eNewsletter - SMTP with gmail not sending

I am having an issue with setting up the eNewsletter plugin with a gmail email address. I am using Wordpress 3.8.1 on GoDaddy Linux hosting.

I have my settings as the below:
From email: emailaddress@gmail.com
SMTP Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Username: emailaddress@gmail.com
SMTP Password: Gmail Password
SMTP Port: 587
Secure SMTP?: TLS

I am getting the following error:
Failed to send test email! - Please check your outgoing email settings and server config to see if selected ports are open. Error details: The following From address failed: emailaddress@gmail.com: Called Mail() without being connected

And I am using my real Gmail address in place of emailaddress@gmail.com.

Thanks for any help.

• David

I am using SMTP.

BTW I get this long error message when testing the connection under bounce settings:

<b>Warning</b>: imap_check(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1983</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_fetch_overview(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1988</b>

<b>Warning</b>: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1990</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_expunge(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>2002</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_close(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>2003</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_check(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1983</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_fetch_overview(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1988</b>

<b>Warning</b>: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1990</b>

<b>War...arning</b>: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1990</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_expunge(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>2002</b>

<b>Warning</b>: imap_close(): 183 is not a valid imap resource in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>2003</b>

Bounce test message not found!

• David

@Brandon
    @Vaughan

Turning off the following features of this plugin make it work with SMTP with Godaddy's Email Server.

Outgoing SMTP Email Settings
    SMTP Port: Leave Blank
    Secure SMTP?: None

However, the Bounce Settings is producing this error:

<b>War...arning</b>: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in <b>/home/adminayana/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1990</b>

Bounce test message not found!

• Vaughan

Hi Guys.

Sorry for the delay on this, These errors look like there's a config issue with your server and not with the plugin itself.

Can you try using the following plugin.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

Run through the setup with that plugin & try sending a test email. It will give you debug info.

If it says anything like the following.
    SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "220-server***.******.net ESMTP Exim 4.82 #2 Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:44:10 +0000 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,

Then this means that your server is configured so that you can't relay emails from it. This means you will either need to contact your host and ask them to allow relays from your account, or use your servers SMTP service from your CPanel instead of gmail.

Hope this helps

• Vaughan

Hi @david,

I have tested the bounce settings on my server and it all seems to work fine for me.

Did you create a new email address to use just for bounces? it sounds like maybe pop3 isn't configured or imap.

I don't know the hostname on godaddy.

but mine is mail.mydomain.co.uk

You say you get those errors? Do you have WP_DEBUG set to true in your wp-debug.php, can you disable it (set to false) as debug messages can actually interfere with scripts functioning too.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.