Error creating custom post type template

I am trying to insert my short codes into the custom post template file (single-definitions.php
Select theme to edit:
named after rewrite slug) but I get

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/content/02/8916902/html/fiveyr/wp-content/themes/canvas/single-definitions.php on line 31

Here is the template code:

<?php
/**
 * Single Post Template
 * This template is the default page template. It is used to display content when someone is viewing a
 * singular view of a post ('post' post_type).
 * @link http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Post
 * @package WooFramework
 * @subpackage Template
 */

get_header();
?>

<!-- #content Starts -->
	<?php woo_content_before(); ?>
    <div id="content" class="col-full">

<div id="main-sidebar-container">    

<!-- #main Starts -->
            <?php woo_main_before(); ?>
            <section id="main">
<?php
	woo_loop_before();

if (have_posts()) { $count = 0;
		while (have_posts()) { the_post(); $count++;
<strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_text_5260ae8773dea" property="title"]'); ?>
          </strong>: <?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_text_5260ae8773dea" property="value"]'); ?>
<strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_textarea_5260aed010ff0" property="title"]'); ?> </strong>:  <?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_textarea_5260aed010ff0" property="value"]'); ?> </strong>
<strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="ct_Reference_text_5ee9" property="title"]'); ?> </strong>: <?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="ct_Reference_text_5ee9" property="value"]'); ?>
			woo_get_template_part( 'content', get_post_type() ); // Get the post content template file, contextually.
		}
	}

woo_loop_after();
?>
            </section><!-- /#main -->
            <?php woo_main_after(); ?>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

</div><!-- /#main-sidebar-container -->         

<?php get_sidebar('alt'); ?>

</div><!-- /#content -->
	<?php woo_content_after(); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>
  • Alexander

Hi @Shahram,

As the error suggests, take a look at line 31

while (have_posts()) { the_post(); $count++;
    <strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_text_5260ae8773dea" property="title"]'); ?>

The tag is still happening inside PHP, then PHP is reopened again.

You can easily fix this by closing PHP first by adding ?> after count++;

while (have_posts()) { the_post(); $count++; ?>

Let me know how it goes!
    Best regards,

• Patrick

Hi @Shahram

As @Alexander Rohmann mentioned, you need to close php like he has shown:

But then you must open it again here:
    <?php woo_get_template_part( 'content', get_post_type() ); // Get the post content template file, contextually.

Here is your template code, modified. It should work:

<?php
    /**
     * Single Post Template
     * This template is the default page template. It is used to display content when someone is viewing a
     * singular view of a post ('post' post_type).
     * @link http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Post
     * @package WooFramework
     * @subpackage Template
     */

get_header();
    ?>

<!-- #content Starts -->
    	<?php woo_content_before(); ?>
        <div id="content" class="col-full">

<div id="main-sidebar-container">    

<!-- #main Starts -->
                <?php woo_main_before(); ?>
                <section id="main">
    <?php
    	woo_loop_before();

</strong>: <?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_text_5260ae8773dea" property="value"]'); ?>
    <strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_textarea_5260aed010ff0" property="title"]'); ?> </strong>:  <?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_textarea_5260aed010ff0" property="value"]'); ?> </strong>
    <strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="ct_Reference_text_5ee9" property="title"]'); ?> </strong>: <?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="ct_Reference_text_5ee9" property="value"]'); ?>
    		<?php woo_get_template_part( 'content', get_post_type() ); // Get the post content template file, contextually.
    		}
    	}

woo_loop_after();
    ?>
                </section><!-- /#main -->
                <?php woo_main_after(); ?>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

</div><!-- /#main-sidebar-container -->         

<?php get_sidebar('alt'); ?>

</div><!-- /#content -->
    	<?php woo_content_after(); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>
  • Patrick

@Shahram

Ah, I think I see what the problem is here.

You are using a child-theme of the Canvas theme, and have tried creating a custom template using the default page template. But I think in Canvas you need to use the content templates.

I've just downloaded and installed Canvas on a test site, and will try to figure out how to get it done. I'll post back when I do. :slight_smile: Hang on...

• Patrick

@Shahram

Yep, that was the issue.

First, delete the page template you made. Then copy the content.php template from Canvas to your child-theme, and rename it content-yourposttype.php. For example, I have a custom post type called "mytype", so my template is content-mytype.php.

That is the template your theme will use to display your custom post type in all single and archive views. Easy-peasy. :slight_smile:

You can add your custom field shortcodes inside section class="entry" like this:

<section class="entry">
        <?php
        	the_content();
        	wp_link_pages( $page_link_args );
        ?>
    	 <strong>Custom field: </strong><?php echo do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_text_52627b7fde53f" property="value"]'); ?>
    </section><!-- /.entry -->

To get your custom post types to display on your homepage and in archives along with your regular posts, add the following to your child-theme's functions.php. Change mytype to the actual name of your post type.

// Show custom post types on home page and archives
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'add_custom_post_types_to_home_and_archives' );

function add_custom_post_types_to_home_and_archives( $query ) {
    	if ( is_home() || is_archive() && $query->is_main_query() )
    		$query->set( 'post_type', array( 'post', 'mytype' ) );
    	return $query;
    }

To get the custom post type titles to display like your regular post titles in archives, you may also want to add a bit of custom CSS in Canvas Theme Options under General Settings > Display Options. Change the color to whatever color you have set for your post titles in the theme options.

.mytype .title a:link, .mytype .title a:visited {color:#222222; }

One more thing: if you are using custom taxonomies for your post type, you may want to make another change so they appear in the post meta and, when clicked, go to a taxonomy archive page. I was just in the middle of testing some things out for that when my host's servers went down. So I'll have to get back to you on that, sorry.