emails sent via eNewsletter.

At the moment the only way to confirm emails sent, and opened is by checking the "Sent To", and "Opened" tabs as shown in the screenshot, which isn't working correctly in your side though.

Please let us know how enabling debug mode goes, or whether you could setup a staging where this could be tested extensively, your hosting provider should be able to setup a staging site easily.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Greg ,

Thanks for testing this further, and for sharing the logs. Unfortunately the logs doesn't pin point any specific issue within the plugin side. The debug log shared is related to WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, but it shouldn't interfere with how the emails are sent via eNewsLetter plugin.

The error shown in the screenshot normally appears if SMTP configuration isn't correct, I could notice test email does seem to get sent via the plugin side, so SMTP should have been working fine. I'm bringing this logs, and the behaviour into our developers attention to check whether there is anything odd he could notice regarding the setup.

Also, if you think it's possible to setup a staging, it would be really helpful, so it would give a better understanding on where the issue is located too. You can send the credentials of Staging the same way as mentioned in here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/enewsletter-sending-emails-very-slow#post-1361052

Will keep you updated once I get further feedback regarding this. Have a good day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Greg,

It hasn't have to be an exact cloned settings, if you are able to replicate the same issue in your staging site. Thanks for sending in the login credentials, unfortunately I'm not able to login to the site, as it's throwing the following screen error:

Could you please look into it, and see what's being missed, so that we give a closer look, and see what could be done in order to move ahead with troubleshooting the issue.

If you think setting up a staging site isn't something which isn't working at the moment, please do let us know, and I'll check whether our Second Level Support(SLS) would be able to provide some insights regarding this issue too.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Greg,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your staging site, but it looks more like a brand new single site, with eNewsletter settings and SMTP not configured, when compared to your live site which is a Multisite install. As the issue was with eNewsletter plugin, which included a SMTP Setting as seen in live, could you please check whether you could replicate such a behaviour in your new test site with similar settings?

I'm afraid, the staging testde.tk site isn't much helpful with current configuration, since setting up an exact staging is taking more time in your side, I'll escalate this issue to our Second Level Support(SLS) team, and see whether they could give a better idea what could be causing the issue in the live site, without hampering the live sites workflow.

Please do note that SLS works in complex issues, and have a slow response time. We'll get back to you once we have troubleshoot the site further.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi Greg ,

Sorry for the late reply but I've tested eNewsletter on various setups with 4.000+ members and I didn't see any issues at all, that's why it took a while to reply since e-mails need some time to get through.

Everything worked as expected on my end with both Send Now and via Cron.

Since this is a long thread and it's easy to get lost can you summarize for me what is the current issue that you're facing as I can't make a clear case scenario out of all this ?

For example, any mail delivery issue might not be the plugins fault since you've connected it to a 3rd party, that 3rd party is actually handling all the mail processing and it should have it's own logs and settings as well. Same thing as Zoho was stopping the e-mails after 50 for free accounts that you mentioned.

In any case please inform me of these so I can help:

1] Which is the current issue that you're facing?
    2] Is there a list that you don't mind us testing with.
    3] If number 2 is out of the question, can we create our own list even with fake e-mails so we can test the plugins process ?

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi Greg ,

After making some tests. The server always returns a 554 error. To be more specific:

[2019-01-07 12:19:09]Send status: {"error":"DATA not accepted from server","smtp_code":"554","smtp_msg":"5.2.0 STOREDRV.Submission.Exception:SendAsDeniedException.MapiExceptionSendAsDenied; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot submit message. 16.55847:BC270000, 17.43559:0000000094000000000000000100000000000000, 20.52176:140FD785000010100300170E, 20.50032:140FD785701710100A00FA80, 0.35180:E7020000, 255.23226:0A008440, 255.27962:0A000000, 255.27962:0E000000, 255.31418:0A000000, 16.55847:A8000000, 17.43559:0000000070010000000000000200000000000000, 20.52176:140FD785000010100"}

This usually means that the address that the e-mails are sent "FROM" doesn't have permissions on the server to actually send e-mails. Maybe they are total permissions, or no permissions to send html contect emails etc. I can't be sure as that's something your provider handles as well.

After that ( as you can now see as well ) I used my Gmail testing account as an SMTP server to your website and all the Newsletters came through fine.

As you can understand since the SMTP relay is your setup on O365, we don't have access there so we can't provide support. You can contact them though asking them about the 554 message so they can point you out on which e-mail you could use for the e-mails to be sent correctly.

Also, feel free to remove my Gmail SMTP and change the SMTP settings back again to your O365 account as we didn't had the password to change it back for you. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.