'Error establishing a database connection' when trying to access defender

Hi,
Overtime I try to look e.g. at defender settings, my site freezes. I get an 'Error establishing a database connection' which disappears after about 10 minutes (server/dbase reboot?).

Anybody ideas? Website is running on an iPage account.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Paul,

Sounds like this might be related to the server hiccup we just ran into and had to perform some maintenance, it should be all fixed up now :slight_smile: sorry about that.

Can you try again, and if you're still getting an error can you grant support access so we can have a closer look?

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Grant Support Access.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Paul

Sorry, no improvement and still the same error. Had he same issue with certain templates of yours :slight_frown:
    Could it be memory-related on account of my webhoster?

I deactivated some WPMUDEV plugins I wanted to test; that seemed to help a little, but not sufficient.

Do all your plugins/themes rely on your servers/serverconnections? That wouldn't be a plus :slight_frown:
    I grant you support access to check it out.

Regards,
    Paul E. Groeneveld

• Paul

I haven't received an answer yet from my hosting provider, but did get this error above the database error when navigating to defender, hope it helps...:

Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1203): User 50pZXaI6b1gNp82 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /hermes/bosnaweb06a/b984/ipg.ingoodsompanycom/sites/allemaalgroeneveldjes/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1489 Warning: mysql_connect(): User 50pZXaI6b1gNp82 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /hermes/bosnaweb06a/b984/ipg.ingoodsompanycom/sites/allemaalgroeneveldjes/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1515 Ticket #11289, IE bug fix: always pad the error page with enough characters such that it is greater than 512 bytes, even after gzip compression abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890aabbccddeeffgghhiijjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz11223344556677889900abacbcbdcdcededfefegfgfhghgihihjijikjkjlklkmlmlnmnmononpopoqpqprqrqsrsrtstsubcbcdcdedefefgfabcadefbghicjkldmnoepqrfstugvwxhyz1i234j567k890laabmbccnddeoeffpgghqhiirjjksklltmmnunoovppqwqrrxsstytuuzvvw0wxx1yyz2z113223434455666777889890091abc2def3ghi4jkl5mno6pqr7stu8vwx9yz11aab2bcc3dd4ee5ff6gg7hh8ii9j0jk1kl2lmm3nnoo4p5pq6qrr7ss8tt9uuvv0wwx1x2yyzz13aba4cbcb5dcdc6dedfef8egf9gfh0ghg1ihi2hji3jik4jkj5lkl6kml7mln8mnm9ono

Error establishing a database connection
    This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at ingoodsompanycom.ipagemysql.com. This could mean your host’s database server is down.
    * Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    * Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    * Are you sure that the database server is running?
    If you’re unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

• Hoang Ngo

Paul,

This is because your database reached the limit of how many connections it can handle at a time. But if it only triggered when you visit the Defender page, so I think it's another reason.

For further debug, Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.