Error code loading Categories page with MarketPress Plugin

Hello - my first time working with an eCommerce plugin, love WPMU Dev and want to use MarketPress so I sincerely hope your offer of support 24/7 is real because I will need much :slight_smile: ... I learn fast though.

I am using a Catalyst Dynamic Theme with a skin overlay with the MarketPress plugin - several product pages are loaded but not live from the front end of the site (http://precisionbydesign.com).

When I go to /store/products/category/"my category" (i.e., http://precisionbydesign.com/store/products/category/snow-mobile-products/) I am receiving this error:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/precisio/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2583

If you could point me in a direction to resolving this issue, that would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hi @rozberry

thanks for posting, sorry to hear you're having some issues.

This most likely is a theme issue.

could you follow this thread, and see if it relates to you.

i'm not sure of what theme you're using, but here's a fix for the genesis theme.

Ok here's the fix for Studio Press for error I have been experiencing:

>>> wp-content/themes/genesis/lib/structure/header.php

Replace:

if ( $canonical )
    printf( '<link rel="canonical" href="%s" />' . "\n", esc_url( apply_filters( 'genesis_canonical', $canonical ) ) );

With:

if ( ( $canonical ) && (is_string($canonical)) )
    printf( '<link rel="canonical" href="%s" />' . "\n", esc_url( apply_filters( 'genesis_canonical', $canonical ) ) );

the fix is simple, it's just checking the $var to see whether it's a string or not.

hope this helps.

thanks

• dlmktng
    • New Recruit

I am having the same issue. I have an installation that has been running fine for a year but after updating Wordpress, Catalyst/Dynamix, and Marketpress, Categories are broken. I don't know anything about code, but did take a look at it.

Line 2583: $url = preg_replace('|[^a-z0-9-~+_.?#=!&;,/:%@$\|*\'()\\x80-\\xff]|i', '', $url);

I have deleted products and categories, reset with new products and categories, and nothing works. I have deactivated all plugins and reactivated. Marketpress is the problem. Product categories don't work.

Here is the error message when a category is clicked:
    Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/laneles/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2583

Please let me know a fix for this.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya @dlmktng

can you have a read of my previous post & check the thread out i linked to, the solution is there. this is a theme related issue. however if you aren't using a genesis framework theme, the solution should still work, but maybe slightly different for your theme.

thanks

• dlmktng
    • New Recruit

Hello Vaughn,

I had already looked at that thread and at the solution and cannot make sense of it in Catalyst. It does seem a bit unusual that it would be a problem with the theme if both Genesis and Catalyst have the same error message on line 2583, but I am not a coder and wouldn't know if that would be normal.

If you have other suggestions, please let me know. I need to get this site going asap.

Thanks

• rozberry
    • New Recruit

dlmktng

I was able to move past this issue by turning off the canonical SEO options under Caalyst --> Core Options --> SEO.

I was not able to find any reference to canonical in the formatting.php or header files. I don't think it is the best solution but it gets me past this issue at least.

I am having other issues with the theme integration and since I am not a programmer or designer I may well have to decide to either ditch the theme/skin or marketpress :slight_frown:.

Hope this helps you move forward.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

I will flag the developer for some feedback on this. I'm almost sure this is a theme related issue, otherwise we would be seeing this problem everywhere.

Aaron is away till tomorrow, so could take a little longer to respond.

hope this helps.

thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.