Error after migrating site with Installer

OK, this maybe outside of the range of support you are able to provide, but I just attempted to migrate my site from a local (MAMP) dev to the production URL using the Duplicator plugin.

Everything seemed to go ok through the install process, but now if I try to go to the site I get an error msg "Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp() in /home/wodwya/wodwya.com/wp-blog-header.php on line 14" I cant even get into the WP admin site to edit any configurations.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there,

I hope you're well :slight_smile:

The error is saying it can't find the wp(); function, this is a default WordPress function so the fact it can't be found would first make me think that the perhaps the transfer didn't complete, maybe a corrupt file or something.

I'd first quickly try getting a fresh set of WP files and upload them again. Obviously you need a htaccess file and a wp-content file with the correct details in. :slight_smile:

Ensure permissions and file/folder ownership are also good.

Can you give that a shot and see how it goes and let me know?

Take care.

• Edgar
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks, that was helpful and now I have a different error. All the files are in a wordpress directory, so if I go to wodwya.com i am presented with an "Index of..." followed by the names of the folders. If I goto wodwya.com/wordpress, I am told "Error establishing a database connection".

I checjed in the wordpress directory, and there is a wp-content file but I do not see a htaccess file. I looked on my local drive and did not see one there either - maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Ed

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

The index is because the files are in a subfolder, so WordPress isn't there to know what to do. I'd consider moving those up one folder to the root.

So rather than:

wodwya.com/wordpress/

it would just be:

wodwya.com

Unless you have a specific reason to have it subfolder?

Have you exported the DB and imported it to the new host?

And also updated the DB credentials for the new host?

Error establishing DB connection is just that, it can't connect to your DB. So some of the DB information in your wp-config file is wrong.

htaccess are usually invisible files unless, in the FTP program there is usually an option to show/hide these types of files.

Which program are you using?

Take care.

• Edgar

Hi again, sorry I got tied up over the weekend but appreciate your support.

I moved everything into the root, and edited the wp-config file to point to an empty database that I had already created in my hosting account, but am still getting the same error.

Is there somewhere else that I should be configuring database access, or do I need to copy the db with Duplicator and upload that instead of using the one that was previously created?

Thanks!
    Ed

• Edgar

I should attempt to create a new database as part of the Duplicator Install process? I have been using the 'remove all tables' option and providing the auth. information for the existing database.

This is a new site that I was working on doing the design and configuration locally, so there are no critical records in the database, but I am trying to speed things up by uploading all of my designs and configurations, rather than trying to reproduce them all manually. There is some dummy data there that I am ok with being uploaded, but I will only delete it.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

You said you were migrating a site, so to do that you need to take your DB from wherever it is now, and them import it to the database where you're migrating too.

If you don't need that data then you're not really migrating the site, you could just do a fresh install and follow the famous WordPress 5 minute install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ell0SiTZyX8

If what you need to bring over is just the theme then you can simply take that and upload to the new site.

Take care.

• Edgar

Thanks Timothy, I think that I am going to go the route of the fresh install and rebuild. There were a few edits to .css and some pages that had been built, but at this point rebuildiing and copying/pasting will be faster I think than trying to figure out the duplicator upload configureation.

Thanks for your support and sticking with me!

Ed

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.