Error 520 Timeout for Site hosted on WPMU

I can't seem to access my site at http://www.lotr.cards. I've tried restoring a backup from my hosting here at WPMU and the backup restore failed as well.

Currently getting:

Error 524 Ray ID: 4ec843d8bf475c61 • 2019-06-25 16:21:26 UTC

A timeout occurred

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Will

That’s a cloudflare error. Is your site connected to the cloudflare?

Currently, I am seeing a redirect loop error on your site when I visit the domain. Would you please disconnect from cloudflare and point the DNS directly to our hosting IP?

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Will
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK, whatsmydns.net is showing a correct A record for everything but Verizon and a correct AAAA record for everything but Armadale VIC. However, nothing is coming up correctly for CNAME.

Do different record types generally propagate at wildly different rates?

Do I have something obviously wrong with my DNS settings at my registrar? I've attached a screenshot just in case.

• Will
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Site is still giving a 504 after a considerable amount of time. WhatsmyDNS still shows good on A and AAAA but not CNAME. Fairly sure I must be doing something wrong, but I’m not sure what? Should I have any nameservers set?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Will,

We were able to notice My Creds plugin was autoloading a lot of cached values in the database side, which was causing the issue. We have corrected this in the Database side, and now the website is loading fine without any issues. The domains seems to be loading fine, and I don’t see any issues with the DNS in general.

Could you please check, and see whether you still have issues regarding loading the website? Please let us know how that goes so that we could give a closer look if needed.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Will
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Awesome! Looks like I’m up and running again.

Regarding My Creds and the database, do you think this is an issue that is likely I’ll keep running into? Assuming that I want to keep using My Cred, are there some steps I can take to minimize or correct this issue in the future?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Will,

This is more related to the plugin storing large options in the wp_options table in the database, which is autoloaded on every page load. The recommended best practice is to make sure the autoloaded data stored are small, and accessed quickly, so the website loads fast.

We were able to notice that MyCreds was saving a large size of data ie over 198 MB in the options table which was causing the website to slow down, or throw errors as noticed.

I’m afraid, there isn’t much that could be done specifically regarding this in the hosting side, as it’s more related to the plugin storing big data in the DB side.

This seems to be a common scenario with the My Cred plugin:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/mycred-cache-leaderboard-keys/

We have set the Autoload option in the database side to “no” which should ensure that such issues won’t crop up again within the plugin side.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.