Enhancement? only alow membership type once, or does this exist already somewhere?

Hello,
If there is a way to currently do this let me know.
I needed a method to allow individuals in groups we are marketing the site to, allow them to get an idea of what the site can offer their users as a free full function trial feature for just that VIP member. We did not want users to have to enter paypal info to get this free demo so the coupon codes were out, along with the fact that you can not charge 0.00 to paypal and the fact that you can not limit the number of months a free promotion is applied to.
My way around this was to set up a password protected promo page where we could give the link to one of these VIP trial users which has a membership plan that does not charge and lasts for 2 months.
What I want to do is limit the user to only signing up to this plan one time and then never use it again, I do not see a mechanism to do this (such as only allow this membership one time per user)
If this is not possible yet I think it would be a good enhancement to add to memberships where a flag is set for a user once they select that membership, and when it expires, if they try to use it again the membership 2 plugin see's that flag and notifies them that they must select a different type of membership, the promo was a one time selection.
Can this be done now? and if not would you consider it for an enhancement? I think it would be super easy to implement.
Thank you again, your support has been excellent.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Dennis

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Currently it's not possible to limit a user to subscribe to a membership only once in Membership 2 Pro. But this sounds like a very interesting feature so I've moved this to our "Features and Feedback" section. Hopefully other members will show their interest in it as well. The more popular the request is, the higher priority it will be.

However, I think I've got a workaround. You said you "set up a password protected promo page where we could give the link to one of these VIP trial users". You can expire that page after a certain time period with Post Expirator plugin. So after your promotions, users will not be able to access the link for signing up with that exclusive VIP trial membership.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Dennis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Rupok,
    Thank you.
    That is a good idea however the principal wants to print the URL on a business card to give out whenever he comes across an opportunity so the page will be permanent. If I see a ton of the promos being used I will just change the password for that page and let the temp users expire or change them to a free level.
    Thanks!,
    Dennis

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dennis,

What about membership with invitation code (you can enable invitations codes in Membership 2 Add-ons) and with full access for finite period of time? Like 1 day. So they register with code your gave them, wander around for while and after 24 hours they don't have access any more. Let me know what do you think.

kind regards
    Kasia

• Dennis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello,
    I would love to give them a invitation code for say 2 months that I can pre-generate and give out, however it seemed when I tried that is changed the entire sites membership to needing an invitation, unless maybe there is a way to set it separately. ie I turned on the invitation addon and all of a sudden instead of being able to join my site you needed an invitation code just to be able to access the site. Please advise.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dennis,

Can you update Membership 2 Pro to latest version as I see that you still use the previous one?

As for invitation codes - they are only for the joining membership - you still should be able to register. But you need to disable invitation codes in Memberships you have (please see the screen) and leave it on only one membership.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.